Bringing paint back to life

C_Parker

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
x
Hi guys,

I see there's another thread going right now about a wash/wax product but I didn't want to derail it.

My 182 was painted in the early 2000's, the paint overall looks good but it's dull and I can't seem to get much gloss back.

I tried going through the various stages of Meguire's compounds, and finished with a cleaner wax. The plane looks better, but still not to where I'd like it. Any oxidation is gone and it looks clean, but still somewhat dull. The weird thing is, it looks glossy from an angle but not straight on, that might be some sort of clue.

What do you guys think?

Early 2000's is likely Imron or something like that. Very hard paint and doesn't cut very easy. Couple thoughts. Did you clay bar it? That can take a lot of crap out of the paint. How did you work the compound? Random Orbit? if so, what pad? Lastly, a "cleaner wax" as a final step is a bit sub optimal. Think about a polymer coating.

If it is Imron, google search "restoring imron and read. Imron was used on several boats, and there are articles on how to do it.

If it's another paint process (look in your logs for when it was last painted) then just repeat the google search with the name of the paint.

Painted without log book entry.... not sure what it is.

random orbit with micro fiber bonnets

3M perfect-it rubbing compound. I’ve used it multiple times on oxidized aircraft wings and the shine will come back. Use a DA polisher with a polishing pad or do it by hand waxing it afterwards. This stuff is also useful for removing carbon deposits and glue / sticker residue.

random orbit with micro fiber bonnets

Were these the bonnets that slip over a foam pad? If you use too much pressure, they don't really move a lot. For compounding, better to get a foam pad that matches the compound (stiffer the coarser the compound) and use just the weight of the machine.

Thanks to those who responded to my question - I did some googling on Imron and it makes sense that it's probably what I'm dealing with. The compounds called for microfiber, but I'm now seeing that foam pads are probably the better option.

I don't think the plane needs any more heavy cut, the paint looks fine without any major defects, it's just dull. I ordered some foam pads and some finer polishing and glazing compounds I saw recommended for Imron, and some polymer sealer. I'll give those a shot and report back.

Thanks again

I had a random orbital, till it got stolen from garage, I didn’t see much affect when polishing. I also have a an orbital polisher, there’s a lot said about burning the paint, I think you would really have to screw it up to do that.

Back