Database accuracy

Grum.Man

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Grum.Man
Granted my GPS is ancient but the past few updates have been pretty screwed up. There are a few places where the wrong frequency is listed either for CTAF or AWOS. Anyone else seen this?

One example from today was the AWOS for KEXX on my KLN90B was the one for KRUQ. I’ve seen the same issue at other airports for both CTAF and AWOS BUT can’t remember exact examples.

that's why you go Garmin. nothing bad ever happens to Garmin :happydance:

that's why you go Garmin. nothing bad ever happens to Garmin :happydance:

my ole 430W still rocks the free world. Specially with a Flight Stream 210 to sync flight plans and get ADSB data to the iPad for ForeFlight.

I update the data about once a year.

Pretty sure Garmin doesn't care about Bendix/King GPS/database errors

Perhaps you would be so kind as to point out which part of the original post says anything about Bendix or King?

Perhaps you would be so kind as to point out which part of the original post says anything about Bendix or King?

Wasn't in the OP, but it was in #4
One example from today was the AWOS for KEXX on my KLN90B was the one for KRUQ. I’ve seen the same issue at other airports for both CTAF and AWOS BUT can’t remember exact examples.

Wasn't in the OP, but it was in #4

Imagine how much more you could know if you did not waste that much brain space by having memorized every model of every radio ever manufactured. :rolleyes:

Granted my GPS is ancient but the past few updates have been pretty screwed up. There are a few places where the wrong frequency is listed either for CTAF or AWOS. Anyone else seen this?

All sorts of things can happen to data. When our LPV approach was brand spanking new, one of the early waves of LPVs, Jepp decided not to include it in the data card updates for the GNS-430 for a couple of cycles, citing some sort of space considerations that precluded inclusion of all approaches. It finally showed up after I inquired why it wasn't there.

Imagine how much more you could know if you did not waste that much brain space by having memorized every model of every radio ever manufactured. :rolleyes:
K= King.
G=Garmin
It's almost like those Garmin guys used to work for King or something.

K= King.
G=Garmin
It's almost like those Garmin guys used to work for King or something.

All small planes are Cessnas, all copy manchines are Xerox, all bandages are Band-Aids, all tissues are Kleenex, and all GPS's are Garmin. Plus GPS starts with G, so...

You missed the point. You don't have to "memorize every model." A GXX-XXX can be reasonably guessed to be a Garmin unit. A KXX-XXX is a King unit. Of course, that's about where that sort of thing ends. The joke was that Garmin was founded by Gary Burrell and Min Kao who had worked together at King.

Googling it only took 3 mouse clicks too

You missed the point. You don't have to "memorize every model." A GXX-XXX can be reasonably guessed to be a Garmin unit. A KXX-XXX is a King unit. Of course, that's about where that sort of thing ends. The joke was that Garmin was founded by Gary Burrell and Min Kao who had worked together at King.

Hahaha... Yah... Mostly I was being defensive because I missed the model number in the later post and likely would not have caught the difference even if I had. :oops:

I defaulted to the Garmin correction submission site because for years they used NavTeq data for terrestrial maps and were only one of many who did... Over the years I submitted and had accepted multiple corrections, mostly around rural Montana. Those changes would trickle out to all the different systems using NavTeq.

I was not aware of the Gary/Min story and often wondered from where the name was derived.

Last edited:
Waitaminute.... It says the 'Aviation Database' EXPIRED on 10 Sep 2020? What date does it think it is now? o_O

thats written by a forward looking developer

Reactions: smv
Aside from the forward-looking programmer, with the obstacle database being out of date is it still legal for IFR?

Back