Raptor Aircraft

The first flight (assuming it is successful) should be a climb over the airport to 10,000' then head direct Cartersville (or Calhoun), then direct Rome. Nice 6,000' field at Rome with great over-runs and lots of nearby pastureland. I'm betting this thing ends its flying time in a field or ditch somewhere. Not that I'm pulling against them, but I do not think the powertrain is properly conceived/implemented. So they need to relocate to a friendlier location for an off-airport landing.

Glasgow ,Montana LONG runway 13,500' with 4115 of it concrete.

Glasgow ,Montana LONG runway 13,500' with 4115 of it concrete.
There's more to selecting a place for Phase I testing than than runway length.

For example, Density altitude at Glasgow can exceed 6,000'. In Valdosta 3,000' is about as bad as it gets. And in a couple months it's going to be cold up there. And Glasgow is literally in the middle of nowhere. If you need a part beyond what's available at the local auto parts store real fast, you're out of luck. Aircraft Spruce is about a 3 hour drive or a 1.5 hour flight from Valdosta.

Personally, I still like Huntsville. Two 10,000'+ runways so he probably wouldn't annoy the tower too much with testing. Then again, maybe he called and they advised against it.

Personally, I still like Huntsville. Two 10,000'+ runways so he probably wouldn't annoy the tower too much with testing. Then again, maybe he called and they advised against it.

There are also certification issues. That aircraft was FAA inspected last August. Because of how it is registered (it isn't an EAB), he'll have to have it re-inspected - the current cert runs out at the end of August. It may be that he found a DAR in Georgia who is comfortable with signing off the project and wants to stay aligned with that DAR (Designated Airworthiness Representative). DAR's have territories, and (depending) he might be outside of that DAR's territory in Huntsville, but not Valdosta.

So you're saying that Justin should have bet his life on YouTube videos and data that was gathered by hopelessly inexact taxi runs made by someone without any test flying experience and without any regard to fixed parameters?[...]

Not sure why you're defending these guys - the acceleration was already obviously sluggish in the videos Peter posted. Do you seriously believe that they honestly thought that if one of them pushed the throttle forward instead of him, the thing would somehow magically accelerate much faster? :rolleyes:

[...] You don't seem to have the slightest grasp on the seriousness of pushing in the throttle and leaving the runway in what by all appearances is a poorly designed and ineptly constructed aircraft.

Oh, I think I very well do. This is why I will test fly our Zenith CH750 CruZer, of which several thousand are already flying and which has a stall speed of only 39 mph, out of a 5,000 ft runway, surrounded by farm land.

These 'experts' however needed three(!!!) visits to figure out that a 5,400 ft runway, surrounded by hostile terrain, might be a little bit too close for comfort to test fly a new design, with a questionable powerplant and which needs +70 kts and about half the runway length to get a single inch of the ground!?

Watching this drama unfold, I bet there will in the end be no winners at all. Peter will appear incompetent, the Wasabi guys like frauds. :(

I would also be willing to bet that they will come up with new reasons why they can't fly the thing, once he has relocated it to an airport with a longer runway. :mad:
I'm by no means a big fan of the Raptor but I absolutely HATE to see desperate people being taken advantage of.

Not sure why you're defending these guys - the acceleration was already obviously sluggish in the videos Peter posted. Do you seriously believe that they honestly thought that if one of them pushed the throttle forward instead of him, the thing would somehow magically accelerate much faster? :rolleyes:

Peter made the decision to use Cherokee County well before the Wasabi guys were involved. The airplane received its FAA inspection on 8/27/19 as I recall, and at that time, Peter had spent weeks/months doing the final assembly at Cherokee. The Wasabi guys didn't come to town until late last year for their first visit, and at that point, they found numerous discrepancies. I think at that point, they were in the no-win situation of trying to talk themselves into flying from an unsuitable airport. Once they had acceleration data, they had to pull the plug on Cherokee County.

