Skycraft wing landing light bulb replacement

Tokirbymd

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Tokirbymd
I have an LED landing light under the prop on my PA32. However a previous owner installed the Skycraft wing landing lights on each wing- these have separate R/L switch for each and use 100W GE 4509 bulbs. I am wanting to replace the bulbs with LED for lower current draw. Whelen makes a GE4509 drop in replacement in both taxi/wide width (P36P1T) and landing/narrow width (P36P1L). Would it be reasonable to put the landing/narrow width in one side (pilot side for example) and taxi/wider width on the other? There is a separate switch for each side and these are also separate from landing light switch on the side switch panel as well. My thought is the additional wing landing lights aren't required and only add additional illumination and adding one on the left in addition to the main landing light would give some benefit, while having broader taxi width on the other side would improve taxi lighting.

Would it be reasonable to put the landing/narrow width in one side (pilot side for example) and taxi/wider width on the other?
FWIW: provided you can physically re-aim the focal point of taxi light bulb mount to an appropriate angle, it should work from an operational standpoint. However, regardless if the lights are required or not, the Skycraft lights are installed via an STC and the LEDs would technically alter that STC. So whether that would present an issue for you in the future would depend on who maintains/inspects your aircraft.

Another consideration would be whether the taxi version would interfere with the pilot/cockpit darkness (night vision, temp blinding, etc). You could always swap in an incandescent or cheap LED taxi light just to do a hangar test. Probably not exactly the same beam width, but gives you an idea.

Back