Hudson River Skyline Route during stadium TFR

xueuni

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
uni
I'll be in NYC area and would like to fly the Skyline Route southbound in bravo out of HPN. Due to scheduling, there's some chance that when I return northbound, the Yankee Stadium TFR would become active. I wonder if it's a good idea to go along the JFK shore at 500ft then turn northbound once the bravo floor raises to 1500ft in order to return to HPN. Is there a recommended route to go back to HPN at the southern tip of the corridor except for making a u-turn going north over the Hudson river again?

There is no way to legally go south- or northbound along the Hudson Corridor if the Stadium TFR is in effect. I am assuming you can't file IFR as that would make this route trivial.

I've done the beach route several times. Watch your altitude carefully! There is a penalty for going over 500' and a bigger penalty for going below 0' ASL. :eek:

Proceeding east, stay below 500' until the inlet just west of Jones Beach. Proceed east, and join the 13* radial to the DPK VOR and once past the VOR itself, the Northport Stacks make a great visual waypoint. Once beyond the JFK 20 mile ring, your altitude is not restricted. Watch for the LGA 20 mile ring, though.

All this makes it sound harder than it is. Pay attention and you will be fine.

-Skip

Note. You can talk to JFK tower and request higher than 500' (with bravo clearance) for the south shore route. Depending on which runway is in use and how busy they are, they may grant it.

Also, if you are taking the skyline route back north, you will likely be talking to LGA and you can request for them to coordinate with TEB to route you to the west of the stadium TFR. This is fairly common.

There is no way to legally go south- or northbound along the Hudson Corridor if the Stadium TFR is in effect. I am assuming you can't file IFR as that would make this route trivial.

Is this true? 91.145 says "unless other authorized by ATC". If you're in the Bravo airspace, talking to LGA and following their instructions, aren't you otherwise authorized by ATC?

This strikes me as the same issue as the Disney "T"FR in Orlando. On an VFR arrival from the NW into KISM, you have to descend through the "T"FR and if you're instructed by ATC to do so, it's no problem.

But you are not in Bravo airspace.

It is called the Hudson River Exclusion.

More to your point, yes ATC can authorize this. But I have never heard of this happening.

-Skip

But you are not in Bravo airspace.

It is called the Hudson River Exclusion.

More to your point, yes ATC can authorize this. But I have never heard of this happening.

-Skip
Two different things. Exclusion is VFR uncontrolled , Skyline is Bravo above the exclusion.

I've done the beach route several times. Watch your altitude carefully! There is a penalty for going over 500' and a bigger penalty for going below 0' ASL. :eek:

Proceeding east, stay below 500' until the inlet just west of Jones Beach. Proceed east, and join the 13* radial to the DPK VOR and once past the VOR itself, the Northport Stacks make a great visual waypoint. Once beyond the JFK 20 mile ring, your altitude is not restricted. Watch for the LGA 20 mile ring, though.

All this makes it sound harder than it is. Pay attention and you will be fine.

-Skip

Thanks for the detailed explanation! One follow up question: is there any caveat to just turn north at Jones Beach direct HPN instead of flying towards DPK VOR then turn northwest?

So, talk to LGA and fly at 1301 Ft in the bravo. Yes, that's not in the exclusion zone, but close enough.

Yes sir, the stadium TFR is due to come up soon and I'd like to be under your control to get north of it.

Stupid question time, is there a place I can look to see if stadium TFR's will be active on a future flight? I know I can look just prior to takeoff but all the sites I've found only show current TFR's and I'd rather plan for something in advance so I can work around it without a rush.

Talk to TEB tower and try to cut into their airspace. Sometimes they say yes, sometimes no.

This site lists them, but a new one can still appear quickly. https://tfr.faa.gov/tfr2/list.html. Stadium tfrs are not on this list, the FAA expects you to know when events are occurring.

TFRs also show up in ForeFlight in advance.

Last edited:
With LGA being as quiet as it is right now; ask the tower for direct and you’ll likely get it. we were cleared for a visual 22 the other day south of the GWB. In an A321

This site lists them, but a new one can still appear quickly. https://tfr.faa.gov/tfr2/list.html. Stadium tfrs are not on this list, the FAA expects you to know when events are occurring.

TFRs also show up in ForeFlight in advance.
Yep, that's the site I was looking at. I'm thrifty and don't use FF. If Flight Plan go has the same info I'd be interested as its a free app very similar to FF with its own quirks.

Stupid question time, is there a place I can look to see if stadium TFR's will be active on a future flight? I know I can look just prior to takeoff but all the sites I've found only show current TFR's and I'd rather plan for something in advance so I can work around it without a rush.

www.yankees.com. The TFR goes up for the games played at home. -Skip

Skyvector shows the active and upcoming ones if you have the TFR layer enabled. Not sure how far in advanced it starts showing them though.

Back