Phentermine DNI?

C

Confused

I just visited with my primary care facility (Not where my AME is) and was told to try phentermine for a couple months to see if it helps with weight loss.
I know this drug is listed on the DNI, my question is am I allowed to self regulate my flying as PIC. If I follow the 5 x hourly dose rule am I okay to act as PIC and will this prescription mess me up in the future for medicals?
Does it need to be reported to the FAA and if any of the answers to the above are "Yes, you're screwed", if I simply don't take it am I okay?

yes phentermine is used for weight loss, at some point one of my doctors had recommended that to me, i passed and took the old school way.

anyway, dont know how it affects your medical. someone else can comment on that, but let me tell you my second hand experience, a buddy of mine was prescribed it because he wanted to quit smoking, apparently phentermine has some crap in it that does some juju to your neurons or whatever.. anyway, after a week of that he would wander around aimlessly with me and tell me things why is sky blue and why are leaves green and why not the other way around. sounds funny right? its not when you hear it from someone close and they are asking those question not to make a joke, but they seriously mean it. anyway, after another week he had suicidal thoughts and finally discontinued the medication. everything he went went through is actually listed in the side effects. doesn't mean it will happen to you or someone else... but its just not worth the trouble to find out first hand.

i would think if you are on basicmed and self regulate, you are all good, just like if you have a sore throat and take some NyQuil. not sure how it affects if you are going for a medical though.

paging @bbchien for the answer.

If you have a regular FAA medical (not basic med), you should not take any drug that is on the DNI list or otherwise restricted by the FAA in violation of those restrictions. Your use of your medical certificate is predicated on you not flying if you have a condition (including taking medication) that is contrary to the requirements for the certificate you hold

Two items ground that Rx
#1 the verboten med
#2 the non steady state use of such

if you fill that rx you will have a lot of ‘splashing to do.....

I appreciate the replies thus far.

Two items ground that Rx
#1 the verboten med
#2 the non steady state use of such

if you fill that rx you will have a lot of ‘splashing to do.....
@bbchien, if the Rx was sent to the pharmacy immediately, if I just refuse to pick it up, will that be okay or should I start finding some floaties for the pool?

I just called to cancel the Rx and make sure was marked as such.
Go to doctor's office and get something on his letter head and with his signature on it saying you cancelled. Put that where you keep important papers like deed to house and birth certificates.

If the FAA ever comes calling saying, "Why did you take that drug?" because of Pharma records, then you have the best "No, I didn't" documentation.

I just called to cancel the Rx and make sure was marked as such.
Call or go in to check. In these days, as we stumble through the evolving complexities of the Electronic Health Record, adding or subtracting such entries from yours may or may not actually happen just because you called someone and asked them to do it. If your health care facility has a patient portal, sign up for it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back