Point is, Peter dug a hole for himself. The Wasabi guys were trying to help him dig himself out (i.e. convincing themselves to fly from Cherokee), but ultimately they had to face reality because the performance of the aircraft is so marginal for that field. Worst case is Peter paid for one extra trip by the Wassabi crew. The first two trips identified real safety concerns with the aircraft, which made those trips a good investment by Peter. If they had collected acceleration data on the second trip, the third one wouldn't have been necessary.

Oh, I think I very well do. This is why I will test fly our Zenith CH750 CruZer, of which several thousand are already flying and which has a stall speed of only 39 mph, out of a 5,000 ft runway, surrounded by farm land.

Sounds like you're the test pilot that Peter needs!

I'd like to see the Raptor team test the 3600nm range spec. Wouldn't that be great? a plane that out flies a bladder by 6x instead of 2x.

I'd like to see the Raptor team test the 3600nm range spec. Wouldn't that be great? a plane that out flies a bladder by 6x instead of 2x.

There are ways to deal with the problem. :)

I’d love that kind of range.

Your 6x bladder over-reach is my lazy 'only need to refuel the thing 1/6 as much' :D

Test pilots get flown into ATL commercial. They drive to the airport. All they know it what they see from the car. They lay eyes on aircraft. Hot mess. Tell designer how to fix it. Car bar to ATL, home. Rinse repeat. Finally, fly in commercial, get airplane to fly into Podunk Co. From airplane they see nowhere to put down in case of emergency. Given hot mess they've witnessed, emergency is far likelier than not.

The real question is why designer didn't realize this, given that he's local to the area. Why didn't he locate somewhere better for the flight testing when the thing was still a pile of parts?

The real question is why designer didn't realize this, given that he's local to the area. Why didn't he locate somewhere better for the flight testing when the thing was still a pile of parts?
Because, by all the empirical evidence we've seen so far he's a complete idiot

As I said before, I admire the tenacity and the dream.. but he's demonstrated a flip, and generally poor attitude and quality of workmanship. That Adam A500 guy had vision too, and even surrounded himself in a legit facility, only to build a crappy product that ultimately failed. It all starts at the top..

I bet with a few angle irons Raptor team could weld in a small head. A roomy spacious cabin, with 300 kts speed and amazing useful load for 3600nm range; could shave off some performance for a bathroom? :D:D:D

I bet with a few angle irons Raptor team could weld in a small head. A roomy spacious cabin, with 300 kts speed and amazing useful load for 3600nm range; could shave off some performance for a bathroom? :D:D:D
All on 6 gph!

But the angle material must be 4130 steel. Every time Peter had to make some bit from steel to try and fix his lack of knowledge, design, and planning, he ordered the material in 4130 instead of mild steel.

The aileron balance thingys? 4130. Parts for his redesigned control stick actuator? 4130. The list includes at least a dozen items. Considering the airplane is a prototype of an experimental to be released in kit form, and that's also long past the scheduled completion date and ridiculously over budget, the use of the more expensive and more difficult to source material is rather baffling.

Of course, there are other examples of material choices which went awry. It would take a while to catalog them.

I think it's a little premature to rail on the Wasabi guys for coming out three times. We have absolutely no idea what kind of conversations happened between Peter, Justin and Elliot. I've not ever met any of the people involved but I've followed Elliot's career for several years now. He is meticulous in flight testing and I in no way believe they haven't had a conversation with Peter about the test area before last week. I've heard that Wasabi is putting together a response to all of this so let's not burn them at the stake until we have two sides of the story. Peter has shown he's willing to stretch the truth to cover things up so I don't think his side (the only one we've heard) can be completely trusted in this.

..the Adam aircraft saga should be a good learning lesson for Raptor

This thread makes PoA look like a mob of angry people with pitchforks. I work in the service industry. It never ceases to amaze me how many people can't understand a simple concept. We know what we know, because we use a process to find out. That process evolves over time, and in the long run, keeps everything productive. Yeah, there are some hiccups along the way, but we don't have a crystal ball! I hope crapping all over this guy and the test team makes you feel better about yourself, because it's not helping anything else.

