Flying solo to checkride

edessa

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
edessa
I am getting ready for my PPL checkride on Monday the 24th. Is it possible to fly solo XC to the airport where the DPE is? Or does someone with at lease a PPL have to go with me? will be going from KLPR to 16G.
Thank you in advance.

You can fly solo - but you need a XC sign off just like your other solo XC’s.
You should get a sign off for the way back, just in case :cool:

Hmmm - ForeFlight says that distance is 49 nm, so technically you don’t need a XC sign off - but it wouldn’t hurt :D

Hmmm - ForeFlight says that distance is 49 nm, so technically you don’t need a XC sign off - but it wouldn’t hurt :D

Thanks for the quick reply.

If you are going without the CFI, make absolutely sure you have all of the necessary endorsements and airplane maintenance logbook entries.

I recall needing a sign-off for every airport I flew to, whether <25 nm or not... double check with your CFI.

I am getting ready for my PPL checkride on Monday the 24th. Is it possible to fly solo XC to the airport where the DPE is? Or does someone with at lease a PPL have to go with me? will be going from KLPR to 16G.
Thank you in advance.
yup. that's what I had to do. your CFI will need to sign off on that. make sure it's a two-way XC sign off...just in case.

I'd also recommend flying to the airport prior to your checkride if you can still get on the schedule. I flew solo to my DPE's airport and it was a non issue. However, the fact that I had flown there at least a couple times helped keep me calm as I already knew the area decently, had scouted out possible locations the DPE could use for various portions of the checkride and it was nice to know any little details that might catch someone off guard. As an example, the taxiways are one way and there are noise abatement procedures pilots are expected to fly at that particular airport. All things that are easy to deal with even the first time flying there, but your brain is already going to be stressed out, may as well prepare as best as you can so a very minor thing doesn't railroad your thought process.

I'd also recommend flying to the airport prior to your checkride if you can still get on the schedule. I flew solo to my DPE's airport and it was a non issue. However, the fact that I had flown there at least a couple times helped keep me calm as I already knew the area decently, had scouted out possible locations the DPE could use for various portions of the checkride and it was nice to know any little details that might catch someone off guard. As an example, the taxiways are one way and there are noise abatement procedures pilots are expected to fly at that particular airport. All things that are easy to deal with even the first time flying there, but your brain is already going to be stressed out, may as well prepare as best as you can so a very minor thing doesn't railroad your thought process.

Ive been to the airport a few times with my buddy that has an older Mooney. We take it to the DPEs place of business for the AD on the propeller hub.

I'd second that suggestion. I had been flying with and without my CFI to the airport where i ultimately did my check ride for a while, initially just to fly somewhere different but then when we realized that I'd be going to the DPE we did it more often and deliberately primarily to be more familiar with the general area and the options for the 'in-flight emergency' (the DPE did it to me twice!). my familiarity with the area and not just the field enabled me to be comfortable with the 'emergencies'.

That is incorrect. A solo sign off is airport specific. Any additional airports, regardless of distance, require additional endorsements.

I would add, this would be a really good question for your CFI, seeing as they are the ones endorsing you for the checkride to begin with.

Something everyone missed...what if the DE decides the airplane is not airworthy? The airplane is grounded.

That is incorrect. A solo sign off is airport specific. Any additional airports, regardless of distance, require additional endorsements.

I would add, this would be a really good question for your CFI, seeing as they are the ones endorsing you for the checkride to begin with.

You don't need one for the specific flight (day, airport) like you do for the XC. You need the "repeated flights" endorsement. Shortly after I solo students, I take them to a couple different airports within 50nm. Then when they solo, they can head off to the other airports and not just do boring pattern work at the home drome. My last student, I signed him off to fly to 5 different airports within the 50nm. Gives them a bit of a taste of XC before the full XC sign off.

(2) Repeated specific solo cross-country flights may be made to another airport that is within 50 nautical miles of the airport from which the flight originated, provided—

(i) The authorized instructor has given the student flight training in both directions over the route, including entering and exiting the traffic patterns, takeoffs, and landings at the airports to be used;

(ii) The authorized instructor who gave the training has endorsed the student's logbook certifying that the student is proficient to make such flights;

(iii) The student has a solo flight endorsement in accordance with §61.87 of this part; and

(iv) The student has a solo cross country flight endorsement in accordance with paragraph (c) of this section; however, for repeated solo cross country flights to another airport within 50 nautical miles from which the flight originated, separate endorsements are not required to be made for each flight.

It's what I did. The airport was on my approved solo airports so easy peasy.

If you are going without the CFI, make absolutely sure you have all of the necessary endorsements and airplane maintenance logbook entries.

I recall needing a sign-off for every airport I flew to, whether <25 nm or not... double check with your CFI.

That is not by regulation but is a good practice. Not a word about it in Part 61.

Bob

Think a bit about how comfortable you are with the flight. Not saying don't do it, but consider going day before if it's going to add to stress. I went with my CFI to my PP ride because the airport that was in a valley that was frequently fogged in in the am. Took the CFI so we could go even if it was IMC. Ended up filing and flying in actual a good part of the way there. Got me pretty stressed out. Did fine on the oral, but busted altitude during turns around a point.

For the re-ride, flew up solo the night before, stayed in a hotel. Met the DPE at the hotel in the am and had my certificate very shortly after. Cut through our wake on the make up turns.. My mental state was so much more relaxed the 2nd ride.

