A good WAG for paint stripping

DKirkpatrick

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DKirkpatrick
What's a good guess for stripping the paint on a '56 C-182? I think it's got more than one coat of paint - ergo... somebody painted over the original.
THANKS
dan

Just the stripping materials? $2k, then add labor.

Local shop quoted $25k for a complete disassemble, strip, corrosion treatment, and a 2 color paint job. (and 3 weeks wait)

Just the stripping materials? $2k,
Curious. $2000 for materials only to strip a Cessna 100 series? What type stripper/remover is this? I never spent more than $300.

Curious. $2000 for materials only to strip a Cessna 100 series? What type stripper/remover is this? I never spent more than $300.

Their method is probably more environmentally friendly...Feds have really stepped in on all painting, both aviation and marine industries have been affected.

Their method is probably more environmentally friendly..
But even the enviro-friendly removers are not that expensive. Hence the question. Have stripped a number of aircraft and the last e-friendly stripper I bought retailed at $400/pail and covered a similar sized aircraft. Even with the waste paint hazmat disposal costs included the total material costs didn't exceed $1600. So just curious if those prices are location driven or what. Or maybe I need to go up on my rates.;)

Last edited:
Environmentally safe stripper is only about 50 dollars per gallon...several different companies sell for about that same price. Purchased in large quantities, I would expect a better price.

Direct costs + EPA/Hazmat fees + markup

Gotta pay for your beer somehow.

Would you like a 182 repaint estimate?

But even the enviro-friendly removers are not that expensive. Hence the question. Have stripped a number of aircraft and the last e-friendly stripper I bought retailed at $400/pail and covered a similar sized aircraft. Even with the waste paint hazmat disposal costs included the total material costs didn't exceed $1600. So just curious if those prices are location driven or what. Or maybe I need to go up on my rates.;)

Is disassembly included as part of the stripping process?

Should be.

Ok, then that’s going drive up costs depending on the airplane. Removing various inspection plates, gear doors, control surfaces, lenses...
Not to mention the work involved in the taping of windows...I would not be surprised if they spend 2 days just prepping the plane.

Is disassembly included as part of the stripping process?
I was inquiring to his statement in post #4... "materials only" His quote did not include labor either. And no, my $300 was cost for materials only, i.e., paint stripper.

Direct costs + EPA/Hazmat fees + markup
So to clarify, is your $2000 materials only or does it include your above stated fees as hazmat can be rather varied depending the location. It's just a simple question nothing more.;)

The important thing is getting all of the stripper off the aircraft/parts.

It is virtually impossible to get all the stripper off with out removing the aileron/flaps/elevators, this will cause corrosion in places you can see.

I removed and replaced 22 skins on 23V because 5 years after the paint job was done it had blisters totally rotted thru. I spent 2 years replaced skins included the main cabin bulkhead.
most of the common aircraft wouldn't be worth the repair.

Last edited:
I was inquiring to his statement in post #4... "materials only" His quote did not include labor either. And no, my $300 was cost for materials only, i.e., paint stripper.

So to clarify, is your $2000 materials only or does it include your above stated fees as hazmat can be rather varied depending the location. It's just a simple question nothing more.;)
OBTW,, the new paint shops reuse the stripper they use, it is recycled filtered and reused.
a process I've seen but never used.

Thanks. Would want shop to remove control surfaces strip, and then replace and rebalance. No paint.
Thanks

Would want shop to remove control surfaces strip, and then replace and rebalance. No paint.
FWIW: based on your OP and this one, i.e., no mention of repaint, if your intent is remove the paint and pursue a "polished" look, you probably should sit down with your mechanic and go over the entire process requirements then look for prices. Trying to piecemeal the costs will not give you a true cost. Plus you might have a problem finding a shop who will perform only the paint removal or perform it at a reasonable cost.

Thanks. Would want shop to remove control surfaces strip, and then replace and rebalance. No paint.
Thanks
Any shop equipped to comply with EPA requirements should able to do this.
How your A&P signs it off is up to them.

I would want to do the complete the weighing process.

Back