Time for voting

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's part of the problem - it should be about the particular candidate, not the party. And if it's about the individual then yes, a short campaign season should be all that's needed.
I would love to get rid of the two party system so that if we elect the "best person", they will be allowed to vote their conscience and not just the party line. (I know that is political, but at least it is completely non-partisan). I'll delete it if anyone objects.

Moderate moderation? Go big or go home!

I’ve heard a comment that seems to hold up: Vote for the person in State and local elections and vote for the party in national elections.

It does seem that in DC the elected individual has to toe the party line or there’s a very short career for that person.

I’ve heard a comment that seems to hold up: Vote for the person in State and local elections and vote for the party in national elections.

Sometimes.

When I was 18 and first registered to vote, I was living in Jacksonville, FL. At that time, one party dominated local politics to the extent that the other party often didn't even nominate a candidate. The result was that many local races were decided by the primary, and Florida does not have open primaries. If I wanted to have a vote in local elections, therefore, I had to be registered in the leading party. But that didn't effect how I voted in national races.

I would love to get rid of the two party system
Our first pass the post voting system pretty much ensures a two party outcome. If we could get on board with a better one, like ranked choice/instant run-off voting or at least approval voting, third parties would stand a better chance. Unfortunately the two-party system is one of the few things that both parties can agree on (neither wants competition from third parties). That being said, RCV is starting to make progress. I look forward to voting for it on a MA ballot measure this election.

https://www.fairvote.org

Our first pass the post voting system pretty much ensures a two party outcome. If we could get on board with a better one, like ranked choice/instant run-off voting or at least approval voting, third parties would stand a better chance. Unfortunately the two-party system is one of the few things that both parties can agree on (neither wants competition from third parties). That being said, RCV is starting to make progress. I look forward to voting for it on a MA ballot measure this election.

https://www.fairvote.org
Why wouldn't the predominate predominant party, if it stood a good chance of losing a particular race, simply flood the race with more candidates to prevent the presumptive winner from winning on the first count, as a strategy to win steal the election on the second or third?

Last edited:
Why wouldn't the predominate party, if it stood a good chance of losing a particular race, simply flood the race with more candidates to prevent the presumptive winner from winning on the first count, as a strategy to win steal the election on the second or third?
How does that steal the election? It would only work if they can come up with a candidate that 50% of the electorate approves of, which is the whole goal. If they just flooded the race with candidates who no one cares about or wants, those people would get eliminated quickly in the first few rounds of re-allocation because those candidates would be ranked lowest or not at all. Furthermore it only stops the presumptive winner on the first count if they can get enough people to rank their flood candidates above the presumptive winner, which indicates the presumptive winner isn't actually that strongly preferred. If the electorate strongly (meaning >50% of the electorate) prefer a single candidate enough to rank them first, it doesn't matter how many other candidates there are.

One of the biggest strengths of RCV/IRV is that it prevents "strategic" voting where voters have to sacrifice a vote for their preferred candidates for a vote for the most palatable person they think actually has a shot at winning. RCV/IRV allows much more information about the voter's actual desires to be considered in the election.

Last edited:
How does that steal the election? It would only work if they can come up with a candidate that 50% of the electorate approves of, which is the whole goal. If they just flooded the race with candidates who no one cares about or wants, those people would get eliminated quickly in the first few rounds of re-allocation because those candidates would be ranked lowest or not at all.
Who says nobody cares about the other candidates? I may not understand this voting scheme at all, but my instincts tell me it's a set-up for the majority party to remain in power when faced with an unpopular incumbent that will probably lose to the minority party. To knock the challenger down below 50% they'd flood the race with alternative "friendlies". Not possible you say? :dunno:

Why wouldn't the predominate party, if it stood a good chance of losing a particular race, simply flood the race with more candidates to prevent the presumptive winner from winning on the first count, as a strategy to win steal the election on the second or third?
Predominant

One of the biggest strengths of RCV/IRV is that it prevents "strategic" voting where voters have to sacrifice a vote for their preferred candidates for a vote for the most palatable person they think actually has a shot at winning.
When Bill Clinton got elected with, what?, 38% of the vote because Ross Perot was in the race, are you saying Clinton would have lost because a second choice would have peeled off votes from him to Perot and from Perot to H.W. Busch Bush for the win? Isn't that similar to what I was saying about protecting the incumbent candidate?

Last edited:
Please cite references in the Constitution or Amendments. The only specific dates I remember are election and swearing in of the new Pres. The reason for the months in between was for people to travel by horse to the capitol. And new congressional members are sworn in days/weeks before the Pres.
Pull out your pocket BOR and read it.

As I see it, the only advantage to ranked choice voting is that is prevents the need for a runoff in places that require a 50% majority. They do ranked choice voting in local elections here. I've noticed that two candidates with similar views will sometimes ally themselves in order to defeat a 'stronger' opponent.

I think we were considering 'commenting on moderation', speculating on why X got the banhammer, or people complaining about why their post was deleted, etc., not a blanket ban on questions about moderation.

