Jordan, MT Engine Failure

Hunt-man

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Hunt-man
Hi all,

My friend was flying his Lancair ES today and blew a cylinder at 11,500 heading East. He hit nearest on the GPS and managed to glide to Jordan, MT (JDN) for a landing on the numbers... whew! The folks in Jordan MT have been super nice and helpful but the airport has NO services. He and his wife found a ride to Billings tomorrow, Friday, to catch a commercial flight.

He needs a mechanic to see if maybe a cylinder replacement will fix it but most likely needs an engine removal and shipped for rebuild. I think it is a IO-550 but I may be wrong.

Any suggestions? Billings is a 2:45 minute drive. Lewiston, MT is a 2 hour drive. A few other closer airports but I don't see any mechanics. Any ideas? It is a 4 hour flight from my home, KUAO.

Flat-bed?

Pull the motor and drive it somewhere?

Good job on the landing though! Whew!!

I was at an airport a few years ago, with a ‘no-go’ issue. I paid a mechanic to do a road trip from an airport about an hours drive away, he got me going.

I think your friend has to do the same, magnified. 1st I’d be thankful all went well with the engine out, secondary, no bent metal.

He’ll need some level of trucking a mechanic in, who’s briefed & ready for the task. Maybe he can go on site to monitor & assist?

I think I've found a mechanic in Circle MT....
Only an hour away.
Edit: My buddy also found a mechanic in Jordan that works on Ag planes..
Either way, he's got options.

Last edited:
Back