This thread makes PoA look like a mob of angry people with pitchforks. I work in the service industry. It never ceases to amaze me how many people can't understand a simple concept. We know what we know, because we use a process to find out. That process evolves over time, and in the long run, keeps everything productive. Yeah, there are some hiccups along the way, but we don't have a crystal ball! I hope crapping all over this guy and the test team makes you feel better about yourself, because it's not helping anything else.

Lol. Some companies crap on themselves and the commentary is just a documentary later.

I’ve got no interest or dog in this one, but you should see the IT forums with the current state of software quality, if you think these guys are mean. LOL.

Not following any sort of real engineering standards always leads to the above tale.

My industry can’t even get software developers to do basic variable bounds checking after 40 years with any real consistency. It’s like the second thing you learn writing code.

Critical security exploit in the boot loader that’s been around for twenty years, last week.

Yay kwality!

Service industry. Stop lecturing me and bring me another iced tea please and thank you.

It's the difference of this, or this vs this - nothing wrong with being an amateur.

..and yes, PoA is a very tame place compared to what you'll see on Sailing Anarchy or other places. For what it's worth, SA had a similar thread about a guy who was building his own catamaran, extremely ambitious with zero real knowledge other that gut instinct: http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/in...y-32-foot-catamaran-3200sqft-of-living-space/

the folks at SA were ruthless, but every now and then someone would give him props for his vision/ambition. Ultimately it did set sail, and started heading towards Hawaii when it eventually sank and the crew had to get helicoptered off: https://www.mercurynews.com/2015/02...orious-flyin-hawaiian-catamaran-sinks-at-sea/

my breaking point was watching the Raptor almost shake itself apart during a taxi test, and the extremely dubious "fix" - the test pilots who eventually find the envelope of this plane are brave folks.

Yeah, the taxi test with the full-deflection aileron input that damn near destroyed it was what did it for me.

It's the difference of this, or this vs this - nothing wrong with being an amateur.

..and yes, PoA is a very tame place compared to what you'll see on Sailing Anarchy or other places. For what it's worth, SA had a similar thread about a guy who was building his own catamaran, extremely ambitious with zero real knowledge other that gut instinct: http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/in...y-32-foot-catamaran-3200sqft-of-living-space/

the folks at SA were ruthless, but every now and then someone would give him props for his vision/ambition. Ultimately it did set sail, and started heading towards Hawaii when it eventually sank and the crew had to get helicoptered off: https://www.mercurynews.com/2015/02...orious-flyin-hawaiian-catamaran-sinks-at-sea/

my breaking point was watching the Raptor almost shake itself apart during a taxi test, and the extremely dubious "fix" - the test pilots who eventually find the envelope of this plane are brave folks.
I think the envelope is back in the hangar. It's definitely somewhere on the ground.

My other hobby is making very high end audio amplifiers. That whole crowd is very congenial. https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/

Someone steps out of line with a harsh work or inference, and the ban hammer comes with a warning then action. Rarely needed.

Last edited:
As a normal human, I would say this thread has become boring, boorish and BS-ish...

Since I am not a normal human and associate with Aerospace Engineers and IT/security nerds daily, you guys are just fluffy bunny feet...

Lol. Some companies crap on themselves and the commentary is just a documentary later.

I’ve got no interest or dog in this one, but you should see the IT forums with the current state of software quality, if you think these guys are mean. LOL.

Not following any sort of real engineering standards always leads to the above tale.

My industry can’t even get software developers to do basic variable bounds checking after 40 years with any real consistency. It’s like the second thing you learn writing code.

Critical security exploit in the boot loader that’s been around for twenty years, last week.

Yay kwality!

I'm on IT, software, programming, engineering, and a bunch of other forums.

It's rare to have someone put their life work out there, along with their name, company name, etc. I'm sure you know how search engines work. When people lookup Raptor Aircraft, this forum and Reddit are within the first page of results. Both threads have a lot of, hope this guy dies, fails, sees a shrink, type posts.

You can hide behind this forum and post anonymous crap all day to other anonymous people. Come see me when it's your name and company.

You can hide behind this forum and post anonymous crap all day to other anonymous people. Come see me when it's your name and company.

