Which E6B to Buy

SoCal 182 Driver

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
SoCal 182 Driver
I have an old Sporty's electronic E6B flight computer. By old, I mean that I used it when I took my written for the private at least 25 years ago. I remember at the time is was clunky, not intuitive, and difficult to use.

Fast forward to today, and I'm studying for my IFR written. When I began to use the old Sporty's E6B, all of the old complaints and memories came back. I have to believe there's something better on the market these days. Is it the ASA CX-3 Flight Computer? Something else?

Recommendations appreciated!

FWIW, I took the instrument written in March. I took my manual E6B with me, but did not use it. I wouldn't spend good money on something you'll probably never use again.

I agree with @Jim K Don’t spend money on this. You really only need this for crosswinds and the old one you have works just fine.

Here's my story. I bought the Sporty's electronic E6B for the instrument written. (It was really a "written" then. This was before they provided one on screen as part of the test.) We're talking 1990-1992 period. Never used it again. Not even for the checkride. I carried it in my flight bag religiously fir years, removing it only to change batteries I finally sold it on eBay.

I still use the old whiz wheel version. Still works after 35 years. All it gets used for now is checking TAS and current fuel range out of curiosity. In practice these things don't get used much sfter the writtens.

A manual E6B provides a visual for WHY the answer is correct...something the electronic ones don't (can't) do, afaik.

And I find them quite intuitive. Kept mine in the plane and used it almost every flight...

A manual E6B provides a visual for WHY the answer is correct...something the electronic ones don't (can't) do, afaik.
That's why I still have mine. I don't use it myself, but it is a great teaching/learning tool.

I took the instrument written a few months ago and didn't pull out my old, manual E6B once. But I would say if having a newer, electronic device makes you more confident going in to the test, go for it.

I like the manual ones, too. Of course, I also think slide rules are cool. True. I don't use either very much, but I do like them.

There's another possible reason to purchase an electronic E6-B - the practical test (for private pilot). Converting IAS to TAS or vice-versa is easiest done with an electronic version of some sort, even if it's just an iPhone app (which I recognize can't be used for the knowledge test.).

Sometimes applicants bring in a computer-generated flight plan and I'll ask them to recompute a leg based on different winds, so WCA also comes up along with time/speed/distance, fuel burn, etc. All possible with a mechanical whiz wheel, but I've seen that go badly on one notable occasion.

There's another possible reason to purchase an electronic E6-B - the practical test (for private pilot). Converting IAS to TAS or vice-versa is easiest done with an electronic version of some sort, even if it's just an iPhone app (which I recognize can't be used for the knowledge test.).

Sometimes applicants bring in a computer-generated flight plan and I'll ask them to recompute a leg based on different winds, so WCA also comes up along with time/speed/distance, fuel burn, etc. All possible with a mechanical whiz wheel, but I've seen that go badly on one notable occasion.

So, don't learn it just because some people are idiots...

...got it.

+1 for the ASA CX-3. I used it on both my instrument and commercial written tests and I found it a tremendous help. Much easier that the old mechanical E6-B I used on my private written.

I have the standard whiz wheel with the “sliding trombone” wind correction part. Used for my IFR. Plus using for my commercial. Most of the math it does for you is easier just to compute yourself using fraction/ratio equations. Much faster and less confusing IMO. I do use for that pesky pressure density altitude part though. And of course the wind stuff.

Back