Hobbies other than flying

Benw

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Benw
What hobbies does everyone have outside of flying?

to keep this relevant to this thread. Say you lost your medical,- how would you spend your free time?

I run and bike a lot, do one of these if not both of them every day.

I like working in Italian exotics.

Collect coins and bullion.

Flying is another pastime for my family.

Competitive shooting, SCUBA diving, skiing, woodworking, cooking-really getting into BBQ since my wife gave me a smoker a few years back.

I like to play lousy music and sing with my friends. I like to re-arrange the yard with my tractor and backhoe. I like to fish, but my job currently doesn't allow me to get away [though it may shortly let me get away permanently.]

Competitive shooting, SCUBA diving, skiing, woodworking, cooking-really getting into BBQ since my wife gave me a smoker a few years back.
Me too, I just got into smoking a few weeks ago

I like working in Italian exotics.

Is that what you kids are calling it these days? I hear that can be an expensive "hobby"? :)

Me too, I just got into smoking a few weeks ago

Whats your brand Marlboro? You should quit. :)

I hunt almost every day of the deer and turkey seasons. Fish when I can. I wrench on warbirds on the weekends.

People actually have time and money left over after flying? :eek:

My "other" hobby is trying to figure out how to pay off the credit card bill every time I fill up the Aztec. :(

I'd give you a LOL if it weren't so true with my aircraft as well. :p

I work on my vehicles for fun as automobiles has been a long time hobby. Replacing the engine and restoring a 1984 Porsche 944 with my son is the current project, thoughI do work on my 2002 Explorer as well for fun (electric fan, new front and rear control arms and bushings are the next projects on his vehicle.)

Seems like there isn't much time to get out to the range (if they're open at all given this pandemic), otherwise throwing lead down range is the other hobby.

I'd give you a LOL if it weren't so true with my aircraft as well. :p

I work on my vehicles for fun as automobiles has been a long time hobby. Replacing the engine and restoring a 1984 Porsche 944 with my son is the current project, thoughI do work on my 2002 Explorer as well for fun (electric fan, new front and rear control arms and bushings are the next projects on his vehicle.)

Seems like there isn't much time to get out to the range (if they're open at all given this pandemic), otherwise throwing lead down range is the other hobby.

mine favorite past time as well. I can’t wait to build a shooting range at my house

Stand-up cycling on my Cyclete, cooking, metal detecting, and riding my Vespa GTV 300. I'd really like to learn how to weld or how to build things, not sure what. I've thought about building a kit plane, but I think that'd be a mistake - I'm not sure how much passion I could maintain for such a project, plus there's little to zero local technical support. I'm too ig'nunt to go it alone.

Is that what you kids are calling it these days? I hear that can be an expensive "hobby"? :)

Whats your brand Marlboro? You should quit. :)

I hunt almost every day of the deer and turkey seasons. Fish when I can. I wrench on warbirds on the weekends.

No, I like the mechanical Italian exotics. Not the ride em hard and put away wet ones. My wife says I have too many mistresses as it is.

5ff54233ea44b937c29ff37f47bbb2b9.jpg

2bb9144f775cd670b31a662bb8950a9c.jpg

We still work, even tho we can no longer fly, the maintenance on the motorhome takes a lot our time.

No, I like the mechanical Italian exotics. Not the ride em hard and put away wet ones. My wife says I have too many mistresses as it is.

Based on your choices there not sure which has a higher maintenance costs. :)

Scuba, kayaking, aircraft maintenance

5ff54233ea44b937c29ff37f47bbb2b9.jpg

2bb9144f775cd670b31a662bb8950a9c.jpg
I wouldn’t be able to sleep at night with that lift not bolted down. I doubt it will go anywhere, but the memory of those empty holes mixed with my imagination would haunt me all night long. :eek:

I wouldn’t be able to sleep at night with that lift not bolted down. I doubt it will go anywhere, but the memory of those empty holes mixed with my imagination would haunt me all night long. :eek:

I can't speak for that one but they make lifts like that with levering caster wheels and you can actually wheel the whole thing around.

target shooting; woodworking; reading

sometime I do rifle stock modifications (combining target shooting and woodworking)

Fishing (mostly fly fishing), bird hunting, ham radio, guitar, photography, motorcycling, scuba diving, and poisoning pigeons in the park.

Waiting on my deferred medical has become my favorite hobby....other than that..

golf
Beekeeping
Fishing
Woodworking

BBQ

I’ve been in the BBQ world for for a very long time, but there are only so many weekends in a year. I’d probably do it more often if it were the only thing I had going on.

Built to not be bolted down. Has caster wheels where you can lower the lift and raise the feet and move the loft around.

Plus each post has 2 locking tabs.

Motocross-ridden/raced since ‘92.

RC airplanes (dabbled in helicopters but you only need to crash so many before that gets old, lol)

Street motorcycles (likely going to try a track day or two this year, never have, always wanted to).

Used to snow ski and mountain bike, but it’s been awhile for both of those.

Hunting, fishing, shooting, dirt bikes/ATVs, snowboarding, wakeboarding, wake-surfing(new development), boating, farming, poker....
basically anything other than working.

Hunting, fishing, woodworking, models (R/C and plastic) gardening, shooting (just shot a smallbore silhouette match yesterday) and sporting clays/skeet shooting, cooking including BBQ, beer making (been a while but want to do it again when we retire)

Damn! I've been retired since March. And, other than working on the house and yard, and doing all the "honey-do's", I barely have time to get out and fly for an hour or 2 once or twice a week. The RV-8 I'm building in my garage seems to take a back seat to just about everything else.

I'm also a ham. But, that was mostly about being able to use the repeaters in the hills around here where there's no cell service.

50031858431_a50bc2d89d_c.jpg

cooking
ham radio, maybe I need to set my station up again.
golf, haven't been out yet this year :(
video and editing, always learning and trying something new
Not really a hobby but I played through high school, I love baseball. Decided not to watch sports this year, too much politics involved with it all. I rather spend my time flying.

I'm confused, what is "other than flying"? If I could, I would live flying. Wish I had known when I was younger.

Damn! I've been retired since March. And, other than working on the house and yard, and doing all the "honey-do's", I barely have time to get out and fly for an hour or 2 once or twice a week. The RV-8 I'm building in my garage seems to take a back seat to just about everything else.

I'm also a ham. But, that was mostly about being able to use the repeaters in the hills around here where there's no cell service.

50031858431_a50bc2d89d_c.jpg
I'm gonna invent a Cleco that falls out after 30 days, to reduce procrastination, and prevent aluminum porcupines from filling the garage.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back