LOL we monitor the stupidity of what people say about our companies 24/7... even send it to its own channel in our internal Slack chat.

It’s all pretty stupid.

If ya do it, make sure folks know they’re absolutely never allowed to engage and who is allowed to.

At least we haven’t done the really annoying thing the big companies do to be cute now where they hire some marketing moron to snark at customers on Twitter. That’s ultimately a loser strategy. Funny at times but not right.

Welcome to the Covid Internet. If I had to guess judging by our monitoring feeds, more than 20% are day drinking heavily.

The internet is a cess pool. Always has been. Nowadays you can hire 100 people cheap to write fake reviews of anything you want. Real cheap.

Obviously that’s not the case here but it’s estimated some 20% and in many cases as high as 50% of Amazon product reviews are fake. There’s a couple of websites that apply AI to any Amazon product you are interested in and help determine what percentage are of that “five star” rating and will show you the top guesses as to which are real humans bored enough to review paper towels.

Last weeks anti-trust stuff with the big tech names has been interesting to dig into. The testimony was the usual lies and boring scripts, but the emails released... wow. Pure evil. All of them.

Of course one good group of tech reviewers of that information nailed it and said two things...

All the hearings did was ...

- highlight that a bunch of old ass politicians have absolutely zero clue about the technology...

- showed that once again they’re far more interested in Facebook than the pure evil going on at Apple, Microsoft, Google, etc... because the FB model is supposedly human to human and affects elections.

They can’t even fathom what bad consequences occur from the other tech companies behaving badly. In fact, they’re probably personally invested heavily in all of them.

But their cluelessness is a good macro picture of the reaction you’re having as do many others. “Wait a second. Everyone everywhere has a platform to talk about everything and it might look bad!”

Can probably plunk down a couple thousand bucks and have a whole call center overseas make anyplace you want look great or horrid for way less than traditional and mostly useless advertising.

Just last week hackers inserted an article into a journal website and every major news outlet including AP and Reuters ran it. Which with most “local” news websites linked directly into one of those meant the systems themselves simply amplified it.

There’s really no way to put this genie back into the bottle. Your example of Google placing this place high in results is an excellent example of what’s really wrong with it. What Google does NOT show is far more nefarious and makes for interesting real articles... that you’ll find difficult to find via Google.

Haven’t seen any major online sites putting their own internal e-mails from those hearings out as front page stuff, now have you? LOL.

Google got messed with by Germany trying to make them pay to be a news aggregator to try to get people to go more directly to German news without the Google filters. Google simply said sure... and turned off aggregating all German news. The German news came begging within weeks to turn it back on.

Australia’s courts just upheld a similar thing. Be interesting to see if Google handles it the same way. One tech review place pontificated — if you’re Google you just agree and turn off ALL Google services to any country messing with them. Oh sorry. No more GMail. Your country doesn’t want us tracking or filtering or using you anymore. Bye.

The real threat of the internet isn’t the real people, even if hiding behind pseudonyms. It’s the fake stuff and the agendas in the largest entrenched companies that are nearly impossible to avoid.

A little “outpost” like here? No real big deal. Google amplifies it a bit for whatever their reasons are, but could make it all disappear equally as fast. All we have to do is tick them off.

Meanwhile the largest user takeover hack in Twitter history was a 17 year old from mom’s basement with a phishing e-mail to one of 1000 people (way too many) that had access to do what he wanted at Twitter. Hilarious if it didn’t expose just how little these giants pay any attention to risk. Piles of money and people and not a single clue what to do with them all.

Vatican. Phishing. Chinese government during negotiations with them. Email disguised as a condolence note about someone who really died.

An entire worldwide Comm system based on completely unsecured logins and unauthenticated users. It’s just... spiffy.

Amazon. Says law enforcement requests to know what people purchase is up three or more fold and it’s thousands and thousands daily. They provide answers 75% of the time. Also buried in that recent testimony.

When I worked in telecom. Permanent wiretapping. Automated judicial requests. Nobody wanted to pay to man that. Add hackers... and this was two decades ago.

