Veteran and Some Medical Issues.

Juan Alicea

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
AleronerSailor
Hello

I'm an Iraqi Freedom Veteran and currently receiving payments for high blood pressure and Major Depressive Disorder and Anxiety, had a couple of panic attacks but been controlled for years now. Last year discovered I had a Carcinoma on my thyroid and was removed. My SSRI is lexapro and I've been off Ativan for 3 months and taking Syntroid for thyroid treatment. Is there any hope for a third class medical?

Last edited:
You need a good consultation (not application) with a HIMS AME (which you will need anyhow). Multiple meds to treat multiple disorders is not going to bode well for you I feel. You're going to need SIs for both the psychiatric disorders and the thyroid cancer.

The high blood pressure if controlled shouldn't be an issue.

You need a good consultation (not application) with a HIMS AME (which you will need anyhow). Multiple meds to treat multiple disorders is not going to bode well for you I feel. You're going to need SIs for both the psychiatric disorders and the thyroid cancer.

That's the thing. I tried to go and consult the only HIMS AME in Puerto Rico and he told me he whould only see me after filling the application. It was weird. I can go anywhere if possible but need to know if it's possible because if not i would not even attempt it.

I'm a new person in this. Basicmed is in my understanding if you have held any class certificate after 2006. I know i can have both of them at the same time but i need a third class medical at least first. If it's wrong let me know.

I'm a new person in this. Basicmed is in my understanding if you have held any class certificate after 2006. I know i can have both of them at the same time but i need a third class medical at least first. If it's wrong let me know.
You are correct. And your HIMS doctor should let you do a consult, rather than just leading you into failure immediately.

Your understanding is correct with regard to basic med. You have to have had a third-class issued at least once.

Hypothryoidism by itself is cause for a special issuance, but not a very difficult one. The major depressive disorder is going to be a tricky issue

You need a doc who will consult - do not fill out any paper work

If you want to fly for a hobby you can go the sport pilot route that needs only a drivers license. No 3rd class and/or basic med ever needed

Thank you for your service. FWIW to me doesn’t make sense. You got a depression for serving your country. You’re more stable now than someone not being treated. But the FAA is going to block you vs an untreated person because that’s how they roll.

Hypothryoidism by itself is cause for a special issuance, but not a very difficult one. The major depressive disorder is going to be a tricky issue

I don't think that's correct. I'm hypothryoid, but my only SI was for my liver, not my thyroid.

As the others have said...

77E9D669-1BF2-451A-A13F-B3FEADCDFAFA.jpeg

this way you have the chance to learn from the HIMS AME what you need to bring to the live exam and what your chances for success are

I don't think that's correct. I'm hypothryoid, but my only SI was for my liver, not my thyroid.
I don't know how the FAA works...it's a great mystery to me. At my recent 3rd class medical, my AME, after phone discussion with Oklahoma, issued me a 3rd class on the spot. About a week later I got a different Class 3 in the mail from Oklahoma with a special issuance for hypothyroidism. Big surprise to me. I didn't apply for the SI, they just automatically sent it to me after reviewing my medical application and the documents my AME must have sent them.

thyroid.png

Last edited:
You need a doc who will consult - do not fill out any paper work

If you want to fly for a hobby you can go the sport pilot route that needs only a drivers license. No 3rd class and/or basic med ever needed

Thank you for your service. FWIW to me doesn’t make sense. You got a depression for serving your country. You’re more stable now than someone not being treated. But the FAA is going to block you vs an untreated person because that’s how they roll.
That's what sometimes gets me. I would even like to leave the the VA system and "benefits" just to fly for work or pleasure..
I don't know how the FAA works...it's a great mystery to me. At my recent 3rd class medical, my AME, after phone discussion with Oklahoma, issued me a 3rd class on the spot. About a week later I got a different Class 3 in the mail from Oklahoma with a special issuance for hypothyroidism. Big surprise to me. I didn't apply for the SI, they just automatically sent it to me after reviewing my medical application and the documents my AME must have sent them.

