Country living

Nice! Coeur d’Alene or Sandpoint are near the top of our list of retirement destinations in a few years. I’m originally from (southern) Idaho, and have been wanting to get back out that way ever since. Gorgeous country!

I remember when Burt Rutan announced his retirement to Coeur d’Alene, I thought why the heck is he moving there? Once I researched that area online, I realized what the big deal is. Just a beautiful area and looks like plenty to do in retirement activities. Little bit outside my budget though.

I remember when Burt Rutan announced his retirement to Coeur d’Alene, I thought why the heck is he moving there? Once I researched that area online, I realized what the big deal is. Just a beautiful area and looks like plenty to do in retirement activities. Little bit outside my budget though.

Burt told me he moved because dying in Mojave would be redundant.

I moved from a semi-rural area in Colorado (about an hour from Denver) to San Francisco. I didn't think there would be enough things to do out there after I stopped working, without a long drive. I still think that would have been the case. There are many things I can do here that I couldn't do there, interestingly outdoor things, even before Covid. That said, the City has a lot of problems. One good thing about now is that there are fewer people! Besides, I live in a more mellow area, not a trendy or troubled one.
I visited friends in the City regularly and until Covid hit enjoyed getting together as a group (mostly pilots) for Sunday brunch at Catch on Market St. every couple of weeks. With the pandemic raging we're doing our visits virtually over Zoom, but I'm eagerly looking forward to getting back to our in-person brunches when we get this monster under control.

That's about where we stand. This was a good place to raise the kids, and the sprawl didn't catch up until they were grown. My youngest moved out a couple of years ago. I'm planning to retire in a few months, so there won't be much anchoring us here. It might be two or three years before we move, but when we do we'll try to get a few acres in horse country.

I have a Downs daughter who lives in an independent living facility in Lakeland, so we'll want to stay within about a 2 hour drive of her just in case some need arises. Likely we'll look for something west of Ocala.

For us it's far enough out into the future that I don't feel like we need to think about it too much. The situation will dictate what we decide to do. Maybe we'll have grandkids we want to be closer to, maybe our kids will raise our grandkids someplace we have no desire to live and we'll just ride our motorcycles or drive our RV out to visit them. Maybe we'll go full-timing in an RV or maybe we'll live on a boat. Lots of things on the bucket list that are unlikely to happen before retirement that are worth looking forward to and would be feasible then, and the acres ma become less something we want to deal with. Our maybe the kids will stay in the KC area and want to build houses on other parts of the property - with 11 acres we've got room for more than one.

Lots of options. Personally, I would really like to live on a boat for at least some period of time around retirement, but my various road-going vehicular projects aren't conducive to that.

Well, lonely rural areas are good places for drug deals and to dump a body occasionally. There have been a few murders over the years, and once the cops found a human torso (just the torso) in a nearby pasture. Then there was the time three men held up a convenience store and murdered the clerk, then abandoned their vehicle and took off on foot through the groves. They tried to hide in a neighbor's barn that night and we had a helicopter circling with a search light while sheriff's deputies searched the area at 1 a.m.

But at least out here, if the deputies have to start shooting at someone they don't mind too much if we join in. :)

A few months back, closer to the beginning of this whole thing, our next door neighbor (who I'd not met before - out here that's not uncommon) came walking down the driveway. You have to understand, that's about a half mile walk total, so you really just don't see people walking down the road here. Ever. Started rambling on about how some Russian hackers had taken over his phone, computer, and truck, and he had to tell people but because they'd taken over his truck he had to walk instead of drive.

The fellow looked to be retirement age, probably somewhere in the 65-70 realm. It was hard to tell whether he was on meth or just senile.

Around that time I saw a couple of older folks that looked to be from the row of cheap houses at the end of the street walking north towards said odd fellow's house, and saw the cops pull over someone outside of my house (with 3 cop cars, no less), which again, very odd and first time in the 5 years we've lived here. Occasionally a police car or fire truck has raced by with the sirens on but that's rare.

Who knows.

Our town is dying (at least it feels that way) so I guess in 15 years I will be in the country instead of in the city! :eek::oops:

I'm not sure if "like" is the right reaction, but Xenforo hasn't caught up with Facebook in terms of reactions.

But that poses an interesting question. I don't think I've seen anyplace where a shrinking urban landscape actually gets converted back into the country, even though it would theoretically be possible.

I love living in the country, on an airport, with wildlife around, but within an hour of a largish city. It sucks at times because everything is at least 20 minutes away, and sometimes the neighbors (2 miles away) go a little nuts with the "private gun range", but it's well worth it. Wouldn't do it any different if I could choose again.

But that poses an interesting question. I don't think I've seen anyplace where a shrinking urban landscape actually gets converted back into the country, even though it would theoretically be possible.[/QUOTE]

Detroit? I heard that they are doing something like that there.

