Plane crash in Southern India - 3 dead so far

‘Continuation bias’ may of played a role. The weather seemed marginal, from the article anyway.

‘Continuation bias’ may of played a role. The weather seemed marginal, from the article anyway.
Meh, airplanes land in similar conditions daily...

“At 14:00 UTC scattered clouds were reported at 300 and 1200 feet with a few Cumulonimbus clouds at 2500 feet and overcast clouds at 8000 feet. The wind was from 260 degrees at 12 knots. Visibility was 2000 m in rain.”

Who knows what happened but it’s a guess that they floated down the runway and couldn’t stop. The ditch didn’t help either

Meh, airplanes land in similar conditions daily...

“At 14:00 UTC scattered clouds were reported at 300 and 1200 feet with a few Cumulonimbus clouds at 2500 feet and overcast clouds at 8000 feet. The wind was from 260 degrees at 12 knots. Visibility was 2000 m in rain.”
Cumulonimbus is only one step better than cumulogranite.

V - Go around expected?

I read somewhere that the runway was 1200m long. Seems a bit short for 737 - would that be too short?
VGoOffEnd

It’s sort of a joke but not really. One of my study buddies at my first airline gig was an old hand. Flew B-52’s in the Air Force and had been all over after getting out. He would go on these long monologues about how not to do stupid stuff in jets. One day we were in a study session prepping for the oral and I was looking over an accident report about a runway over run and he asked the question “how do you think that happened?”. The answer was they exceeded VGOE. He then spent the next hour or so explaining how crews could easily exceed that limiting speed and how many environmental factors affected the limits of aircraft performance. I learned a lot from him.

VGoOffEnd

It’s sort of a joke but not really. One of my study buddies at my first airline gig was an old hand. Flew B-52’s in the Air Force and had been all over after getting out. He would go on these long monologues about how not to do stupid stuff in jets. One day we were in a study session prepping for the oral and I was looking over an accident report about a runway over run and he asked the question “how do you think that happened?”. The answer was they exceeded VGOE. He then spent the next hour or so explaining how crews could easily exceed that limiting speed and how many environmental factors affected the limits of aircraft performance. I learned a lot from him.

I like it.:cheerswine: Will probably steal it.

So they were landing with a 10 kt tailwind? Why would they do that?

9400’ runway. Does anyone have the approach plates?

I see out here big irons taking off and landing with more tail wind than that. At some point I have started to think that all wind conditions are just suggestion you them

Missed approach on different runway... plus poor weather, standing water on the runway, etc...etc.. More info and pics here:
http://avherald.com/h?article=4daf960f&opt=0

So they were trying to land on 28 and then came back around to try 10. With a tailwind. Landed 3300’ long.

ILS and VOR approaches on both runways.

It will be interesting to hear about pilot credentials and if this is another example of 3rd world airline incompetence.

It sounds like the Cap had done well in the Air Force over there, quality experience. Do not know who was flying. There’s been no shortage over the years of experienced pilots coming up a tad short(Crossfield). Just saying, keep that awareness finely tuned, overconfidence bites as does carelessness.

mostly heavy cargo haulers, come to think of it, i have seen them take off with more tailwind that they land with
Civil transport category aircraft are limited to 10 knots tailwind. If the official weather observation is higher than 10 they shouldn’t be operating off that runway.

Civil transport category aircraft are limited to 10 knots tailwind.
Not necessarily. Several have been certified to 15 kts. All are certified to at least 10. I've flown Dash-8 certified to 20 kts max tailwind for take-off and landing. Some 737 have been certified to 15 kts tailwind on request of the operator.

3 kts of tailwind or 15, big whoop. What matters is specifics to the takeoff or landing in question. With a 13’k runway close to sea level, no terrain, cool day, data could be forgiving.

Take that 3 kt tailwind to higher density altitude, heavy, with terrain, warm, & it becomes a different story. Like so many things in aviation, it all depends. One may do something today, it’s just fine, next week, it may not be a great idea.

Of course even with favorable data, there is still room for the pilot to screw something up, like floating & landing long.

Unfortunately we (pilots in the US) live in a pretty large glass house when it comes to runway overruns.
In the airplane I teach, we’ve been losing about one airframe a year to overruns for the last 8 years at least. Most of them involve wet or contaminated runways. Most of them seem to involve pilots landing high and/or fast, touching down long. We’ve had a couple that I can recall years ago that touched down with less than 1000 feet remaining.

Back