Did you delete the post that locked the other thread?

Since I was the last one to post, do I get the IBTL prize?

Lol. It was one a few up from yours that I thought was the culprit. But now I'm wondering if the culprit got removed. I made a reference here to what I thought was the one. I'm just gonna delete that post

Lol. It was one a few up from yours that I thought was the culprit. But now I'm wondering if the culprit got removed. I made a reference here to what I thought was the one. I'm just gonna delete that post
I hope it was mine!

I've killed a lot of threads in the past, but not usually by getting them locked.

When Bill Clinton got elected with, what?, 38% of the vote because Ross Perot was in the race, are you saying Clinton would have lost because a second choice would have peeled off votes from him to Perot and from Perot to H.W. Busch for the win? Isn't that similar to what I was saying about protecting the incumbent candidate?
We have no way of knowing because we don't know who the Perot voters' second choice was. Under RCV Perot, the candidate with the least first choice votes (assuming that the first choice votes would be the same as the actual election results which isn't actually what is likely due to strategic voting), would be eliminated and his votes re-distributed per his voters' second choice. If enough Perot voters liked clinton enough to put him as second that he reaches 50%, then yes he would win, if not then Bush would hit 50% and win.

RCV helps prevent a relatively unpopular candidate win by splitting the opposition vote. Lets say there is a region which we say is 80% moderate and 20% "extreme." 80% of the people definitely don't want the extreme candidate to win, but lo and behold 5 moderate candidates run but there is only 1 extreme candidate. All 20% of the extreme voters vote for the one extreme candidate, so they get 20%, and the moderate vote is split amongst the 5 moderate candidates equally with 16% each. Under our current voting system the extreme candidate would win, because they got the most votes, even though 80% of the population don't want them because all the moderate vote was split. With RCV the least popular moderate candidate would be discarded, votes re-allocated (to one of the remaining 4 moderate candidates because remember the district is overwhelmingly moderate) and the process repeated until someone gets 50%. In this situation the winner will not be the extreme candidate because they were ranked last for 80% of the votes.

CGP Grey explains the benefits of RCV, single-transferrable vote (RCV applied to multi-seat elections), and the problems with FPTP much better than I can. I encourage you to check out his videos

I am not claiming RCV to be a panacea to all our electoral problems, but the tendency for a two party system to emerge from plurality voting/FPTP is a very widely accepted phenomena in political science (known as Duverger's Law).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duverger's_law

Last edited:
RCV helps prevent a relatively unpopular candidate win by splitting the opposition vote. Lets say there is a region which we say is 80% moderate and 20% "extreme." 80% of the people definitely don't want the extreme candidate to win, but lo and behold 5 moderate candidates run but there is only 1 extreme candidate. All 20% of the extreme voters vote for the one extreme candidate, so they get 20%, and the moderate vote is split amongst the 5 moderate candidates equally with 16% each. Under our current voting system the extreme candidate would win, because they got the most votes, even though 80% of the population don't want them because all the moderate vote was split. With RCV the least popular moderate candidate would be discarded, votes re-allocated (to one of the remaining 4 moderate candidates because remember the district is overwhelmingly moderate) and the process repeated until someone gets 50%. In this situation the winner will not be the extreme candidate because they were ranked last for 80% of the votes.
I must be dull. If you substitute "Majority party" where you say "moderate" and "Minority party" where you say "extreme", it seems to prove my point: protect the majority (which is probably the bad incumbent).

Btw, I don't know where you were when Perot ran, but I think it's pretty much a sure bet his votes came mostly from Bush. Many didn't like his renege on "Read my lips, no new taxes." He broke that promise when he reached across the aisle in a compromise, then they burned him with it.

Last edited:
protect the majority (which is probably the bad incumbent).

But in this situation the moderate/majority party *should* win because they best represent the electorate's views. One of the many problems with FPTP is that it can lead to minority rule. Furthermore, FPTP naturally forces third parties out and prevents challenges to the two party system by third parties. Again I suggest you look at the links I posted.

That RCV may end up giving us 3 candidates that each have won States using that method but neither has enough Electoral College votes to win (270).

Then the 12th Amendment kicks in and the Congress selects a President and the Senate select a VP.

This seems to indicate the game is rigged towards a two party system, and it is (and was).

But in this situation the moderate/majority party *should* win because they best represent the electorate's views. One of the many problems with FPTP is that it can lead to minority rule. Furthermore, FPTP naturally forces third parties out and prevents challenges to the two party system by third parties. Again I suggest you look at the links I posted.
I thought this RCV thing was supposed to be the cure for voting the party line. But you make a case that seems to strengthen the party over the individual, no?

That RCV may end up giving us 3 candidates that each have won States using that method but neither has enough Electoral College votes to win (270).
The electoral college is a whole separate kettle of fish which also promotes the two party system. As you point out, if you have a strong third party, it would be expected that no one reaches 270 and as a result the incumbent House party will win the presidency. As you say, the electoral college inherently promotes a two party system as third parties will act to produce an even *less* democratic (little d, not big D) outcome when coupled with the electoral college.

