[rant]I think I had some bad Horsey sauce...[rant]

Sac Arrow

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Snorting his way across the USA
I've always liked Arby's. The hot, thin sliced roast beef was the bomb. But here's the thing - that was back in the day when I still ate buns, and even then, I'm pretty sure I hadn't touched an Arby's in twenty years.

The one thing that I remembered liking about Arby's was the Horsey Sauce. It was a light, creamy horseradish sauce that really complimented the roast beef well. Arby's roast beef + horsey sauce = I could go in to debt eating roast beef sandwiches all day long.

The thing is, I haven't had that stuff in twenty years.

Fast forward to, about, one hour and fifty minutes ago. I didn't have a craving about Arby's, and frankly, there is no Arby's within a ten mile radius. Maybe it's five miles. Okay, made me look. 3.2 miles via surface streets. I actually didn't know there was one that close. But that is here nor there. I had a craving for a burger.
IMG_4822.jpg

Here is the thing though. The Korean Burger Place, which is now presently staffed by two hispanic women and a Vietnamese guy. The latina cook worked there for years. The other latina and the Vietnamese dude worked across the parking lot when the French Vietnamese cafe was still there. I don't know if the Koreans bugged out entirely, or they just own it in the background, but you can still get your bulgogis and your teryakis, and your fried dumplings if you want. The fried dumplings are new.

Here's the thing about Koreans. They like their burgers. That is why in Asia, most places that offer up American style hamburgers are Korean. That is just a side note. Just setting the stage as to why I go to a Korean place for the burgers, when there aren't even Korean girls to ogle. Basically, it's within walking distance. And the burgers are really good.

Back to the Arby's connection. As much as I love the Korean Burger Place, they don't seem to be big on condiments. Back before the Gestapo took over the state and county health departments and you could still eat inside, the best they could offer was squeeze bottles of ketchup and mustard. I do not believe they had a drop of mayo on the premises. Well, technically it would be a glob, not a drip I guess. Now this was an issue before, and while I didn't rant about it, I contemplated using potentially outdated packets of mayo, but instead fell back on the break room stuff in the fridge. Well, that was out a couple days ago. Yesterday I reverted to the packets of mayo still sitting in my desk. Today...

...I resorted to searching the shelf with the hundreds of packets of various condiments donated by those that didn't want them. There was spicy mustard in the fridge and I like spicy mustard, but I thought I might get lucky and dig up some Subway mayo packets. I didn't find any, but I did find....

You got it. Horsey Sauce. Two packets. Like, yay. So I hid them in my desk in the same manner that a bear might secure its half eaten prey. I'm not necessarily saying bears have desks, and if they did that's probably the first place the other bears would look, but, anyway, yeah.

I mean, I probably -could- have just eaten the double bacon cheeseburger, lettuce wrapped, two 1/3 lb flame broiled burger patties, just as it was, but dammit to hell man, I need either mustard or mayo. I anxiously ripped the first pack of Horsey Sauce open and applied it to my burger. Honestly, I did not look as I remembered. I thought the stuff was white, not the color and consistency of thick honey. I was not expecting that. But, again, it's been so long. The second pack was the same, so, maybe that is just how it is. And to be honest with you, it didn't taste anything like I remembered it to taste.

Images of the CDC and poison hotline flashed through my head later, so just for peace of mind, I Googled Horsey Sauce. The images depicted a white sauce with a slight texture, not what could be best described as honey mustard.

So if I'm still here tomorrow, then I guess it was harmless and I'm good to go. I mean cabbage rotting in fish oil is technically edible. Otherwise, you will know what happened to me.

I laughed. I cried. It became a part of me. Waiting for the release of the movie. A story with a true gut punch. :)

So if I'm still here tomorrow, then I guess it was harmless and I'm good to go.
I’ll be keeping tabs on you. If I don’t hear anything from you in 24hrs, I’ll be calling the dogs out.

Dude - I hope you make it ... but honestly, that sauce was made with bad horsies ... like, glue factory rejects!

Buy a bottle of this and keep it in your desk. Or be like me and buy a case because... I go through this stuff. (Or it goes through me... but good that it burns... twice.) Awesome on Chinese quick noodles all by itself. Good on a burger. Good on meatloaf. Good on scrambled eggs. Good on cottage cheese. Just plain... good!

4CC2730D-0EC3-4048-ACA7-DCC24B9E6E64.jpeg

Oh we'll hear from you... and probably smell you. God speed.

You still eat too much junk food, you damn mutie. Where's Sentinel Services when you need them?

920x920.jpg

Buy a bottle of this and keep it in your desk. Or be like me and buy a case because... I go through this stuff. (Or it goes through me... but good that it burns... twice.) Awesome on Chinese quick noodles all by itself. Good on a burger. Good on meatloaf. Good on scrambled eggs. Good on cottage cheese. Just plain... good!

View attachment 88595

And it's made right here in the good ol' USA.!!!

(at least it started life in Vietnam)

View attachment 88595

Yeah, I like that stuff, not really so much on burgers though. Although squeeze bottle Sriracha is my go to chili sauce.

