Radar

2nd505th

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
2nd505th
For the KCHA ILS/LOC rwy 20, in the profile view it says HIXON/OM RADAR. What does radar mean? If I cannot determine the OM due to lack of equipment does it mean I can ask tower or atc to let me know when reaching it?

I would think the slash in the notation means that you can identify HIXON by either marker beacon or ATC radar callout. Checking the NOTAMs for KCHA it appears that the OM is expected to be out of service until August 31.

Yes, it means it is designated a radar fix, is displayed on the controller's scope, and they can call it for you if you let them know you need it.

Last edited:
Yes, it means it is designated a radar fix,s be displayed on the controller's scope, and they can call it for you if you let them know you need it.
Can I plan my flight for this approach without having an operable marker beacon receiver?

Can I plan my flight for this approach without having an operable marker beacon receiver?

It's a good question. For most scenarios I'd say "yes", because I'd be flying the ILS portion of that procedure and identifying HIXON by any means is not necessary.

But for flying the LOC portion, not real sure. Can you plan a flight that relies on ATC to be able to call a radar fix for you? I'd say in general yes, because there are certainly procedures that have "RADAR REQUIRED TO IDENTIFY (fix)" on them. Example - ILN ILS OR LOC RWY 4L https://skyvector.com/files/tpp/2009/pdf/00583IL4L.PDF , "RADAR Required to identify RHYNO and KNITE"

It's a good question. For most scenarios I'd say "yes", because I'd be flying the ILS portion of that procedure and identifying HIXON by any means is not necessary.

But for flying the LOC portion, not real sure. Can you plan a flight that relies on ATC to be able to call a radar fix for you? I'd say in general yes, because there are certainly procedures that have "RADAR REQUIRED TO IDENTIFY (fix)" on them. Example - ILN ILS OR LOC RWY 4L https://skyvector.com/files/tpp/2009/pdf/00583IL4L.PDF , "RADAR Required to identify RHYNO and KNITE"
The contra argument is those approaches cannot be part of flight planning, but may be used once at destination and in normal communications with ATC.

For the KCHA ILS/LOC rwy 20, in the profile view it says HIXON/OM RADAR. What does radar mean? If I cannot determine the OM due to lack of equipment does it mean I can ask tower or atc to let me know when reaching it?

Here’s how controllers handle it

4. When radar is used to establish the final approach fix, inform the pilot that after being advised that he/she is over the fix he/she is to contact the tower on local control frequency.
EXAMPLE−
“Three miles from final approach fix. Turn left heading zero one zero. Maintain two thousand until established on the localizer. Cleared I−L−S runway three six approach. I will advise when over the fix.”
“Over final approach fix. Contact tower one one eight point one.”
NOTE−
ARSR may be used for establishment of initial approach and intermediate approach fixes only. ASR must be used to establish the final approach fix.

Here’s how controllers handle it

4. When radar is used to establish the final approach fix, inform the pilot that after being advised that he/she is over the fix he/she is to contact the tower on local control frequency.
EXAMPLE−
“Three miles from final approach fix. Turn left heading zero one zero. Maintain two thousand until established on the localizer. Cleared I−L−S runway three six approach. I will advise when over the fix.”
“Over final approach fix. Contact tower one one eight point one.”
NOTE−
ARSR may be used for establishment of initial approach and intermediate approach fixes only. ASR must be used to establish the final approach fix.

Quoting own post to get @Radar Contact or @Jmcmanna attention. You got some Radar Fix FAF’s in your sky. How does Fusion Radar and/or ADSB figure into this?

I'm no ATC expert, but I believe where there is a published radar fix at the FAF or inside the FAF at a step-down, the local controller is certified to call them using the tower BRITE display.

I'm no ATC expert, but I believe where there is a published radar fix at the FAF or inside the FAF at a step-down, the local controller is certified to call them using the tower BRITE display.

Don’t see why not. Can’t find anything that specifically addresses it other than certified tower radar displays can be used for IFR functions. What are the pros and cons? One is getting the call is kinda important and doing a frequency change shortly before it needs to be done may not be such a good idea. Don’t want planes gettin ‘lost in the megahertz’ when they get to the FAF. Flip side is the approach controller may be busier than a three legged cat covering up sheet and the tower controller isn’t. The approach controller having to focus on each plane as it is coming up on the FAF isn’t the best thing.
As far as step down fixes go, yeah, that should be Tower. If there is such a thing. I’ve done a little looking around and haven’t found a Radar step down fix in the Final Aporoach Segement yet and I haven’t found reference to them. ARSR not being allowed to call FAF’s, only ASR and only PAR being allowed to call Missed Approach points. If there are Radar step down fixes inside the FAF, I wonder what the criteria is. Do you know of any Pilot Nav Approaches with them?

Last edited:
Don’t see why not. Can’t find anything that specifically addresses it other than certified tower radar displays can be used for IFR functions. What are the pros and cons? One is getting the call is kinda important and doing a frequency change shortly before it needs to be done may not be such a good idea. Don’t want planes gettin ‘lost in the megahertz’ when they get to the FAF. Flip side is the approach controller may be busier than a three legged cat covering up sheet and the tower controller isn’t. The approach controller having to focus on each plane as it is coming up on the FAF isn’t the best thing.
As far as step down fixes go, yeah, that should be Tower. If there is such a thing. I’ve done a little looking around and haven’t found a Radar step down fix in the Final Aporoach Segement yet and I haven’t found reference to them. ARSR not being allowed to call FAF’s, only ASR and only PAR being allowed to call Missed Approach points. If there are Radar step down fixes inside the FAF, I wonder what the criteria is. Do you know of any Pilot Nav Approaches with them?

I think the whole function of “determining an aircraft’s exact location” for a local controller authority with a CTRD would suffice. Having said that, I know Class D towers that clamp down restrictions for CTRD use compared to say a Class B/C local controller who is TRACON / BRITE qual’d.

For the OP’s s situation, I know the local controllers at CHA are authorized to use their CTRD for all radar approach functions. They tell you “radar contact” vector, separate VFRs from IFRs, etc. Informing an aircraft crossing the OM would be a simple radar service function.

I think the whole function of “determining an aircraft’s exact location” for a local controller authority with a CTRD would suffice. Having said that, I know Class D towers that clamp down restrictions for CTRD use compared to say a Class B/C local controller who is TRACON / BRITE qual’d.

For the OP’s s situation, I know the local controllers at CHA are authorized to use their CTRD for all radar approach functions. They tell you “radar contact” vector, separate VFRs from IFRs, etc. Informing an aircraft crossing the OM would be a simple radar service function.

Yeah. Don’t know if they are still using this term but ‘Limited Radar Approach Tower’ was/is a thang. Do you know of any Approaches with Radar step down fixes inside the FAF?

Yeah. Don’t know if they are still using this term but ‘Limited Radar Approach Tower’ was/is a thang. Do you know of any Approaches with Radar step down fixes inside the FAF?

No, but haven’t really checked. At NKX they monitor TACANs that have step down fixes with the PAR but I don’t believe there’s a call for it. Only call I remember is over FAF. The ASR approach there has step downs as well but that’s a whole other animal.

Back