EI CGR-30P and -30C in PA-30

Banjo33

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Banjo33
Looking to install the EI CGR-30Ps and C in my Twin Comanche. I’m trying to get my worksheets completed to order but struggling a little with trying to decide which functions to put where.

For instance, I’ve heard the fuel total functions may not work well with the “resistive sensors” that come stock in our aircraft. I’m not planning to use this function yet if I have to change the tank senders, but will use it in the future if my stock fuel tank gauge dies. Does anyone have experience with the stock fuel senders? Also, the fuel selector lever in the plane tells the gauge which tank to display, does this function work the same way on the -30P/C or do I have to display each tank on the display? I think the CGR has to display each tank as the switch functionality is at the fuel selector in the cockpit, yet the CGR’s tank info probably goes from each tank direct to the EDC. Just thinking out loud here, but I already have a Shadin that’s dialed in, maybe forego fuel flow on the -30P and just do L Aux/L Main and R Aux/R Main on the -30C for when I do remove the stock fuel gauge?

I’m thinking each -30P will display MP, RPM, EGT, CHT, Oil Press, Oil Temp, Volts (on left), Amps (on right) on the main page.

I think the -30C will ultimately be Fuel flow L, Fuel flow R, L Aux, R Aux, L Main, R Main, Oil Press L, Oil Press R. If I don’t connect the CGR to the fuel system yet, I may even delay installing the -30C for now too as it won’t be providing any additional info.

I’d appreciate recommendations/discussions!

On second thought, I may just use volts on both -P‘S to monitor each engine’s alternator. I already have an amp gauge that monitors total amps.

The CRG-30P/C is a great combo in most cases eliminating all legacy primary gauges. Cleaning up all the annunciators and various gauges across the panel into one nice clean unit looks great and easier to use in my experience.

Consider getting aggressive eliminating legacy indicators. Understand deferring fuel sender upgrades as they are expensive. EI could prepare the harness for you now, and have the unit reprogrammed later to display fuel. Worth checking with them.

Last edited:
Another thought... I don't own a twin, but something I might like is taking helpful but non-primary data for each engine and displaying in column form (left & right). %HP comes to mind as that data is available for each engine's CGR-30P, but might be nice to see together with one button press colocated on a CGR-30C. Might try laying out configuration on paper and desk fly the options.

Here's my CGR-30P config performing this exercise:
CGR-30P Config form.png

Call and talk to them, when we installed Dad's CGR-30P IIRC the oil pressure would not be on the home screen if we installed the fuel quantity system too. Since it looks like your're doing -P and -C maybe there isn't home screen real-estate issues.

Instead we installed a CGR-30P without the fuel quantity interface (we did install fuel flow) and installed a standalone fuel quantity gauge from Aerospace Logic with new Cies senders. Since labor was free I calibrated this fuel quantity system on jacks, then made an "aircraft on ground" correction card that shows the different between actual fuel in the tanks and indication on the instrument when the aircraft is on fairly level surface.

Here's the finished product from my Seneca install. I didn't opt for the -30C to go with it...just didn't have enough remaining functions to make it worth it I didn't think. I did also install the USB device from EI...you can see it at the bottom of the panel on the pilot side.

IMG_0620.jpg

Here's the finished product from my Seneca install. I didn't opt for the -30C to go with it...just didn't have enough remaining functions to make it worth it I didn't think. I did also install the USB device from EI...you can see it at the bottom of the panel on the pilot side.

Nice panel @BGF_Yankee. Looks like fun to fly. BTW I had my yokes refinished by Larry at SAIR Corp. They strip, epoxy fill pits, and multiple coats of power coating buffed between coats. They look fantastic afterwards. https://www.saircorp.com/product.php?productid=16139

Last edited:
Instead we installed a CGR-30P without the fuel quantity interface (we did install fuel flow) and installed a standalone fuel quantity gauge from Aerospace Logic with new Cies senders. Since labor was free I calibrated this fuel quantity system on jacks, then made an "aircraft on ground" correction card that shows the different between actual fuel in the tanks and indication on the instrument when the aircraft is on fairly level surface.

that’s a good point. This setup was recommended by someone else too (I think he may have even stuck with the stock fuel senders), but seems like a way to save a few bucks as the C won’t be providing much additional, necessary info. It’s mostly just needed to fulfill the tank indicator requirement.

View attachment 88967

those look good! Can you share what you have on your secondary page? I don’t need TIT and am actually struggling to fill up all of the positions, lol.

I’ve heard the fuel total functions may not work well with the “resistive sensors” that come stock in our aircraft.
Is fuel total calculated off of the tank sensors? Or is it calculated off of the fuel flow transducers?

Thanks @NordicDave , great idea with drawing it out. Makes a lot more sense, now just need to confirm with EI that this layout will work.

DC31EF62-3984-41ED-96DE-5FE779DAD836.jpeg

Thanks @NordicDave , great idea with drawing it out. Makes a lot more sense, now just need to confirm with EI that this layout will work.

View attachment 88985

Thanks awesome, and looks like a nice layout. For what's it's worth I think you can consolidate most of the planes annunciators onto the 30C. Worth considering while talking to EI.

I’m just about ready to place my order for a CGR set. A couple of questions have arisen that hopefully someone here can answer.

1. I can add an amp meter option, but I have to ID where I want it to connect (the battery or the avionics bus). Any recommendations as to which circuit makes the most sense for this to tie into?
2. Also, I can have an annunciator setup to alert me to an alternator failure. Where in the circuit would I want this installed, as well as when (output level and volts or amps) I want the annunciator to illuminate? I would think either before or after the voltage regulator, but would need to know at what voltage I would want the light triggered.
3. Lastly, I can add an annunciator to show me a ldg gear down indication. Seems tying this into the gear down light (serve as a crosscheck if the bulb burned out) would be easy (preferably where that wire originates), but can’t find in the service manual the voltage that illuminates the light. Any one know what volts a single gear bulb illuminates at?

Back