Tips for a fearful wife?

My wife is reluctant. And won’t fly without the kids so we don’t orphan them. She is also a therapist. And helping a client who’s husbands plane “skid” on the runway and has ptsd affecting driving. Bad timing as this didn’t help my cause. Oh well.

When my wife and I were first dating almost 25 years ago, she was afraid to fly in anything. Our first trip together was from San Francisco to Sydney and for 15 hours she asked about every little bump, "is that ok?". I think the circulation to my hand was non-existent for 15 hours. :D

She was my first passenger a week after earning my PPL... she had been up with me and my CFI a few times. Now she hates flying commercial (for all the hassle) and loves flying with me. Last year we flew from Reno to Maine and on a trip from Portland, ME to Oxford, CT, we were in solid IFR for almost 2 hours and she was fine. She knows how airplanes fly and has had enough training that she can land the plane if she had to.

Now after 500 hours in the right seat, she points out other planes well before I can see them and points out every little mistake I make. :D

I think I am quite lucky.
I'm with you.
My wife is very similar.
While not interested in flying herself, it's a blessing to have a partner that loves to go places.
We fly all over the country to see our kids and have adventures.
At first, she was humoring me/tolerating it.
Now she loves it.
Like you, totally comfortable in solid IFR...and way more comfortable knowing I'm certified.

My wife is a little bit claustrophobic, so she does not like the big tube. We even need to get aisle seats across from each other if we fly together. So, when I went looking for a plane, it had to have good visibility. That is what I like about the Tiger. While she doesn’t like going for burgers or just lunch, if we are going someplace and staying a while, she is ok with flying, as long as we limit the day to about 5 hrs max.

My wife has always been afraid of flying, regardless of whether it's GA or the big boys. My recommendation is to make a trip somewhere instead of just burning holes in the sky. Not sure where you're located, but a beach trip or somewhere you're going to vacation for a few days is best.

My wife's opinion now is: I don't love flying, but I'd rather do it on my own schedule, in our own plane, and without the hassle of airport/baggage, etc.

My wife is a little bit claustrophobic, so she does not like the big tube. We even need to get aisle seats across from each other if we fly together. So, when I went looking for a plane, it had to have good visibility.
This begs for further explanation. Isle seats provide the least visibility of any airliner seat. So why place an emphasis on visibility for a personal airplane if isle seats were the normal airliner requirement?

Also let me just state for the record, if a close relative or SO doesn't want to fly, the best choice is always to accept it and not try to convince them otherwise. Their fears are their fears. It does not matter if you think their fears are rational. They think their fears are rational and that's enough. Trying to force them into believing otherwise is a fools game.

Their fears are their fears. It does not matter if you think their fears are rational. They think their fears are rational and that's enough. Trying to force them into believing otherwise is a fools game.

Quite correct & it applies to so much of life. How was it ...

God; help me to understand the things I can change and the things I cannot change - and the wisdom to know the difference!

Confessing: Haven't read the thread

Has anyone suggested a divorce lawyer? Couldn't hurt.

God; help me to understand the things I can change and the things I cannot change - and the wisdom to know the difference!
The Serenity Prayer is a huge favorite of the Friends of Bill W.

Last edited:
Confessing: Haven't read the thread

Has anyone suggested a divorce lawyer? Couldn't hurt.

The Serenity Prayer is the huge favorite of the Friends of Bill W.

It won’t hurt, but cost way too much

This begs for further explanation. Isle seats provide the least visibility of any airliner seat. So why place an emphasis on visibility for a personal airplane if isle seats were the normal airliner requirement?

Also let me just state for the record, if a close relative or SO doesn't want to fly, the best choice is always to accept it and not try to convince them otherwise. Their fears are their fears. It does not matter if you think their fears are rational. They think their fears are rational and that's enough. Trying to force them into believing otherwise is a fools game.

The overhead on a tube and little window is what creates the feeling of Claustrophobia. In the plane I fly, a Tiger, she can see all around and does not have that closed in feeling of a say a Comanche due to the rather large side canopy windows that end at the top well above the eye line of sight.

Back