Wondering how many are going to vote by absentee ballot

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKBill

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
AKBill
Tami and I voted absentee for the primary election held on 8/18/20 here in AK. We will also vote absentee for the general election in November and the city election in October.

How may of you are planning to vote by absentee ballot?

IBTL

We'll vote the usual way. Not that it matters, everyone will vote the same way on Nov 3rd that they would today.

Been a permanent mail-in voter for decades. Will vote by mail again because I'm hopefully going to be incommunicado during and for a week and a half before the election. No news in, no news out.

Been a permanent mail-in voter for decades. Will vote by mail again because I'm hopefully going to be incommunicado during and for a week and a half before the election. No news in, no news out.

That sounds fun! I should try that. :)

That sounds fun! I should try that. :)
No phone service or internet at the bottom of the Grand Canyon. :) Still thinking the trip will go, since they put out a notice that there are openings for late summer and fall because of voluntary cancelations.

I'll just drive to my usual small town polling place and do it the old fashioned way. If it's like most years the poll workers will probably outnumber the voters in the room at any given time... I doubt there will be more than 5 people and I've yet to see all the booths in use.

No phone service or internet at the bottom of the Grand Canyon. :) Still thinking the trip will go, since they put out a notice that there are openings for late summer and fall because of voluntary cancelations.

Do you take the mule trip down?

I will due to my unpredictable work schedule, and I assume longer than normal lines this year.

I have stood in ;ine all but a few times. I plan on standing in line this year.

I have even thought about volunteering to be a poll worker. That is something that intrigues me.

I have even thought about volunteering to be a poll worker. That is something that intrigues me.

Yeah, I was gonna do something like that too this year. Normally I vote absentee so I don't have to worry about bidding the time off, but this year I'll stay home in an effort to volunteer.

I'm ordering my absentee/mail-in ballot, but I'm in an area with early voting and will most likely take advantage of it, even if it's to drop off the envelope.

That doesn’t sound very absent
In some states absentee ballots don't require actually being absent. And most (all) have alternatives to mail, typically drop off at election boards and polling places.

I always vote by mail. Convenient and don’t have to put up with people pushing candidates.

I will due to my unpredictable work schedule, and I assume longer than normal lines this year.
Why do you think the lines will be longer this year, what with more people than every voting by mail? My wife screwed up her paper mail-in ballot, so she went to the early voting place, like has usually done. This year, the lines were shorter than ever. In and out in minutes. That included the time for her to explain why she was voting in person when she was mailed a ballot, and then signing a form that she wouldn't ALSO send in the mail-in ballot later.

Always voted in person in FL and GA.

This year in TN, may do it by mail. Tried to request a ballot online, but it requires a physical signature and so they’re mailing me the request form.

Of note, from the FAQ page...

Can I hand deliver my ballot to the election office?

No. You must return your ballot by mail (USPS, FedEx, UPS, etc.).

I’ll be voting in person like I always do. I normally drive a tractor to the polls and bring one of my kids with me. Not sure how they’ll feel about that this year (the workers that is; given the likely restrictions on distancing).

We're somewhat progressive here. I was out of the country for five weeks in February. I missed both the early voting and regular election day for the primary. I was able to apply, receive an absentee ballot, and return it all by email.

We have early voting here, they set it up in the libraries and you just vote on the same paper ballots as they use for the regular election (though they have many precincts voting together).
I however am intending to vote in person. We're fairly rural here and the polling place isn't going to be that crowded even if we have 100% turnout.

I will vote in person, about 1 mile from my house...even if I have to crawl.:)

Already voted twice in person this year. Both times during the early voting period and was the only voter in the polling place. Will do the same in the fall.

During my military career the vast majority of my votes were absentee ballots.

Colorado has been not-in-person for years. Will put the ballot in one of the county drop boxes, as I have for years. It’s closer than the post office.

Colorado has been not-in-person for years. Will put the ballot in one of the county drop boxes, as I have for years. It’s closer than the post office.
Secure drop boxes is a decent solution for the predicted post office issues.

Here's an interesting pickle. When shipping classifed documents (DOD, etc) using the US Postal Service is the only acceptable provider, due to the secure facilities (and other aspects we won't go into). I wonder how that's working out these days. No one, other than the sender and recipent, knows the material is classified. No one else along the chain has any idea of the contents of such a package.

I know when receiving packages thru UPS and FedEx, there've been times when it was obvious someone opened the package, even more obvious that something was removed. But no way to prove it. But when something goes wrong with a letter or package with USPS, I always received a letter/notice with explanation and some level of remediation.

Reason I bring this up now, last spring a number of the common-mail boxes (such as apartments, condos, neighborhoods) were broken into and the mail stolen. Unfortunately the notice went to the management company and it was more than 2 weeks before the mgt company informed the residents. Had to pick up mail at the post office for 3 months, because that's how long it took for the management company to get get estimates and install a new door that satisfies the USPS. Second unfortunately, we're still stuck with the same management company, but that's for another discussion.

Last edited:
Here's an interesting pickle. When shipping classifed documents (DOD, etc) using the US Postal Service is the only acceptable provider,
Nope. It used to be the case that only registered mail was approved, but toward the end of my career in the intelligence industry, we were starting to be able to use FedEx.
Reason I bring this up now, last spring a number of the common-mail boxes (such as apartments, condos, neighborhoods) were broken into and the mail stolen.
Classified mail was never left in such boxes.

Last edited:
I have voted absentee. I will NOT do so this time. I want my ballot counted, once, and in a timely manner, with no chance of it legitimately or otherwise being considered being a provisional ballot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back