All that to say at least here, many of us have actually met some of the others. In person. Might even recognize if one’s account seemed to start saying things way out of character. A few grumps complaining about a clearly bad product isn’t much of a big deal at all compared to the rest of the cesspool. This is the shallow end for sure.

And yes, people say nice things about the companies I work for, too. LOL. It’s mild entertainment to see where the internet stream of BS flows, watching that chat channel. But I still have it muted and barely look at it. For me it might be a canary in a coal mine if we somehow had an outage we weren’t monitoring for. “Is XYZ company down?” That’s about it really. :)

LOL we monitor the stupidity of what people say about our companies 24/7... even send it to its own channel in our internal Slack chat.

It’s all pretty stupid.

If ya do it, make sure folks know they’re absolutely never allowed to engage and who is allowed to.

At least we haven’t done the really annoying thing the big companies do to be cute now where they hire some marketing moron to snark at customers on Twitter. That’s ultimately a loser strategy. Funny at times but not right.

Welcome to the Covid Internet. If I had to guess judging by our monitoring feeds, more than 20% are day drinking heavily.

The internet is a cess pool. Always has been. Nowadays you can hire 100 people cheap to write fake reviews of anything you want. Real cheap.

Obviously that’s not the case here but it’s estimated some 20% and in many cases as high as 50% of Amazon product reviews are fake. There’s a couple of websites that apply AI to any Amazon product you are interested in and help determine what percentage are of that “five star” rating and will show you the top guesses as to which are real humans bored enough to review paper towels.

Last weeks anti-trust stuff with the big tech names has been interesting to dig into. The testimony was the usual lies and boring scripts, but the emails released... wow. Pure evil. All of them.

Of course one good group of tech reviewers of that information nailed it and said two things...

All the hearings did was ...

- highlight that a bunch of old ass politicians have absolutely zero clue about the technology...

- showed that once again they’re far more interested in Facebook than the pure evil going on at Apple, Microsoft, Google, etc... because the FB model is supposedly human to human and affects elections.

They can’t even fathom what bad consequences occur from the other tech companies behaving badly. In fact, they’re probably personally invested heavily in all of them.

But their cluelessness is a good macro picture of the reaction you’re having as do many others. “Wait a second. Everyone everywhere has a platform to talk about everything and it might look bad!”

Can probably plunk down a couple thousand bucks and have a whole call center overseas make anyplace you want look great or horrid for way less than traditional and mostly useless advertising.

Just last week hackers inserted an article into a journal website and every major news outlet including AP and Reuters ran it. Which with most “local” news websites linked directly into one of those meant the systems themselves simply amplified it.

There’s really no way to put this genie back into the bottle. Your example of Google placing this place high in results is an excellent example of what’s really wrong with it. What Google does NOT show is far more nefarious and makes for interesting real articles... that you’ll find difficult to find via Google.

Haven’t seen any major online sites putting their own internal e-mails from those hearings out as front page stuff, now have you? LOL.

Google got messed with by Germany trying to make them pay to be a news aggregator to try to get people to go more directly to German news without the Google filters. Google simply said sure... and turned off aggregating all German news. The German news came begging within weeks to turn it back on.

Australia’s courts just upheld a similar thing. Be interesting to see if Google handles it the same way. One tech review place pontificated — if you’re Google you just agree and turn off ALL Google services to any country messing with them. Oh sorry. No more GMail. Your country doesn’t want us tracking or filtering or using you anymore. Bye.

The real threat of the internet isn’t the real people, even if hiding behind pseudonyms. It’s the fake stuff and the agendas in the largest entrenched companies that are nearly impossible to avoid.

A little “outpost” like here? No real big deal. Google amplifies it a bit for whatever their reasons are, but could make it all disappear equally as fast. All we have to do is tick them off.

Meanwhile the largest user takeover hack in Twitter history was a 17 year old from mom’s basement with a phishing e-mail to one of 1000 people (way too many) that had access to do what he wanted at Twitter. Hilarious if it didn’t expose just how little these giants pay any attention to risk. Piles of money and people and not a single clue what to do with them all.

