Owner assisted or experimental installs

Llk

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
glbtrottr
Curious to see how many did their own ia supervised avionics installs or experimental installs.

I’ll start: before the g3/g5 craze, I swapped out my Cessna 173 radios for an pma7000 audio panel, gx60, kcs55a, sl30, mx20, and backup electric AI.

The kcs55a was brutal...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its all fine until you want equipment that is sold "dealer install only" and you cannot get the STC data package or the equipment sold over the counter to install it yourself.

I removed the old Narco com and nav radios from my plane and installed a used Becker com along with USB and power outlets. But it's experimental so I can do what I want to it.

I've done these under the supervision of my A&P/IA:

CO Guardian 553 install
ACK E-04 ELT install
Whelen Orion LED wingtip lights install, removal of strobe power supplies
Comant GPS/COM antenna install
Garmin GDL82 install
PMA7000BT swap for KMA-28 audio panel (easy)

I have a lot of experience with electronics.

Has anyone done autopilots, GDL88/Remote transponders and the like?

I did mine (no supervision).

But then again, I have a bit of an electronics background.
Ditto. Replaced the old SL 40 and intercom with a GTR 200, installed ADS-B, new GPS, nav lights, AoA ( more plumbing than wiring), USB power, LEMO jacks, probably a few other things I don’t remember.

anyone know of any shops helping with owner assisted installs?

I did 2 G5s (and GMU11, GAD29b), a PMA8000BT, a GTR comm, a GTN625, GTX335 and relocated a Narvo MK12D DIY w/ my AP/IA supervising. I did "cheat" a bit by using the Approach Faststack system, which made it very manageable.

As noted above, you've really got to do your research before you start down this road and ensure that you can get (buy/beg/borrow) the necessary install manuals and that anything that needs an STC for the install (GPS, etc.) has either an open STC (like many of the Garmin units) or has a manufacturer that will sell you the necessary permission letter.

Also, be aware that you're going to spend a LOT of time removing the old equipment and old wiring. I think more than 60% of my time was spent removing the old stuff and simply preparing the panel for the new stuff. I didn't keep careful track, but I'm certain I had over 100 man hours into removing the old stuff and installing the new. It's not particularly HARD work, but it's very tedious work.

When you do a self install, what happens when the smoke gets out.
certified shops should replace/repair the equipment.

Tom,

I don’t know many shops that actually work on things when “smoke comes out.” That’s usually a “send back to manufacturer” event, no?

Narco radios - who repairs those today? Stewart instruments? Bendix king din displays? On and on and on...

I remember needing a battery replaced in my garmin 430. A shop in Chino wanted...ummm ...$700!!!!!and they called themselves “affordable” :) yeahno.

If you can get a repair ticket and run an avionics shop, that’s fabulous. ADSB has created a whole new segment; with new offerings from Dynon, Avidyjne and many others. The work is tedious and shops are full, which sucks.

I specialize in do-it-yourself ADSBs by mail order. So far after roughly 100 of them in service, I have yet to have a customer tell me that they let the magic smoke out.

Jim

What sort? Building harnesses for them and providing stc manuals? Uavionix or something else?

Tom,

I don’t know many shops that actually work on things when “smoke comes out.” That’s usually a “send back to manufacturer” event, no?
not when you caused the screw up, then you get to pay.
Pre-wired harness, is the way to go then cross connected wires still happens
I'd still prefer a well equipped shop with experienced technicians.
and be able to pass the buck

No matter how many times you've checked the harness, your pulse quickens a little just before you put power to whatever it is for the first time.

That's half the fun.

I specialize in do-it-yourself ADSBs by mail order. So far after roughly 100 of them in service, I have yet to have a customer tell me that they let the magic smoke out.

Jim
As one of those 100, I can confirm...successful installation, stc/337 paperwork, validation flight, FAA rebate received, and all around great experience.

What type of ADSB by mailorder was it?

Back