Cylinder break-in question

Arnold

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Arnold
Well the mighty A-65 Continental powerhouse has 4 new Millennium cylinders. I understand that break-in is a high power affair and I understand why. I flew 2.5 yesterday. My question is when can I take an hour to get night current? Must I wait until 25 hours are over or may I sneak that in during the first 25 hours?

I didn't do pattern work until oil consumption stabilized, maybe after 10 hours.

Arnold, is there an airport in your area with a long enough field to perform your night currency with the option?

I’m on a 6500 foot runway and land in the first thousand feet, come to a full stop, and then takeoff; thus satisfying the requirement for a full stop landing. You will avoid the taxi background activity during the break in period.

Well the mighty A-65 Continental powerhouse has 4 new Millennium cylinders.

Superior cylinders will be broke in before you get to pattern altitude.

running hard increases the change that you will over heat the oil control rings, then they just collapse into the piston and never their job. because the temper that provides the spring action that removes the excess oil will be destroyed.

I have 2 engines that the pilot did this, and now suffers 1 qt of oil to 3hours.

Years ago the cylinder walls had deep scratches that require the burned oil to fill and polish prior to the cylinder would be considered broke in.

not so anymore, superior hones with a fine stone, leaving no scratches to break in.

all of my 0-300/0-200 never use drop of oil in the first 25 hours.

Old wives tales die hard.

Superior cylinders will be broke in before you get to pattern altitude.

running hard increases the change that you will over heat the oil control rings, then they just collapse into the piston and never their job. because the temper that provides the spring action that removes the excess oil will be destroyed.

I have 2 engines that the pilot did this, and now suffers 1 qt of oil to 3hours.

Years ago the cylinder walls had deep scratches that require the burned oil to fill and polish prior to the cylinder would be considered broke in.

not so anymore, superior hones with a fine stone, leaving no scratches to break in.

all of my 0-300/0-200 never use drop of oil in the first 25 hours.

Old wives tales die hard.
Tom, could you please cite something from Superior to support your comments?

Tom, could you please cite something from Superior to support your comments?
20, engines speak to them selves.

simply look a cylinder and see if they have deep scratches.

common sense

Why not follow the Superior break-in guidelines, which are like most any other cylinder instructions? Run at least 65-75% power until oil consumption stabilizes. For every new cylinder I've ever installed, that hasn't taken more than a few hours of operation. For my Penn Yan overhauled engine, oil consumption was nil after the first flight. It shouldn't take 25 hours to break in.

Why not follow the Superior break-in guidelines, which are like most any other cylinder instructions? Run at least 65-75% power until oil consumption stabilizes. For every new cylinder I've ever installed, that hasn't taken more than a few hours of operation. For my Penn Yan overhauled engine, oil consumption was nil after the first flight. It shouldn't take 25 hours to break in.
actually read..

• At no time should cylinder head temperature be allowed to exceed original airframe equipment

manufacturer recommended maximum cruise limit.

You can't do that when you run hard.
https://www.superiorairparts.com/downloads/serviceletters/L96-08.pdf

actually read..

• At no time should cylinder head temperature be allowed to exceed original airframe equipment

Here's the entire set of instructions:
BREAK-IN FLIGHT OPERATION:
• Perform normal pre-flight and run-up in accordance with engine operator’s manual (remember: only cycle prop to a 100 RPM drop if you have a controllable pitch propeller). Keep ground runs to a minimum.
• Conduct normal take-off at full power, full rich mixture, to a safe altitude.
• Maintain a shallow climb at full power. Use caution to avoid overheating the cylinders. Should overheating occur, reduce power and adjust mixture appropriately. Refer to Pilot’s Operating Handbook for specific procedures and temperatures including leaning to a fuel flow meter or leaning without EGT or fuel flow meters.
• Monitor RPM, oil pressure, oil temperature & cylinder temperature. • During the first hour of operation, maintain level flight at 75% power. Vary the power setting every 15 minutes during the second hour between 65-75%.
• Avoid long descents at cruise RPM and low manifold pressure (could cause ring flutter).
• After landing, check again for any fuel and/or oil leaks, or other discrepancies, and repair.
• Continue flying at 65-75% power with mixture adjusted to approximately 75°F rich of peak EGT on subsequent flights until rings have seated, oil consumption stabilizes, and cylinder head temperatures drop. This is a sign that the cylinders are broken in. Refer to Pilots Operating Handbook for leaning with fuel a flow meter or leaning without fuel flow or EGT meters.
• After break-in, oil may be changed to ashless dispersent of the proper grade. • At no time should cylinder head temperature be allowed to exceed original airframe equipment manufacturer recommended maximum cruise limit.

This is the same reference as you cited, and directly contradicts your post #4

actually read..

An A-65 is going to overheat at cruise 65% full rich, with cruise climbs for extra cooling? Monitoring cylinder temps is nice if you have the equipment, but many low hp planes don't have engine monitors. I must have baked all my new cylinders, including the ones that don't consume oil now or the ones that went the distance in my two prior engine runs.

Back