My first LAHSO

NealRomeoGolf

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
NRG
....happened today. That's it. Thought I'd share.

Happened at KLAF (Lafayette, IN). No biggie. Sorry I didn't give you a heads up @455 Bravo Uniform . I got some Smokehouse to go.

My first LAHSO was on my first XC after getting my certificate.

Was that around 12p? I was there, heard comms to someone landing 10, Then telling landing traffic on 23 that plane on 10 would LAHS.

Just got my plane back from annual, reorganizing the cockpit, baggage, etc., and going over everything.

Was that around 12p? I was there, heard comms to someone landing 10, Then telling landing traffic on 23 that plane on 10 would LAHS.

Just got my plane back from annual, reorganizing the cockpit, baggage, etc., and going over everything.
That was me.

You’re forgiven this time...
It was last minute. I was at the hangar ready to go for a PnP flight when the first plane called off due to mechanical issues. So I thought about where to fly. I used to live in Lafayette so I called a buddy and see if he wanted to do lunch. The rest is LAHSO history.

CNN is running with it!

“pilot of small plane Crash-lands on runway because he cannot use entire length. Women and children were present in buildings all around the area.”

A lot of LAHSO here when the flying club was a thing. Not only LAHSO, but, "land beyond the short-field arresting gear cable, hold short 13." It was either that, or "Clear to land on the Bravo taxiway south."

whidbey.jpg

CNN is running with it!

“pilot of small plane Crash-lands on runway because he cannot use entire length. Women and children were present in buildings all around the area.”

Forgot to ask if he filed a flight plan... :)

I never knew LAHSO was a big deal when I trained at ABE. They handed them out like candy back then so as a newbie I just took them in stride not knowing any better. Ignorance was bliss.

Yeah. They are not a big deal. You broke the code.
LOL guess I should've added more context. With a later CFI at a different field he was aghast that a student pilot was doing LAHSO's. Acted like I committed murder or something.

LOL guess I should've added more context. With a later CFI at a different field he was aghast that a student pilot was doing LAHSO's. Acted like I committed murder or something.

In the end it’s all about what the student is used to and able to demonstrate competency in.

An old friend chuckles when solo students have strict wind limits by their instructors because for years as a young instructor in Cheyenne, WY... everybody flew in gusty 30 knot winds regularly. :)

At APA the poor students get real good with radio work fast... and “cleared for takeoff, no delay” when waiting number 15 in line for takeoff... with eight doing T&G laps... whereas things are a tad less distracting and sedate at a sleepy county field! :)

You should have shamed the instructor for being a ****. I stand by my statement. You broke the code.

Back