My best friend died yesterday...

Sorry man. It wouldn't suck so bad if they weren't so awesome. We really don't deserve dogs.

What a good looking pup...many of us understand your pain. We really don’t deserve the companionship and loyalty of a good dog. I hope you find some peace today knowing your not alone in your loss.

Some have said God gives us dogs so we can taste joy ... And they leave us so we can experience loss...

I dunno bout all that... But.

If there ain't no dogs in heaven, I'm not sure I wanna go... And I look so forward to playing with ALL ( 5 or 6... I lose count and feel pretty bad if I start naming 'em) of my best friends when I get there...

Sorry for your loss.

We've lost two, it just doesn't get any easier. My current dog is a Lhasa Apso, for a bunch of reasons. The biggest one is they're one of the longest living breeds of dogs. One of the oldest too.

Just went though this 2 weeks ago. He would have been 13 today.

The feeling sucks.

Very sorry to hear of your loss....our three German Shepherds' passings were some of the most difficult times in our lives. I feel for you. The companionship and love for/from our dog friends is one of God's great blessings.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went" - Will Rogers

Sincerest condolences for your loss. Dogs are blessings, best friends, and family members to the very end.

Sorry for your loss, he looks like a good friend.

Thanks to all.
The funny thing is that she got into a lot of stuff that she should not have. She was not perfect. My daughter baked cookies for school one day, individually wrapped each one, only to find that Samantha had eaten them all. She found a pound of chocolate and ate the whole thing without a burp. Looked up at us as if to say What? ...That was good. Have anymore? But she was a friend to everyone she met. For 14 years she always greeted me with a wagging tail when home from work. But no more.

But the house is quiet now.

Its going to be awhile before...

Last edited:
Damn. You guys have to stop doing this, it makes my screen go all fuzzy.

I'm sorry for your loss. I'm convinced dogs are only allowed to stay with us for a short time because there is so much love that if they stayed longer, we'd be completely devastated when they left.

Dogs Never Die

Some of you, particularly those who think they have recently lost a dog to “death”, don’t really understand this. I’ve had no desire to explain, but won’t be around forever and must.

Dogs never die. They don’t know how to. They get tired, and very old, and their bones hurt. Of course they don’t die. If they did they would not want to always go for a walk, even long after their old bones say:” No, no, not a good idea. Let’s not go for a walk.” Nope, dogs always want to go for a walk. They might get one step before their aging tendons collapse them into a heap on the floor, but that’s what dogs are. They walk.

It’s not that they dislike your company. On the contrary, a walk with you is all there is. Their boss, and the cacaphonic symphony of odor that the world is. Cat poop, another dog’s mark, a rotting chicken bone ( exultation), and you. That’s what makes their world perfect, and in a perfect world death has no place.

However, dogs get very very sleepy. That’s the thing, you see. They don’t teach you that at the fancy university where they explain about quarks, gluons, and Keynesian economics. They know so much they forget that dogs never die. It’s a shame, really. Dogs have so much to offer and people just talk a lot.

When you think your dog has died, it has just fallen asleep in your heart. And by the way, it is wagging it’s tail madly, you see, and that’s why your chest hurts so much and you cry all the time. Who would not cry with a happy dog wagging its tail in their chest. Ouch! Wap wap wap wap wap, that hurts. But they only wag when they wake up. That’s when they say: “Thanks Boss! Thanks for a warm place to sleep and always next to your heart, the best place.”

When they first fall asleep, they wake up all the time, and that’s why, of course, you cry all the time. Wap, wap, wap. After a while they sleep more. (remember, a dog while is not a human while. You take your dog for walk, it’s a day full of adventure in an hour. Then you come home and it’s a week, well one of your days, but a week, really, before the dog gets another walk. No WONDER they love walks.)

Anyway, like I was saying, they fall asleep in your heart, and when they wake up, they wag their tail. After a few dog years, they sleep for longer naps, and you would too. They were a GOOD DOG all their life, and you both know it. It gets tiring being a good dog all the time, particularly when you get old and your bones hurt and you fall on your face and don’t want to go outside to pee when it is raining but do anyway, because you are a good dog. So understand, after they have been sleeping in your heart, they will sleep longer and longer.

But don’t get fooled. They are not “dead.” There’s no such thing, really. They are sleeping in your heart, and they will wake up, usually when you’re not expecting it. It’s just who they are.

I feel sorry for people who don’t have dogs sleeping in their heart. You’ve missed so much. Excuse me, I have to go cry now.