I thought this RCV thing was supposed to be the cure for voting the party line. But you make a case that seems to strengthen the party over the individual, no?
Please watch the videos! As I said, they explain it much better than I can.

RCV encourages people to vote based on their views because they need not fear "wasting" their vote (strategic voting) and ending up with someone they absolutely dislike.

RCV encourages people to vote based on their views because they need not fear "wasting" their vote (strategic voting) and ending up with someone they absolutely dislike.
After the Perot debacle, I doubt very much people fear wasting their vote, they more are afraid of empowering the other candidate.

After the Perot debacle, I doubt very much people fear wasting their vote, they more are afraid of empowering the other candidate.
Which is exactly what RCV prevents (wasting a vote == empowering the candidate you don't like)! Honestly I will say it one more time, please watch the videos. If you aren't willing to even learn about what RCV is or how it works, I am not sure what to say.

As long as we have the EC, the 2 Party System on a national level is here to stay.
It's not the EC per se, it's that a lot of states use "winner takes all" and mandated voting for the candidate that won the state. And now some have joined a compact to give all their votes to the one that wins the popular vote.

This means that the protection of electors judgement to vote against against unqualified or objectionable candidates is lost.

And now some have joined a compact to give all their votes to the one that wins the popular vote.

This means that the protection of electors judgement to vote against against unqualified or objectionable candidates is lost.

I find it incomprehensible that a state legislature would vote to throw their EC votes to the popular vote winner. It effectively renders the voter of their state mostly irrelevant. Nobody should spend an ounce of effort campaigning in their state or trying to woo their voters.

On the second point, the Supreme Court has recently ruled that a State may punish faithless electors. Some of the various punishments include fines and jail time, plus an elector can be removed and their vote nullified. I don't believe that's the way it was intended, but the Court disagrees me with a lot ;);):D:D

MY vote goes to the guy that wants a US State web page enter with a US secure pass code. 1 vote 1 person.
It work with Amazon :)

It's not the EC per se, it's that a lot of states use "winner takes all" and mandated voting for the candidate that won the state. And now some have joined a compact to give all their votes to the one that wins the popular vote.

Some States are not a winner take all, but most are. And they could, probably, implement the RVC (or whatever it is). But once the State legislature assigns the electors, the EC and the US Constitution has the ball.

That popular vote compact is probably unconstitutional, but I don’t think the SC can rule on it until a State uses it and a voter takes it to court.

I find it incomprehensible that a state legislature would vote to throw their EC votes to the popular vote winner. It effectively renders the voter of their state mostly irrelevant. Nobody should spend an ounce of effort campaigning in their state or trying to woo their voters.
Seeing a lot of campaigning or wooing being done in Wyoming or Rhode Island are you?

Right now the EC has resulted in essentially 4-5 swing states getting non-stop attention from candidates and the rest nothing. Republican voices in California are just as unheard as Democratic ones in Kentucky.

Seeing a lot of campaigning or wooing being done in Wyoming or Rhode Island are you?

Right now the EC has resulted in essentially 4-5 swing states getting non-stop attention from candidates and the rest nothing. Republican voices in California are just as unheard as Democratic ones in Kentucky.

It's called the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact (NPVIC). Under this whoever wins the the popular vote will win the election. Most of the states lean strongly toward the Democrat side, so I imagine that as soon as a Democrat fails to wins the popular vote, the states will vote to abolish it.

And "swing states" getting the vote is not true. 4 years ago, nobody was paying attention to Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin and most people were shocked when they turned out to be the swing states.

It's called the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact (NPVIC). Under this whoever wins the the popular vote will win the election. Most of the states lean strongly toward the Democrat side, so I imagine that as soon as a Democrat fails to wins the popular vote, the states will vote to abolish it.

I am well aware of what the NPVIC is. I am stating that your implication that the EC promotes campaigning and attention to a large number of states isn't supported by the evidence. But of course you went and made it partisan.

The EC coupled with winner take all allocation of EC electors naturally sets up the concept of swing states. Which states in particular are swing states changes over time as demographics and the partisan landscape change, but there will always be a few tipping point states where the demographics are such that the race is very close and these states are the ones that decide who gets over the 270 line. Candidates will always focus on these states because there is no incentive to waste resources in safe states where they can be assured of a comfortable victory. Our hyper partisan environment only makes this worse as there are fewer and fewer states which are not comfortably safe. This could be made better with removing the winner take all nature of 48 states (ME and NE both do not have winner take all) and allocating the EC electors somewhat proportionally, so now minority voices in "safe states" actually carry some weight. There are other issues with the EC though.

Not necessarily. I looked it up once, and of the five times in our history that the electoral college went the opposite way of the popular vote, in every case it was the Democratic candidate who failed to gain the presidency as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back