Vatican. Phishing. Chinese government during negotiations with them. Email disguised as a condolence note about someone who really died.

An entire worldwide Comm system based on completely unsecured logins and unauthenticated users. It’s just... spiffy.

Amazon. Says law enforcement requests to know what people purchase is up three or more fold and it’s thousands and thousands daily. They provide answers 75% of the time. Also buried in that recent testimony.

When I worked in telecom. Permanent wiretapping. Automated judicial requests. Nobody wanted to pay to man that. Add hackers... and this was two decades ago.

All that to say at least here, many of us have actually met some of the others. In person. Might even recognize if one’s account seemed to start saying things way out of character. A few grumps complaining about a clearly bad product isn’t much of a big deal at all compared to the rest of the cesspool. This is the shallow end for sure.

And yes, people say nice things about the companies I work for, too. LOL. It’s mild entertainment to see where the internet stream of BS flows, watching that chat channel. But I still have it muted and barely look at it. For me it might be a canary in a coal mine if we somehow had an outage we weren’t monitoring for. “Is XYZ company down?” That’s about it really. :)

Sir, this is a Wendy's

One thing the video makes clear is that there have been strong reservations about making the first flight from KCNI from the beginning. These concerns have been discussed with Peter many times.

This disproves the ridiculous claims by posters on POA and in comments on Peter's YouTube channel that the issue was 'sprung' on Peter during the latest visit to the airport. Justin and Elliot have been vilified as unprofessional, using the issue to increase their billable time, and similar nonsense.

There are serious issues with the aircraft that weren't fully explored in the Wasabi video. I noticed few times where Justin's audio while in the aircraft was suppressed, likely when he made comments they were unwilling to be made public.

It's also apparent both of them were choosing their words carefully, and were not completely forthcoming regarding the true state of affairs. This is, of course, not unexpected.

I'm not surprised that after they informed Peter of Justin's unwillingness to proceed, he stated he would just perform the first flight instead. In the interest of self preservation, Peter then recanted, no doubt preventing a smoking hole that would mark the spot of his demise.

Last edited:
Isn’t the Raptor an attempt to copy & improve the Velocity XL but pressurized? Everything looks the same from the silhouette to the landing gear:
https://www.velocityaircraft.com/xl

1423619.jpg

[...] This disproves the ridiculous claims by posters on POA and in comments on Peter's YouTube channel that the issue was 'sprung' on Peter during the latest visit to the airport. Justin and Elliot have been vilified as unprofessional, using the issue to increase their billable time, and similar nonsense. [...]

I guess you're referring to what I posted earlier and I have to admit that my impression of them has changed for the better. It indeed appears as whether they are actually trying to eventually fly the thing.

Still, the evaluation of the airport should have happened much earlier. They themselves are saying that they only had a closer look at the surrounding terrain during their last visit, what resulted in telling Peter a firm 'no'. Before that, they had only raised concerns, which Peter indeed didn't want to hear.

This is the part of the video where they start talking about the suitability of the airport, they then tell him about their decision and afterwards debate his reaction:

I still think that many items, with the the location of the airport just one of them, could have been clarified much earlier, saving Peter a lot of time and money.

Frankly, I find it somewhat troubling how apparently quite a few people seem to have a ball hating on Peter, while not accepting any criticism of the Wasabi guys.

Tell me, how is it possible that the Wasabi guys are on one hand so great experts that they are above any criticism, but that they are on the other hand still willing to fly such a deathtrap (according to all the internet experts in this thread)? Isn't this a contradiction?

As a builder, if you engage with a professional test flight program, it would be good to follow their advice. If I am building the aircraft and over a series of months the pilots are telling me the airport is not suitable, then it is not suitable. Drop in the bucket cash wise to move it. The clearly defensive nature of the builder to their thoughts and critiques is highly detrimental to the program.Again, if you are paying professionals to oversee this program, take their advice and get it done. I have no doubt Wasabi will work with him to either get the airplane in the air, or the relationship won't work out and there is no telling what will happen.

Back