Hobbies other than flying

I saw the thread title and I thought oh interesting. Then I noticed the thread was in medical topics and I got a little nervous. Is practicing medicine a hobby now?

It would depend on why I lost my medical. I may not be able to have any hobbies depending on the reason.

Fishing (mostly fly fishing), bird hunting, ham radio, guitar, photography, motorcycling, scuba diving, and poisoning pigeons in the park.

We have a lot of overlap in our Venn Diagram:

Fitness (heavy lifting, run, bike, hike, ski), flyfishing, guitar (bluegrass, singer/songwriter stuff), hunting (including chasing grouse in the mountains), dabble in ham.

Last edited:
What hobbies does everyone have outside of flying?

to keep this relevant to this thread. Say you lost your medical,- how would you spend your free time?
Skiing and sailing are the big ones. Skiing is fun for the scenery and the exhilaration, sailing is fun for being outside, being able to enjoy it with friends, and there's a good feeling when you catch the wind right too. But nothing replaces flying. If I lost my medical I'd try to get in the air in some other fashion.. hang gliding, sky diving.. who knows.

Evidently, my most frequently "enjoyed" "hobby" the last two months has been wrenching on airplanes..... pretty much the only "enjoyed" "hobby" the last few weeks...

Skiing and sailing are the big ones. Skiing is fun for the scenery and the exhilaration, sailing is fun for being outside, being able to enjoy it with friends, and there's a good feeling when you catch the wind right too. But nothing replaces flying. If I lost my medical I'd try to get in the air in some other fashion.. hang gliding, sky diving.. who knows.

I hear that skiing is the thrill that comes once in a lifetime. Usually at the very end.

How do you know if you're good at cliff-diving? Always wanted to try it...

I like building Electronic gadgets.
Designing and 3D printing stuff.
I like building R/c Airplanes, not very good at flying them so I build, fix them and let me son fly them.
I could probably get into flying R/c Sailplanes more.
working on the house/property, seems to be lots of electrical, plumbing and construction projects to do.
have 27 Model T than could be restored.

Brian

Bicycling, shooting, firefighting, puttering around the house and yard trying to beat back the 'abandoned property' look.

Hunting, deer w a bow and turkey w a shotgun. Cooking/grilling, motorcycling, scuba diving.

Kind of interesting to see the commonality in pilot hobbies...

I'm into cycling (mountain biking and road), running, fishing, hiking, really anything outdoors.

Seems like a big theme is HAM radio here. How would I get into that? What benefits do people get from it?

Seems like a big theme is HAM radio here. How would I get into that? What benefits do people get from it?

Easiest way to get started is to pass the Technician exam, buy a handheld, and start talking on the local repeaters. Local hams will quickly adopt you and take further. Some of your local repeaters will likely incorporate Echolink, an internet connection that will let you have voice conversations with other hams worldwide. It’s an easy way to get going and the outlay is only a couple of hundred bucks.

PM me or one of the other hams for more details.

AJ4CM

Recreational shooting... though haven’t done it in a while, the other one is car detailing. I am seriously thinking of taking some training in that area.

And let me tell you that detailing a black full size pickup and keeping it in that condition is a full time job by itself

And let me tell you that detailing a black full size pickup and keeping it in that condition is a full time job by itself

Wouldn't detailing an airplane be even more labor intensive?

Wouldn't detailing an airplane be even more labor intensive?

O yeah , no doubt about it. The paint on my bird is pretty crappy, I do what I can to keep her clean and shiny, but a full outside detail on her is still a 2 day job with wax or sealant etc. normally it’s my spring and early fall routine

Hunting, fishing, dog training, and beekeeping. The bees kind of happened by accident. My property taxes will be 12k next year. Having 5 acres I can be agriculture exempt. If I have 5 acres I can have bees. If I have I hive per .75 acres my land value is taxed at 1/6 instead of 1/3. It'll save me a little over 3k next year. Fascinating little creatures if you really learn a little about them.

14d9acaffffae63ea443cd54f634fd4e.jpg
d54c08a6518daebf16ff85194999d775.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Damn fine mess of bluegills. A 4 weight and a small pond with a canoe is one of my happy places.

Working on airplanes
Hunting
Fishing
Making antique reproduction furniture
Renovating houses

wait, what?

Um...I'm a professional woodworker; have been for about 20 years. I've got a business license, saws, lathes, drills...it's a thing. Although I haven't really done any real business since I bought my airplane 6 years ago, I still dabble from time to time.

I used to be really into waterskiing, wakeboarding and boating. When I started flying and later bought the plane, I sold the boat. Still have a SeaDoo so I can get out on the lake.

I fish an 8 wt in the salt. I have a 6 I use for small bass and bluegills, but I’ve been thinking about getting a 4 for occasional trips to the Georgia mountains for trout, and for local gill fishing. I like what I’ve read about the Moonshine rods and might pick one up soon.

I fish an 8 wt in the salt. I have a 6 I use for small bass and bluegills, but I’ve been thinking about getting a 4 for occasional trips to the Georgia mountains for trout, and for local gill fishing. I like what I’ve read about the Moonshine rods and might pick one up soon.

IF you go with the “Buy once... Cry once” theory then I recommend an Orvis Helios 3

IF you go with the “Buy once... Cry once” theory then I recommend an Orvis Helios 3

For me it’s a toss between the Orvis Clearwater and the Moonshine Drifter. I don’t cast well enough to tell the difference a Helios might make, and a 4 wt will likely only be fished 3 or 4 times a year.

The closest trout stream is more than a 12 hour drive from here, but first class flats fishing is only 1.5, either Gulf or Atlantic, and the Keys aren’t a bad drive, either.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back