View attachment 88740
Maybe because he defered you

View attachment 88740
I don't have issues with the thyroid or other treatment. I'm just taking lexapro which is an approved medicine and the history which i think It's whats gets me

Maybe because he defered you

Except I left his office with a class 3 medical that he signed.

I don't have issues with the thyroid or other treatment. I'm just taking lexapro which is an approved medicine and the history which i think It's whats gets me
Sorry...I misunderstood when you said you had had your thyroid removed for cancer of the thyroid. That, of course, would make you hypothyroid.

Except I left his office with a class 3 medical that he signed.

Sorry...I misunderstood when you said you had had your thyroid removed for cancer of the thyroid. That, of course, would make you hypothyroid.
You are correct. I wish i can get a third class. Willing to go anywhere

As the others have said...

View attachment 88737

this way you have the chance to learn from the HIMS AME what you need to bring to the live exam and what your chances for success are
Hahaha i’m trying but here in PR there’s only one and he told me that i needed the application. Willing to go anywhere i can get help. Don’t wanna ommit

Only one AME on your island ? Crazy.

TellaMedicine / zoom. Docs use it all the time now. Suggest get recos for a consult and then ask for it to be on line.

Only one AME on your island ? Crazy.

TellaMedicine / zoom. Docs use it all the time now. Suggest get recos for a consult and then ask for it to be on line.
Not one AME. Just One Hims AME which is the one that deals with psycological stuff to my understanding

That’s the thing he said that he would not see me without the application on hand. He is the only one in PR
Still possible if you know how to "play the game".... take a read of this. It's the cut and paste I created for consultations....

AME Consultations

When you set the appointment, ask for a consultation, not an examination.

If the AME or his staff ask you to fill out the MedXpress form (FAAa Form 8500-8), it is okay to do so. But be ware there is a way you get snaffoozled by the staff without you knowing about it.

At the bottom of the form when you complete it and print it is a confirmation number. If the staff takes that number and enters it into the FAA medical certification system, your consult just became a live exam. And a live exam must proceed to a decision. A decision of issue, deny or defer.

To avoid the snafoozle, take a pair of scissors and clip off the confirmation number. Put that in your pocket. Now the AME has the info, but no way to open your file on the FAA system.

Proceed with consultation ask your questions, get the guidance, and write down your notes.

The end of the consultation should result in one of two outcomes: (1) the AME says he has enough to issue your certificate right now; or (2) The AME educates you on the requirements and provides a list of things to obtain and bring back for the real exam.

He should also tell you if this will be an in office issuance or a situation where the FAA requires it to be a “deferral” because the issuance decision must be made at a higher level. If deferral, do find out if the AME will go above and beyond as your advocate to make sure the application doesn’t get hung up in channels

Another HIMS AME a bit closer to you than Dr. Bruce....

Dr. Lou Fowler of Pensacola, FL

His website says that he's not taking too much cases.
He's reached a point where he gets to (and deserves to) choose who he is willing to work with.

Which basically are the ones that will listen to what he says to do and will go do that without back sass or whiny bitching.

He's reached a point where he gets to (and deserves to) choose who he is willing to work with.

Which basically are the ones that will listen to what he says to do and will go do that without back sass or whiny bitching.
That would be me because he's the most experienced and the best that i have seen doing HIMS AME work. His results and honesty are so great!

You never know unless you ask either/both Dr Bruce and Dr Lou. Email is cheap and easy.

Hahaha i’m trying but here in PR there’s only one and he told me that i needed the application. Willing to go anywhere i can get help. Don’t wanna ommit
He likely wants you to fill out the application because it guides the consultation. Believe it or not,it does not require your entire medical history. At the same time, it requires some things that are not medical history. You can fill it out, print it out, and remove the code that allows him to open the file online.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back