Working on my tail wheel...

Flying tailwheel is when you become a real pilot. My first solo in a tailwheel was as memorable and nerve wracking as my actual first solo.
I learned that way,, imagine my surprised when the nose when down. :(

Grass is pretty fun and forgiving for tail wheel flying. The pavement requires more attention to detail. I am by no means a good tail wheel pilot but I've managed to keep it out of the ditches so far. At one time I thought to order me one of these T-shirts:

7_550x550_Front_Color-AshGrey.jpg

But I didn't want to be wearing it when I had to beg my nose dragger pilot friends to help me get my plane out of the woods ... :D

A Cub in a mowed hay field isn't really back country, but I know what you mean. My first off airport landing was in a 207 on a 2 rut road between the river and the lodge. (lodge made of plywood and corrugated steel) The fishermen did not believe me when I told them that was my first time to land there.

Fun to me used to be landing a loaded 206 on the side of the hill, and taking off again loaded with moose meat, hunters and gear. My wife says I am too old for that now....o_O

A Cub in a mowed hay field isn't really back country, but I know what you mean. My first off airport landing was in a 207 on a 2 rut road between the river and the lodge. (lodge made of plywood and corrugated steel) The fishermen did not believe me when I told them that was my first time to land there.

Fun to me used to be landing a loaded 206 on the side of the hill, and taking off again loaded with moose meat, hunters and gear. My wife says I am too old for that now....o_O
Well, I get it...but we gotta start somewhere, so I’m gonna call it backish country...kinda like tractor rap is country...not Johnny Cash country, but countryish. I mean there were trees and power lines, and my butt was squeezing the seat cushion...that’s gotta count for something! LOL :D

Last edited:
Awesome! That’s a nice looking airplane.

New Mexico...so elk meat? I'll be there next month.

Meh it's alright I guess... :D
View attachment 88796

I thought you were going to say it's "okayest". ;)

Your last few posts on PoA are leaving me with the impression some of the ol' feelin' about flying dem little airplanes is comin' back after your lousy experience with the damage. I hope I'm right about that!

Grass is pretty fun and forgiving for tail wheel flying. The pavement requires more attention to detail. I am by no means a good tail wheel pilot but I've managed to keep it out of the ditches so far. At one time I thought to order me one of these T-shirts:

7_550x550_Front_Color-AshGrey.jpg

But I didn't want to be wearing it when I had to beg my nose dragger pilot friends to help me get my plane out of the woods ... :D

Then dont put it in the woods.:eek:

When I say grass I don’t mean marijuana. This picture was taken at a friends grass strip near Quitman, Texas ca. 2012. This copy is low resolution. In the original you can see me looking straight at the camera.

My friend was killed next to that strip a year or two after this picture was taken.

Rest In Peace Walt.

upload_2020-8-13_4-40-27.jpeg

Last edited:
Lovely little home airport backyard. Wires at one end, fence and trees at the other. One way in and one way out. How long do you estimate the field was?

Lovely little home airport backyard. Wires at one end, fence and trees at the other. One way in and one way out. How long do you estimate the field was?
We call it the "Punch Bowl", once you get in it you realize there is only one way out....450' inbound on 14, 800' inbound on 18...800' outbound on 36.

For some people it is a temporary diversion; for others it is an addition with no cure. I have not wanted to fly anything else since I got my TW endorsement 20 years ago. Especially when I found out that most airplanes that fly upside down also happen to be taildraggers. Just bought this puppy last week to feed the disease.

Super D.jpg

For some people it is a temporary diversion; for others it is an addition with no cure. I have not wanted to fly anything else since I got my TW endorsement 20 years ago. Especially when I found out that most airplanes that fly upside down also happen to be taildraggers. Just bought this puppy last week to feed the disease.

Congratulations on the plane. Decathlons are lots of fun.

Yeah, I though most tailwheel airplanes were pretty much the same until I pushed the throttle forward on a T-28. Holy #*^@*!

Back