That is not by regulation but is a good practice. Not a word about it in Part 61.

Bob

I was wondering if things had changed. No airport specific endorsements in my log book other than XC’s. I flew to an airport I had never been to before for my checkride. It wasn’t a DPE. It was an FAA examiner at the GADO (FSDO nowadays.) He spent a lot of time on the plane. It was like the checkride was an afterthought.

Another consideration from a cfi. All it takes is one small error in iacra or one endorsement that isn’t just right and you’re going home empty handed. I prefer to go with my candidates for this reason. I can correct these little things on the spot. I don’t charge my regular rate to do this (might even be a freebie depending on circumstances).
Oh, and if unexpected IMC comes up, you’ll get home too.

Bob

61.93(b). An endorsement is required for any other airport the student wants to visit.

Something everyone missed...what if the DE decides the airplane is not airworthy? The airplane is grounded.
This sort of happened to me on my PPL checkride. I flew my plane (owned by a friend of mine at the time.. I later bought a 1/3 share and eventually the whole plane) to the DPE's home base airport solo. Oral went well, but he didn't like the way an A/D was signed off (conjecture... I think, more likely, he didn't like the A&P my friend was using) and wouldn't fly in my Cherokee. I asked if I could rent one of his planes and continue with the flight portion of the exam. He sent me up w one if his instructors for 30 minutes in a 152, then I flew the checkride. Went fairly well, he handed me my temp ticket, shook my hand, and sent me home in my Cherokee without any issues.

Is this your plane, or a rental? I'm not sure operators will love the idea of you flying off with their logbooks.

Oral went well, but he didn't like the way an A/D was signed off (conjecture... I think, more likely, he didn't like the A&P my friend was using) and wouldn't fly in my Cherokee. .

Glad the check ride went well. The school I used had a term for that kind of DPE - (a few actually, but I'll pick the one that won't get me banned) - a drama king. I mean really - he was testing you to see if you could read the log books and that they were in good shape. "Didn't like the way it was signed off"?? Pedantic is another word that comes to mind.

How many students understand what's needed for a ferry permit? Better yet, how many student even know what a ferry permit is?

That would be more of the airplane owners problem.

As a person wanting to pass the test I would not argue and get a different plane. After the test get in, wave, and fly it back.

A DPE grounding a plane is like a mall cop trying to arrest someone. Maybe in his dreams he has that power.

Plenty of DPE's have found missing annuals, ELT checks and other FAR violations when reviewing the books with the applicant. FAA inspectors frequently find the same, or did back when they used to give CFI checkrides.

He can review the paperwork and find something that is unairworthy, and notify the applicant [of his opinion that] it is un-airworthly and why. What would you do in this case?
It depends on what it is and whether I agree with his opinion. But in any event, in your example, the aircraft is either airworthy or not, regardless of whether the DPE deems it so.

Plenty of DPE's have found missing annuals, ELT checks and other FAR violations when reviewing the books with the applicant. FAA inspectors frequently find the same, or did back when they used to give CFI checkrides.
That just means the aircraft may be unairworthy. It is not more or less so because the DPE discovered a discrepancy. There's no regulation that prohibits flying an aircraft contrary to the instructions of a DPE.

It depends on what it is and whether I agree with his opinion. But in any event, in your example, the aircraft is either airworthy or not, regardless of whether the DPE deems it so.

You are splitting hairs here.

I don't know the answer, but @Lindberg, but I think if the DPE "finds it not airworthy" he would have to issue a discontinuance of the checkride with the reason. Wouldn't that raise plenty enough doubt in your mind to not jump back and in and return to home base?

I don't know the answer, but @Lindberg, but I think if the DPE "finds it not airworthy" he would have to issue a discontinuance of the checkride with the reason. Wouldn't that raise plenty enough doubt in your mind to not jump back and it return to home base?

Similar to when DPE's find that an applicant doesn't have the necessary items to even apply for the rating that day, endorsements, ID, etc. What are you going to do? Just up and leave and hope in a week to come back to the same guy? Obviously it depends on the details.

And yes, there are people that go to checkrides without the proper endorsement for either the checkride, or the solo flight to the checkride. And yes, this should be on their CFI normally.

If I review your logbooks and point out the ELT batteries are past due for replacement, have I "grounded your plane"?

You've notified me of an issue that makes it an un-airworthy aircraft, and discontinued the checkride.... You are still splitting hairs on the terms but missing the point.
How does the applicant get home?

I've flown to several of my checkrides. The main point I am making is, make damn sure your paperwork and the planes paperwork is in order. Or pull a ferry permit to get it home.

How does the applicant get home?
How did the applicant get there in the first place? If you disagree that the aircraft is unairworthy, and presumably you do because you flew out there, you fly home. If the DPE points out a problem you missed that you agree makes it unairworthy, you thank him and get it fixed or get a ferry permit. In neither case has the DPE grounded the plane or made it unairworthy. In either case the aircraft is legally in the same position as if the had DPE never looked at it.

How did the applicant get there in the first place? If you disagree that the aircraft is unairworthy, and presumably you do because you flew out there, you fly home. If the DPE points out a problem you missed that you agree makes it unairworthy, you thank him and get it fixed or get a ferry permit. In neither case has the DPE grounded the plane or made it unairworthy. In either case the aircraft is legally in the same position as if the had DPE never looked at it.

And there is the hair you are splitting that makes no difference to the applicant.

Back