I visited friends in the City regularly and until Covid hit enjoyed getting together as a group (mostly pilots) for Sunday brunch at Catch on Market St. every couple of weeks. With the pandemic raging we're doing our visits virtually over Zoom, but I'm eagerly looking forward to getting back to our in-person brunches when we get this monster under control.

I lived in Berkeley with my partner (worked in SF) for a bit and damn if SF does not have a good brunch scene. Cambridge has a few decent spots, but I found SF did it way better. Lots of things I miss about SF (and some I don't) and the culinary scene is definitely one of them!

Grew up in rural-ish NJ (it exists believe it or not) and it was fun as a kid and a good place to grow up, but I left as soon as I could for university in a city. Can't really see myself moving out of the city for the country until i'm old, but if I do it's a mountain cabin somewhere. Suburbs == death! :p

We had a helicopter circling with a search light while sheriff's deputies searched the area at 1 a.m. :)

We call that Tuesday here in the Baltimore suburbs :D Can't wait to live back out in the country here in less than 3 years.

Well, lonely rural areas are good places for drug deals and to dump a body occasionally. There have been a few murders over the years, and once the cops found a human torso (just the torso) in a nearby pasture. Then there was the time three men held up a convenience store and murdered the clerk, then abandoned their vehicle and took off on foot through the groves. They tried to hide in a neighbor's barn that night and we had a helicopter circling with a search light while sheriff's deputies searched the area at 1 a.m.

But at least out here, if the deputies have to start shooting at someone they don't mind too much if we join in. :)

Unfortunately the drug scene and everything that accompanies it is everywhere, from major city to middle of nowhere. I'm afraid there is no escaping it. The only fortunate part is, for the most part, if you aren't part of that world, it doesn't normally affect you. There is drug centered crime here, but at least the violent crime usually consists of suspect and victim that were involved in something. I've lived near big cities where the crime was much more random, and innocents were getting gunned down just for being in the wrong place or looking the wrong way.

Now that's good eatin'

Nah, no hunting allowed. It’s created an over population problem. That and the fact everyone keeps feeding them corn doesn’t help.

I lived in Berkeley with my partner (worked in SF) for a bit and damn if SF does not have a good brunch scene. Cambridge has a few decent spots, but I found SF did it way better. Lots of things I miss about SF (and some I don't) and the culinary scene is definitely one of them!

Grew up in rural-ish NJ (it exists believe it or not) and it was fun as a kid and a good place to grow up, but I left as soon as I could for university in a city. Can't really see myself moving out of the city for the country until i'm old, but if I do it's a mountain cabin somewhere. Suburbs == death! :p
I moved to S.F. in 1972 and until the last five or ten years loved the social scene, the symphony, ballet, clubbing, dinner a couple of times a week with friends and coworkers, etc. I've been retired since 2003, and at 78 I'm just ready for living at a slower, quieter pace. My partner and I are in a 55-and-older active adult community with two 18-hole golf courses, tennis courts, two olympic swimming pools, well equipped gyms, and lots of low volume slow traffic roads for bicycling. So far, we love it and our ten year old golden retriever loves it. The City is an hour away, so it's not like we're too far out in the boondocks.

I guess the cars keep the herd at a manageable level?

They don’t get hit often. Maybe seen one dead fawn this year that got hit. The speed limit in my neighborhood is only 25 mph and the deer are usually smart enough to not run out in front of cars.

These dudes were right off the road last month just standing there eating. They’ve gotten used to cars and people.

81538613-03EB-4541-A082-D1453E02829C.jpeg

Unfortunately the drug scene and everything that accompanies it is everywhere, from major city to middle of nowhere. I'm afraid there is no escaping it. The only fortunate part is, for the most part, if you aren't part of that world, it doesn't normally affect you. There is drug centered crime here, but at least the violent crime usually consists of suspect and victim that were involved in something. I've lived near big cities where the crime was much more random, and innocents were getting gunned down just for being in the wrong place or looking the wrong way.

I agree there. The drug scene is everywhere, but if you aren't part of it then it's mostly under wraps and you can largely ignore it. Certainly there were plenty of places where it looked more obvious to me than others, especially in Ohio.

My potential meth-head neighbor is the first encounter I've had here that has given me serious consideration here in Kansas.

... and innocents were getting gunned down just for being in the wrong place or looking the wrong way.

Around here, the innocents are very well armed. For the most part, if you're not involved you're pretty safe, but there have been some tragic exceptions.

I’ve repeatedly told folks from “the city” not to walk up anyone’s driveway unannounced, especially at night, for fear of being fired at. Meth cookers are not sociable, and decent folks are tending toward the paranoid. Unfortunately.

I’ve repeatedly told folks from “the city” not to walk up anyone’s driveway unannounced, especially at night, for fear of being fired at. Meth cookers are not sociable, and decent folks are tending toward the paranoid. Unfortunately.

