Veteran and Some Medical Issues.

He likely wants you to fill out the application because it guides the consultation. Believe it or not,it does not require your entire medical history. At the same time, it requires some things that are not medical history. You can fill it out, print it out, and remove the code that allows him to open the file online.
Unfortunately, not every AME will do a consult. That's the problem the OP is having. I ran into that about 10 yrs ago. My AME retired, and I went to another one - major mistake. Started at the front counter - I provided my credit card, paid the fee, then the office staff refused to make it a consult. So I went ahead with the 3rd class. There were other issues (no need to go into them now) No problems passing, but I never went back and never refer anyone to them.

Unfortunately, not every AME will do a consult. That's the problem the OP is having. I ran into that about 10 yrs ago. My AME retired, and I went to another one - major mistake. Started at the front counter - I provided my credit card, paid the fee, then the office staff refused to make it a consult. So I went ahead with the 3rd class. There were other issues (no need to go into them now) No problems passing, but I never went back and never refer anyone to them.
I think for many it's liability. When you're working from an active medXpress application you're exercising the privileges of an AME and serving as an agent of the FAA Administrator. You're simply evaluating and determining if they meet part 67 or not. Certainly some nuances there, but much of the liability is on the FAA rather than the individual examiner. The examiner can always defer the case.

On the other hand, there is no provision within the roles and responsibilities of a AME to consult an airman for the purposes of future potential medical certification. As such, an AME providing guidance to an airman is doing so outside of their delegated authority. That doesn't mean the FAA prohibits AMEs from conducting consultation appointments, but that they are doing so not wearing their AME hat. I suspect the concern for some AMEs is that if they meet with someone and advise him or her that they are likely unable to obtain a medical certificate, there's a perceived liability if that person pursues a sport pilot certificate and later crashes. Arguably the plaintiff's attorney will assert that the doctor agreed to a consultation in order to bypass the medical certification process and and was complicit in encouraging the person to go sport pilot even though he had a medical condition that the FAA would not allow. It's outside my scope to say whether that's a valid concern, but plenty of AME's don't see a good incentive to enter that realm.

I think for many it's liability. When you're working from an active medXpress application you're exercising the privileges of an AME and serving as an agent of the FAA Administrator. You're simply evaluating and determining if they meet part 67 or not. Certainly some nuances there, but much of the liability is on the FAA rather than the individual examiner. The examiner can always defer the case.

On the other hand, there is no provision within the roles and responsibilities of a AME to consult an airman for the purposes of future potential medical certification. As such, an AME providing guidance to an airman is doing so outside of their delegated authority. That doesn't mean the FAA prohibits AMEs from conducting consultation appointments, but that they are doing so not wearing their AME hat. I suspect the concern for some AMEs is that if they meet with someone and advise him or her that they are likely unable to obtain a medical certificate, there's a perceived liability if that person pursues a sport pilot certificate and later crashes. Arguably the plaintiff's attorney will assert that the doctor agreed to a consultation in order to bypass the medical certification process and and was complicit in encouraging the person to go sport pilot even though he had a medical condition that the FAA would not allow. It's outside my scope to say whether that's a valid concern, but plenty of AME's don't see a good incentive to enter that realm.
At that time, I wasn't visiting the office to meet with an AME, but to meet with a physician intimately familiar with FAA regulations. I've since dealt with 2 other AMEs (not including Dr Bruce) that had no problem with a consult. One even gave me a list of what he needed from my GP (obviously he does many consults!) and told me to return for the FAA exam when I had all the paperwork. Then BasicMed was approved.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back