- Ernest Montague

Samantha is in good place now. And, you will meet her again.
I know I will meet my Juggy (Forever Our Super Cat)

THE RAINBOW BRIDGE POEM

“Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together….”

— Author unknown

This sucks so sorry man I lost my Magic (12 year old black lab) 5 years ago and it hurt so friggen bad and I have a 13 year old Goldador and I know this is coming soon and don't know how many times I can go through it again.

It's so hard saying goodbye to a furry family member.

No one can truly understand why dogs are called 'man's best friend' until they have experienced the loss of one.

Know the feelings well...Just lost my garage cat a week ago. It took me nearly two months of daily sitting on the trailer in the driveway and quietly talking to him before he would come close enough for me to touch him. Within a week, he was all mine and it took nearly a year before Val or the boys could even come near him. His previous owners horribly abused him, so it took a long time to rebuild any trust. Blizzard used to walk me to the truck before work every night and was there as soon as I pulled into the drive. Spent lots of money on him at the vet over the nearly 10 years he was with us. but I didn't mind....

My Kurzon dog wasn't the dog I wanted, he was the dog I had. He was my dog. And I still miss him. My other pet is a tortoise. He'll outlive me. Fine by me, and probably fine by him. I don't think a chelonian can tell one person from another.

No words can capture the feeling of that loss.
Dogs can become such a big part of our lives...........

That sucks! I have outlived two of my buddies already, and it still brings me to tears to think about them. The only thing worse than losing a dog is to never have the dog in your life in the first place. I don't understand people that have one dog, lose it, and won't get another for fear of the loss. The years together are worth it. Fortunately, my Abominable Snow Poodles are young so I have time to steel myself for their passage. My sincerest condolences!

Grieve not,
nor speak of me with tears,
but laugh and talk of me
as if I were beside you...
I loved you so --
'twas Heaven here with you.

So sorry for your loss.

Condolences. Good dogs are the embodiment of unconditional love and their loss is heavy. We lost our Golden Retriever a few years back and have been dog-less ever since. I’m beginning to think I will hold off getting another dog until I am fairly sure the dog will out live me.

Sorry, man. I don't know you, but I have been there and that's tough. Sorry for your loss.

My Airedale sits besides me .
He patiently waits .
He's in a can .
His ashes will go with me when the time comes.

Sorry to hear. We lost our guy right after the COVID shutdowns started. I had just driven him 3000 miles across the country to our new home, dodging black ice and infinite risks to life......all for naught I later learned. He got diagnosed with advanced lymphoma after his face swelled up one day. So out of the blue. The next day I was holding him as he twitched for the last time (as we put him down). Our 2 legged little men had an equally hard time with it.

Thanks to all.
The funny thing is that she got into a lot of stuff that she should not have. She was not perfect. My daughter baked cookies for school one day, individually wrapped each one, only to find that Samantha had eaten them all. She found a pound of chocolate and ate the whole thing without a burp. Looked up at us as if to say What? ...That was good. Have anymore? But she was a friend to everyone she met. For 14 years she always greeted me with a wagging tail when home from work. But no more.

But the house is quiet now.

Its going to be awhile before...
So sorry for your loss! She sounds a lot like Hannah, our Golden that we lost 6 years ago. Our daughter made 24 cupcakes one night for a bake sale at school. I covered them with foil and went to bed. The next morning the foil was in the floor and Hannah was taking a nap! Another time I left 3 racks of ribs beside the refrigerator to cool off and forgot about them, she ate them all, sauce bones and just left the shredded sticky bags!
You might get another one sooner than you think. :)

So sorry for your loss! She sounds a lot like Hannah, our Golden that we lost 6 years ago. Our daughter made 24 cupcakes one night for a bake sale at school. I covered them with foil and went to bed. The next morning the foil was in the floor and Hannah was taking a nap! Another time I left 3 racks of ribs beside the refrigerator to cool off and forgot about them, she ate them all, sauce bones and just left the shredded sticky bags!
You might get another one sooner than you think. :)
If I do it will be another rescue that has seen little love in its life so far.

Samantha is in good place now. And, you will meet her again.
I know I will meet my Juggy (Forever Our Super Cat)

THE RAINBOW BRIDGE POEM

“Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together….”

— Author unknown

I remember this poem from when we had to put our cat to sleep 12 years ago.

So sorry for your loss. The loss will hurt for a long time, but it does get easier.

I am very sorry for your loss; losing a longtime best friend really, really sucks. We are on our third golden retriever and our current boy is ten. They have all been magnificent creatures who live to please, and losing them is always the pits.

I console myself with vivid memories of the times shared with all three of them, and those thoughts always make me smile.

Back