10-Day Instrument Course Curriculum

smv

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
smv
I am very curious to see the cirriculum outline used during one of these 10-day courses if anyone has one they are willing to share...

Full disclosure: I do not necessarily agree with the idea behind a 10-Day instrument course (I do not think you can get enough real-world weather scenarios in 10 consecutive days unless you get real 'lucky'), but I am willing to hear from those who have obtained their instrument ticket via this method.

Can't give you a specific curriculum. Suspect it's pretty much the same, only faster. I did GATTS and got about 3 - 4 hours actual. The biggest difference I saw between this and my PP was you never got to a point where you said, "I've got this". Instead, you just got new stuff piled on. I always felt behind the curve. What I didn't realize until after it was over was how much became unconscious competence. I learned how to use my avionics to a level that I hadn't in 200 hours in my plane before the course. Some things might have been a bit light (see the threads on copying, reading back and remembering approach clearances). My first flight in actual after the course was about 5 days after I got back and was IMC out of Atlanta, VFR on top and then a GPS approach through a 1,000 foot layer to 1,000 ceiling. Felt comfortable through the whole approach.

If the concept of Conscious vs Unconscious competence makes sense, the accelerated is better for the latter.

For me, I felt like I learned it better in the accelerated course than I would have dragging it out 2 - 3 times a week.

Can't give you a specific curriculum. Suspect it's pretty much the same, only faster. I did GATTS and got about 3 - 4 hours actual. The biggest difference I saw between this and my PP was you never got to a point where you said, "I've got this". Instead, you just got new stuff piled on. I always felt behind the curve. What I didn't realize until after it was over was how much became unconscious competence. I learned how to use my avionics to a level that I hadn't in 200 hours in my plane before the course. Some things might have been a bit light (see the threads on copying, reading back and remembering approach clearances). My first flight in actual after the course was about 5 days after I got back and was IMC out of Atlanta, VFR on top and then a GPS approach through a 1,000 foot layer to 1,000 ceiling. Felt comfortable through the whole approach.

If the concept of Conscious vs Unconscious competence makes sense, the accelerated is better for the latter.

For me, I felt like I learned it better in the accelerated course than I would have dragging it out 2 - 3 times a week.

Thank you for that... It makes sense. Still would like to see an outline if anyone happens to have one laying around. I am not looking for the curriculum itself, just the outline. Like:

Day 1
0800 - 0805 - Introductions
0805 - 0827 - Basic Instrument Flight
0827 - 0829 - Unusul Attitudes
0829 - 0831 - Restroom Break

...or whatever.... :D

I did the PIC course with Ron Levy instructing. And yes, it was drinking from firehose. 10-days wasn't enough... I should have booked 12 maybe 13.

We actually ran out of time before Ron had to return home. No check ride happened, and I actually finished about 9 months later. However, the items he did teach me I remember much of it, and use it in both IFR and VFR flying.

@smv, I don't have a "short sweet" outline like you wish... Just a big thick binder that's packed away somewhere not easy to get at.

What happened when during the day was somewhat fluid based upon what had been accomplished versus what needed to be done.

Essentially there was a master punch list of items to be taught, demonstrated, and then practiced to proficiency. Ground knowledge items were also part of the teaching. This master list was based upon the PTS.

Reactions: smv
Essentially there was a master punch list of items to be taught, demonstrated, and then practiced to proficiency. Ground knowledge items were also part of the teaching. This master list was based upon the PTS.

Thank you. I have to imagine they have a pretty tightly choreographed schedule for those capable of keeping up with the 10-day pace. I get being able to persevere, overcome, and/or adapt to changing situations and learning abilities, but at its core, there is still somewhere a 10-day schdule that they try to meet.

Thinking back over the years of on-and-off training I received between PP and IP, I would like to think I would have been able to knock it out in ten days, but I really have my doubts... :oops:

but I really have my doubts...
When I talk with folks who are entertaining taking on such a program, my counsel has always been "10-days is a bit too ambitious. Plan and budget for 13 or 14 due to possible really bad weather, maintenance issues, or you just need a day off."

I do think the compressed program can be done, but
  1. Not every student is up to the task, and
  2. Not very instructor is capable of the task.

I do think the compressed program can be done, but
  1. Not every student is up to the task, and
  2. Not very instructor is capable of the task.

1. I am not so sure I would have been.
2. Part of the reason I am asking is to improve my own techniques and lesson plans to better serve my students.

Part of the reason I am asking is to improve my own techniques and lesson plans to better serve my students
Which is something I'm very much thinking of as I get ready for my initial ride before Labor Day.

One thing I would like to participate in someday would be a symposium like event, possible hosted by SAFE or NAFI, that provides the opportunity to learn from my betters. Hear the talk about the tips, tricks, techniques that they have developed through years of teaching that make them a top level instructor.

Jason Miller does lots of this on his pod cast and YT channel. I wish more really good instructors would follow suit.

One thing I would like to participate in someday would be a symposium like event, possible hosted by SAFE or NAFI, that provides the opportunity to learn from my betters. Hear the talk about the tips, tricks, techniques that they have developed through years of teaching that make them a top level instructor.

That is something I would go out of my way to attend.

Jason Miller does lots of this on his pod cast and YT channel. I wish more really good instructors would follow suit.

