Anyone still buying these?

Does anyone use a traditional flight case?

• No

• Yes

• I've seen someone use one in the past year

• I'm looking to buy a new case for myself

Results are only viewable after voting.
Nice case, but I hate the price.

I have one and used it for years. I mostly used it for an overnight bag to carry 1 change of clothes and extra food when jump seating.

It was a gift from my parents, so it wasn't as cheap as this one.

I think the soft sided bags are now "traditional", as I see more and more use backpacks.

I use an old camera bag. Big enough for POH, sectionals, handheld, pens, light, leather man, fuel tester, small writing pad...

I have one; I keep my oxygen transfilling equipment in it now. (ie it lives in the shop)

Have to say I'm glad the Walmart shopping bag phase has passed.

I think I would like one of those square bags, although mine has to be large enough to accommodate a dispatch folder for rentals. I have a backpack currently and it's not terribly convenient, even with the pockets it has. The biggest downside is that I still have to dig for some of the things and off-load other things in order reach what's on the bottom.

Others suggested to use a run/range bag, or a photo bag. Those are good options, too, and probably you can find a suitable size.

Last edited:
I use it to carry my fancy smart phone along with my E6B:

7d940d34e77dc306f9162d40917d0845.jpg

Bought a cheap nylon flight case on amazon when I started at the regionals in 2016 for my Jepp charts. Somehow, Endeavor was late to the iPad game and we just got them in 2017 or 2018. After we got the iPads I got this bag. I have the older version with slightly different pockets and it doesn’t have the water bottle holder. It fit perfectly in the little cubby right next to me in the cockpit.

https://www.aerocoast.com/aerocoast...ories-organizer-flight-attendant-bag-567.html

Last edited:
I used to have four 2" leather jepp binders (and 1 1" for the j-aid), but I never carried the "catalog case."

My father, who was an attorney had several of those cases back in the day (as he'd carry huge legal briefs on travel. Since airlines and/or airline pilots were often his clients, he was mistaken for a pilot at times.

Some of our old timers still use them. I've seen some creative uses - especially from the drinkers. One guy had a full setup for making frozen margaritas - including a small blender! But I think most guys hang onto them because even modern cockpits still have the cutout that fits them perfectly, and perhaps it reminds them of the good ol' days.

I still have the embossed one "Jack Murdoch" gave me when he got a bigger case. He founded Tektronix. He perished soon after in a Super Cub.

Even though his foundation sponsors the Seattle Museum of flight...........they didn't even want it when offered.

Jack was the Piper distributor for the 11 western states......... Melridge Aviation in Vancouver, WA.

Some of our old timers still use them. I've seen some creative uses - especially from the drinkers. One guy had a full setup for making frozen margaritas - including a small blender! But I think most guys hang onto them because even modern cockpits still have the cutout that fits them perfectly, and perhaps it reminds them of the good ol' days.

That hilarious, especially when read with the Brian Griffith voice.

My flight bag is a Kelty backpack. Seasonal coat, gloves, bug dope, water, protein bars, sat phone, and a 500 magnum.

Attachments

• 402A2FED-F575-41F4-AA5E-617109C90FBD.jpeg
    402A2FED-F575-41F4-AA5E-617109C90FBD.jpeg
    143.5 KB · Views: 26
These folks :
1. Who believe that leaning will destroy the engine
2.uses AV Blend with oil change
3. firmly believes that aircraft is an investment and prices will double every 5-10 years
4. Makes statement about landing gear up : those who have done that and those who will

Back