So do I need a new AOPA hat?

Out of all the bonus prizes, which one is the best?

The small flight bag has really served me well. Best gift so far without a doubt. I would renew if that is the offering this time ...

Today's offer was a powerbank charger and some free workshop things. That might do it....

I forgot to include that power bank charger in my list of gifts that I have received over the years. I use it and it works fairly well. I still think the small flight bag I received years ago was the best one yet ...

It would take an indication that their attitude toward the membership has changed rather than the bribes of tiny trinkets to get me back. I'd really wish they'd stop following the NRA marketing methodology.

It would take an indication that their attitude toward the membership has changed rather than the bribes of tiny trinkets to get me back. I'd really wish they'd stop following the NRA marketing methodology.
You think they're bad, you should try to quit the NFIB. They actually send a guy to your house if you ignore the phone calls.

I've heard that the ACLU is bad, too.
Actually, the ACLU quietly went away when I stopped paying them. The downside, is I'm fairly sure they sold my name to a bunch of other sucker charities, which is why I stopped supporting them.

Giving to Habitat For Humanity resulted in the same nonsense. I got letters from every other Jimmy Carter-related charity after I was stupid enough to give them something.

Well, I joined last year. Mostly to go to a Rusty Pilot seminar for free... A wash, dollar-wise, but I get a magazine for free.

They also sent me a hat... It says PILOT on it, and I think there's an airplane on the patch, too.

I won't wear the hat.

Around here (the world headquarters of Pilot-FlyingJ truck stops and travel centers) folks would just think I was a truck driver or convenience store clerk.

That's okay. I'll probably remain a member. After all, AOPA helped make Basic Med happen, and that'll keep me flying longer.

I prefer baseball caps over trucker hats anyway... If I wear one at all.

I know, I know..TLDR...

deal wid it!

Today's actions by NY's attorney general against the NRA should have AOPA shaking in its boots. Same song, different verse.

Serve oneself first...members...eh...they're just the means by which to do so.

bastages...all of 'em.

Today's actions by NY's attorney general against the NRA should have AOPA shaking in its boots. Same song, different verse.

Serve oneself first...members...eh...they're just the means by which to do so.

bastages...all of 'em.

AOPA isn't trying to hide it. As I posted above, $15 of your dues goes to 9 executives.

AARP takes all of the above tactics and adds preying on elderly people to their bag of tricks.

AARP takes all of the above tactics and adds preying on elderly people to their bag of tricks.

I started getting requests to join about the time I turned 50 (that was a loooong time ago). Never responded to any of them and I've noticed that I don't hear from them anymore. Works for me.

So why not take down AARP, too. If the AG is successful, you will see a rush to bring down every conceivable nonprofit.

I have made back my AARP membership many years just on the discounts involved. Margy got really annoyed when I signed her up just in advance of her 50th birthday (she's a year older than me) so I could qualify as being the spouse of a member.

So why not take down AARP, too. If the AG is successful, you will see a rush to bring down every conceivable nonprofit.
I believe you're commingling two different discussions/statements above.

I started getting AARP mailings a couple days after I turned 16. Maybe a few years premature? ;) I think they finally figured out I wasn't turning 50 for another 20+ years this year.

That won’t happen. This is a targeted, political move on NY’s part. They won’t bother other organizations.
That may be, but IF NY is successful this well set precedent - and that precedent will be used against other membership organizations that a particular AG dislikes, ranging from something as small as the AOPA to something as large as a labor union.

And with that, I'll leave it so it doesn't turn political.

Back