Sac, did you wake up this morning? Time to check in.
Coming here to ask the same...

View attachment 88600
Where's the Sac? Did he survive it?

Ugh, here.

View attachment 88595
That stuff is my new fav. I like it much better than their sirachi sauce.

That stuff is my new fav. I like it much better than their sirachi sauce.

Tuong ot toi Vietnam means Vietnamese garlic chili (literally 'hot') sauce. But like Sriracha, I don't think it's actually made in Vietnam.

Karmic response for giving your digits to the Habit burger chick.

Tuong ot toi Vietnam means Vietnamese garlic chili (literally 'hot') sauce. But like Sriracha, I don't think it's actually made in Vietnam.
I think sambal oelek is either Thailand or Indonesia.

I think you are right.
DCA51B0A-9B26-4A75-B53B-23D3A913B359.jpeg

Looks like the Rooster Sauce people are still in Irwindale, CA.

They had a big problem with their neighbors a few years ago because of the odor when then they processed the peppers.
Then they got into suit with the growers of the peppers.

Mighta been the onions, just saying, salmonella onions going around I hear.

That would be correct according to his story. Said the family escaped Vietnam in 1975 due to not liking the new government.

The Southern Vietnamese people were never on board with the concept of a North Vietnamese led government to begin with, communist or not. That is why Vietnam was split in to two countries in 1954 after the French defeat at Bien Dinh Phu. Ho Chi Minh and his Viet Minh forces were prepared to deal with a few thousand angry French, but not a few million angry South Vietnamese at the time.

Hardest hit were the ethic Chinese, mostly living in Saigon, who were treated as second class citizens by the new government. Many of the Vietnamese refugees that came to the US are actually ethnic Chinese.

It's interesting to hear the Vietnamese government's account of the war. Officially, as taught in the schools, the American war was a coordinated effort between the North and the South Vietnamese to rid the American invaders. They don't even acknowledge the existence of ARVN forces, chalking them up to a small number of American sympathizers.

The Southern Vietnamese people were never on board with the concept of a North Vietnamese led government to begin with, communist or not. That is why Vietnam was split in to two countries in 1954 after the French defeat at Bien Dinh Phu. Ho Chi Minh and his Viet Minh forces were prepared to deal with a few thousand angry French, but not a few million angry South Vietnamese at the time.

Hardest hit were the ethic Chinese, mostly living in Saigon, who were treated as second class citizens by the new government. Many of the Vietnamese refugees that came to the US are actually ethnic Chinese.

It's interesting to hear the Vietnamese government's account of the war. Officially, as taught in the schools, the American war was a coordinated effort between the North and the South Vietnamese to rid the American invaders. They don't even acknowledge the existence of ARVN forces, chalking them up to a small number of American sympathizers.

The one time I went to Vietnam on business it was to Hanoi, so I haven't experienced the Saigon (even the people in the southern part of the country apparently still call it that) area. I skipped the tourist sites in Hanoi. My wife and I are old enough to remember the war (I graduated from college in 1975 and was in ROTC) and she was not enthused about my having meetings in Hanoi. I will say that in 2007 it was a friendly place to Americans and it was cheap by our standards. The meter on the taxi in from the airport to the hotel was going nuts. 160,000 Dong was the bill. Sounds terrible until you remember that the exchange rate at the time was 16,000 Dong to the dollar. $10 for the cab ride, and it wasn't just a hop, skip and a jump.

The one time I went to Vietnam on business it was to Hanoi, so I haven't experienced the Saigon (even the people in the southern part of the country apparently still call it that) area. I skipped the tourist sites in Hanoi. My wife and I are old enough to remember the war (I graduated from college in 1975 and was in ROTC) and she was not enthused about my having meetings in Hanoi. I will say that in 2007 it was a friendly place to Americans and it was cheap by our standards. The meter on the taxi in from the airport to the hotel was going nuts. 160,000 Dong was the bill. Sounds terrible until you remember that the exchange rate at the time was 16,000 Dong to the dollar. $10 for the cab ride, and it wasn't just a hop, skip and a jump.

It's currently around VND 20,000/USD. Our Vietnam office is in Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon) and that is where I spend the most of my time when I am there. Last time however, I spent six weeks in Northern Vietnam in a couple cities about 60 klicks from Hanoi. Funny thing is, English is widely spoken in most place in Southern Vietnam. Not so much in Northern Vietnam outside of the major cities like Hanoi and Haiphong. I was on a project with a Vietnamese engineer that spoke a little English, and a Vietnamese mechanic that spoke no English. Nobody in either city spoke English, so I had to do pretty much everything in Vietnamese. I'm not conversational, but I know enough to be able to get around in that environment.

There was one hole in the wall, run down restaurant in City #2 that is famous, and senior party officials from Hanoi will drive down there to eat. The woman that owns it had never met an American before, and I was the first Westerner she had seen since the French left in 1954.

View attachment 88595

I put Sambal Oelek on everything.

I just want to visit somewhere where I can say I paid for everything in Dong.

Because why bother to grow up. It’s not nearly as fun.

Back