Question for the Controllers....

Whatever.... agree can’t land.
I give up .
I think it’s all situational. Am I going down to cat3 mins or is it CAVU. How complex is the missed procedure? I think that’s why there is no guidance. It’s one of the times we get to earn the pay and do what we think is best rather than what the FAA/company guidance tells us to do.

If it’s bad weather and the missed is a complex PIA I’ll probably be bugging the hell out of tower for that landing clearance early and if they are slow to respond I’m probably leaning towards an early go around so it’s less risk. If it’s CAVU, not busy airspace and the missed is straight out to traffic pattern then I’ll let it ride longer. If it’s really busy on a VMC day in Atlanta perhaps I land with light gun signals.

I understand your question. I think the reason there is no answer is because There isn’t one. Every approach is different and the right answer to this question changes as well.

to summarize. How low can I go without a landing clearance and when would atc expect a go around if I don’t have one: as low as you think it’s safe and prudent to the operational situation, go around is expected when you think it’s appropriate to ensure the safety of the flight operation.

That’s my take on it. It’s worth about what it cost you.

Don’t put yourself in that situation. If you’re on short final and don’t remember hearing it, ask. Now you never have to figure out what you can and cannot do.

Don’t put yourself in that situation. If you’re on short final and don’t remember hearing it, ask. Now you never have to figure out what you can and cannot do.
That is EXACTLY what I have been a proponent of during the entire thread.

But, too be clear... on a CAT 2 or 3 approach, there is a lot going on. Asking for landing clearance is, well, not good.

But, too be clear... on a CAT 2 or 3 approach, there is a lot going on. Asking for landing clearance is, well, not good.
Then go missed

This is an issue between you and your Chief Pilot. I don't want another rule tying my hands. If you want one in your ops manual go for it.

This sounds like an issue for your Chief Pilot. If you want another rule for your approaches it belongs in your Ops Manual not FAA Regs. You may want to keep in mind that every rule written is a rule that can be broken. Every rule broken is bad for pilots. Good for lawyers though:D.

For lower-than-standard approaches I'd incorporate the landing clearance into the last reject gate of my company's stabilized approach criteria. In my case, 500'. That is also where I'm verifying that the autoflight system's FLARE mode is armed. There's too much going on under that to have the distraction of waiting for a landing clearance. For a CAT I approach, still in IMC, maybe a little lower. 300'? In any case, unless I've been told to expect a late landing clearance, I'm asking for clearance by 1000'.

No right or wrong answers here. Do something reasonable.

Back