Is that the "Finer Points" dude? He has some pretty good stuff. :D

I did the American Flyers 10 instrument course...basically your outline is it. Mine was 8am to noon academics and sims. Noon to 1 lunch, 1 to 5 flying and debrief. Get home and another 3 hours or so of homework. Rinse and repeat....I did have one day, around day 5, that was a half day. They say thats built for burn out and it was MUCH appreciated.

I got a good bit of actual. Matter of fact I had actual on my first stage check.

Overall I really enjoyed it but yeah it was rough. I was doubting why I did it but it finally around day 6 started to click. Had I not done it that way I would still be working on it 7 years later. Haha

I did the PIC course. The text for that class is Peter Dogan's Instrument Flight Training Manual. I recommend you get that. It's perhaps the best book on the actual flying part of instrument training (as opposed to learning the drivel the FAA wants for the knowledge test) out there.

This is all from memory. I'm pretty sure I have a PIC outline in a looseleaf binder down in the hangar somewhere.

Day 1 Morning: Paperwork and learning their command-performance for the six regimes defined for instrument flight on the simulator. (Probably spent some basic fly by instruments stuff that I didn't need much of).
Day 1 Afternoon: Redo what we did on the simulator in my particular aircraft.
Day 2: All day in the airplane, basic stuff including partial panel and unusual attitudes.
Day 3-5: Home in the simulator, lots of nuts and bolts stuff on flight planning and flying. ADF procedures (since my plane doesn't have one) and approaches. Sim and book work.
Day 6: Fly approaches.
Day 7: Cross Country
Day 8: Mock checkride in the morning, work on paperwork for the checkride in the afternoon. Review the two questions I missed on the written, etc.
Day 9: Time off for good behavior.
Day 10: Check ride.

I did the PIC course. The text for that class is Peter Dogan's Instrument Flight Training Manual. I recommend you get that. It's perhaps the best book on the actual flying part of instrument training (as opposed to learning the drivel the FAA wants for the knowledge test) out there.

This is all from memory. I'm pretty sure I have a PIC outline in a looseleaf binder down in the hangar somewhere.

Day 1 Morning: Paperwork and learning their command-performance for the six regimes defined for instrument flight on the simulator. (Probably spent some basic fly by instruments stuff that I didn't need much of).
Day 1 Afternoon: Redo what we did on the simulator in my particular aircraft.
Day 2: All day in the airplane, basic stuff including partial panel and unusual attitudes.
Day 3-5: Home in the simulator, lots of nuts and bolts stuff on flight planning and flying. ADF procedures (since my plane doesn't have one) and approaches. Sim and book work.
Day 6: Fly approaches.
Day 7: Cross Country
Day 8: Mock checkride in the morning, work on paperwork for the checkride in the afternoon. Review the two questions I missed on the written, etc.
Day 9: Time off for good behavior.
Day 10: Check ride.

Very nice. Thank you. Apparently I had a different idea of what, exactly, the course(s) did for the student. My understanding was that you got there with zero instrument experience and knowledge. It would appear that they expect you to arrive having already taken (or being prepared to take) the Knowledge Exam... or do I have it wrong again?

Very nice. Thank you. Apparently I had a different idea of what, exactly, the course(s) did for the student. My understanding was that you got there with zero instrument experience and knowledge. It would appear that they expect you to arrive having already taken (or being prepared to take) the Knowledge Exam... or do I have it wrong again?
Nope - as per the PIC website (and most others that provide this service) you're expected to have passed the written, and have the 50 hours of VFR xcountry before starting. My plan (none of my plans ever work but I keep trying) is to call PIC after the first of the year to schedule. Since I already have the IFR XC and a fair amount of hours under the hood, I'm hoping for less than 10 days, but that's for the CFII to evaluate, not me. I've been trying to get thru the written for years (please, don't mention Sheppard) I'm working thru the King videos - again for the 3rd time but work always seems to intrude.

Nope - as per the PIC website (and most others that provide this service) you're expected to have passed the written, and have the 50 hours of VFR xcountry before starting. My plan (none of my plans ever work but I keep trying) is to call PIC after the first of the year to schedule. Since I already have the IFR XC and a fair amount of hours under the hood, I'm hoping for less than 10 days, but that's for the CFII to evaluate, not me. I've been trying to get thru the written for years (please, don't mention Sheppard) I'm working thru the King videos - again for the 3rd time but work always seems to intrude.

Ahhh... That makes more sense. Thank you.

Thank you for that... It makes sense. Still would like to see an outline if anyone happens to have one laying around. I am not looking for the curriculum itself, just the outline. Like:

Day 1
0800 - 0805 - Introductions
0805 - 0827 - Basic Instrument Flight
0827 - 0829 - Unusul Attitudes
0829 - 0831 - Restroom Break

...or whatever.... :D

Restroom break after just one hour??? Holding that off for about three hours or so and then get into missed approaches and alternates would be more like it.:happydance:

I came in having passed the written (three times and letting it expire) without really doing much actual Instrument Training. I had certainly read everything I could about instrument flying, had subscribed to IFR magazine, etc... I knew the "book work" cold. All I needed was someone to sit down with me and fly. About four days into the course, the instructor asked what I thought about the pacing. I said it was fine by me, why? He said I was the first student he ever had that he thought he was holding back. I really did the test in 8 1/2 days of instruction. PIC gave me a day's worth of fee back, though I had not asked for it. They do have shorter "finish up" programs if you've actually had some amount of instrument instruction started.

Back