Man builds and flys his own ViperJet Mk II

Kind of reminds me of Bally’s Bomber. Spends all that effort and time building it then turns around and sells it right away.

I guess that for some it’s the accomplishment of the build.

I agree. He's planning on building something else, maybe a glider.

Aside from the amount of $ he has invested and the fact that he’s now selling it, I thought I was reading an article about myself!

Dude's a basket case, ruined a perfectly good view with a plastic compass front and center.

I guess that for some it’s the accomplishment of the build.
It looks as if only one in three kits made it to FAA registration. Hopefully this is a more stable platform than the Bede Jet, which has about 100% crash rate, if I recall correctly.

It looks as if only one in three kits made it to FAA registration. Hopefully this is a more stable platform than the Bede Jet, which has about 100% crash rate, if I recall correctly.
not quiet 100 percent. there are two that were put in museums before they could crash. N2BD, now N98MJ, the original one, and N700JP.

Wiki says 3000-3500 hrs to build according to the kit makers. Since he took 12000 hours, must have been doing a lot of “composting”.

Cheers

Where can I get an "advanced pilot’s license" like he says he did? Is that beyond ATP? Very impressive!

not quiet 100 percent. there are two that were put in museums before they could crash. N2BD, now N98MJ, the original one, and N700JP.
My A&P instructor has the fuselage of one, and. there’s one in the Hiller Helicopter Museum in San Carlos, CA. It is the one flown out. The octopussy (she had 8 cats).

I can't find the wing loading on this aircraft. Or some fuel burn vs altitude charts.

My A&P instructor has the fuselage of one, and. there’s one in the Hiller Helicopter Museum in San Carlos, CA. It is the one flown out. The octopussy (she had 8 cats).
the bede in the hiller museum is a 5 not a 10. there were only 5 bd-10's ever built. three were destroyed in crashes. of the remaining 2 one is in toroto in a museum that is N700jp, and N2BD, Now N98MJ is in nevada.

My favorite part with Legos was always building

I got a kick out of this choice of words:

“The ViperJet is currently being held at the Chehalis-Centralia Airport”

makes it seems as if it’s impounded.

I can't find the wing loading on this aircraft. Or some fuel burn vs altitude charts.

Wing Loading = 50 pounds/square foot
Fuel consumption at 25,000 ft = 125 gph with the GE J85-17. Apparently the turbofan engine version never materialized.

From the March 2009 Kitplanes article:

ViperJet Mk II Specs.jpg

I never built a jet, so don't have any idea about this, from the OP article:
He did everything from metalwork to composting to bonding, where does the composting fit in?
my wife is good at composting, maybe she can help me built a jet, maybe...

Wing Loading = 50 pounds/square foot
My hat’s off to Mr Thomas; swept wing jet with much higher wing loading than what many of us in the GA crowd fly; no mention of special training (did I miss it?) no mention of advanced ratings.

I never built a jet, so don't have any idea about this, from the OP article:
He did everything from metalwork to composting to bonding, where does the composting fit in?
my wife is good at composting, maybe she can help me built a jet, maybe...
I think the author was trying to invent a new word, "metalwork to compositing to bonding" and autocorrect plugged in the closest word it knew. o_O

the bede in the hiller museum is a 5 not a 10. there were only 5 bd-10's ever built. three were destroyed in crashes. of the remaining 2 one is in toroto in a museum that is N700jp, and N2BD, Now N98MJ is in nevada.
You've posted this info twice now, and both times one of the two of us can't do math.

Ok thanks

Back