About a year ago a big city lady dropped off a dog (driving a Land Rover) at my house at night. This was planned as it was for a dog flight, but she mistakenly drove up the neighbors driveway first.

Nothing bad happened, but I educated her that it was a good idea to make sure she knew which driveway she was going down when in an area like this. Said neighbor was the same one who I know now to have either been on some meth trip or otherwise kinda crazy, which leaves me further relieved that nothing bad has happened to her.

Bought a small farm a couple elections ago and moved out of the city. My wife and I were both country/small town kids growing up, and couldn't stand the city folks and lifestyle anymore. We needed to teach our daughters things that we couldn't teach them in town. We have created an almost 100% self reliant homestead that has been an absolute joy to do as a family. My daughters have learned how to hunt, fish, skin and process deer, raise hogs, chickens, and beef. They know how to bale hay, operate a tractor and drive a manual transmission. They have learned gardening, canning, and cooking from my wife. They have learned the lost concepts of hard work, self reliance, and pride on a job well done. Our whole family has grown closer and strong over the last 10 years, and everyone likes to come home to "the farm". I will never give up a moonless country sky of stars for the lights of the city ever again...it is my happy place.

Another thing about the rural life. Lots of people seem to dump animals on the dirt road that runs behind our place. We’ve rescued countless abandoned dogs and kittens over the years and found them homes. Our two barn cats were kittens that someone dumped.

I have no tolerance for people who will simply abandon a trusting pet. If you don’t want it or can’t keep it, find it a home or at least have the courage to put it down. Leaving a litter of kittens or puppies to be coyote food is disgustingly cruel.

Lots of people seem to dump animals on the dirt road that runs behind our place.

I get that a few times a year. We lost one cat about 5-6 months ago to coyotes before I could find it a home. It was obviously an indoor cat and had no idea about outside living.

Our current dog and cat were dumped on our property. They have made wonderful pets.

Around 7 years ago a good looking and obviously well taken care of dog showed up on my property. I could see that it had been wearing a collar but it was gone. I took it to the vet to see if it had a chip in it, and it did. A quick call and the owners came by in minutes to retrieve their dog. Seems as if they are feuding with the neighbors and the neighbors decided to get rid of the dog.

I have developed a shoot first and ask questions later attitude for people driving up the front driveway at night. I finally closed off the front drive and had to put NO TRESPASSING signs around the fence. People were starting to have picnics on my property just inside the front gate. And leaving their trash behind. With miles and miles of public land around, folks choose to use my private property for their play ground. And I only have 2.76 acres.!!

Hopefully I will be moving to Wyoming this fall. I have resigned myself to living in a (horrors of all horrors) apartment for 6 months. I have found a suitable place on the edge of town. A 2 bed, 2 bath 1379 sq. feet apartment, with W/D, accepts pets, covered parking and a fireplace for less than the monthly mortgage will be for a house. It will be interesting.

I have no tolerance for people who will simply abandon a trusting pet.

I am right there with you on this.

Wow, city folks "protecting" the cute deer. Meanwhile the over population kills them off through starvation and disease. They are long legged rodents and need to be controlled. Bonus they are edible.

Forest rats are what I call them. They love to eat my wife's flowers. I live in an unincorporated part of the county where discharging firearms is legal. It is, however, the classic example of knowing that what is legal isn't necessarily smart or safe. The neighbors would rightly come unglued if I started shooting. I would too. 10,000 to 12,000 square foot lots. And most of the forest rats are female, so even during deer season they are off limits. So we just try to chase them off (good luck with that) or remember to put out the deer repellent spray.

I miss two things about living in town:

reliable fast internet

Food delivery.

That's it, everything else is as good or better.

Ditto minus the food delivery. LOL.

I’ve been doing some WFH that requires very large downloads. I realized this week that downloading the files to the office computer remotely then driving up to get the whole machine and back was six hours faster than the home download, so off I went. Ha.

(The remote machine was having problems and needed to be brought home for troubleshooting anyway.)

His hangar is just two up from the one I rent. I’ve seen him around a time or two but have not actually met him. Yeah prices have climbed and it seems particularly so recently with this surge of people trying to move out of large metro areas because of COVID-19. And with large companies like Microsoft, Google and others developing plans to have a significant percentage of their workers work from home, well paying jobs and rural living may not be the oxy-moron it once was. We seeing a lot of remote workers moving into Kootenai County without paying the inevitable wilderness tax.

56 miles to the nearest Walmart.
Riots? What riots?
Look up in the sky, what are those things?
Why they're stars, and that big bright band of stars is the Milky Way.

Nearest wal-mart is in a Foreign country.(can't go there, border closed ) Next is 120 miles away.
Nearest Golf course is also in Foreign country .
Post office is a 10 mile one way drive.
No electricity till 1948, phones till 1956 . Still haul water to flush ,drink,bath in winter months .
Not moving in foreseeable future till the undertaker packs me out.
The view out my front window just now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 32
Back