Glider Pilot violated by FAA for impromptu airshow

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
From the Pilot:
Update 10 months later: I uploaded this video and 4 days later had over 200k views. The video got reported and the FAA had serious concerns with this performance/flight. Lesson learned: Don't fly any kind of performance for any group or crowd (even if asked by the airshow management and cleared through the airboss) if you are NOT an approved airshow performer (have something called a SAC card)!!! The FAA will surely come after you with violations. The end result for me: $$ thousands spent on legal fees and I will soon be taking a forced 7 month break from flying. :( I was told I was very luck to not lose my license permanently over this. Yikes! Why am I sharing all this? I only had good intentions of showing what a glider is capable of doing, but I am not a trained airshow performer and I didn't know the rules for airshow performances. If in doubt - don't do it! I hope this will help other pilots to not have to go through what I have over the last 10 months. Cheers and stay safe! Bruno - B4

So, was the issue the fact that there was an audience, or aerobatics close to an airport and/or low level?

There are reasons cameras are not welcome within the confines of the Lucky Strike. Less evidence made means less to burn.

So, was the issue the fact that there was an audience, or aerobatics close to an airport and/or low level?

That there was an audience. I've never heard of it, but apparenly you have to be certified to perform aerobatics at a show.

That there was an audience. I've never heard of it, but apparenly you have to be certified to perform aerobatics at a show.

You have to be authorized to deviate from the provisions of 91.303, which are even more stringent than 91.119.

91.303:

Aerobatic flight.
No person may operate an aircraft in aerobatic flight -

(a) Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement;

(b) Over an open air assembly of persons;

(c) Within the lateral boundaries of the surface areas of Class B, Class C, Class D, or Class E airspace designated for an airport;

(d) Within 4 nautical miles of the center line of any Federal airway;

(e) Below an altitude of 1,500 feet above the surface; or

(f) When flight visibility is less than 3 statute miles.

For the purposes of this section, aerobatic flight means an intentional maneuver involving an abrupt change in an aircraft's attitude, an abnormal attitude, or abnormal acceleration, not necessary for normal flight.

Back