Best places to go airplane camping?

asmith2023

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Peaches
Looking for some good spots to airplane camp, doesn’t matter where.

https://theraf.org/
There's a link to many many lovely Backcountry strips throughout the US that permit camping.

Local to me, North Fox island 6Y3
Two Hearted airstrip 6Y5
Pritchet Grooms 6Y9

What plane do you have?

https://theraf.org/
There's a link to many many lovely Backcountry strips throughout the US that permit camping.

Local to me, North Fox island 6Y3
Two Hearted airstrip 6Y5
Pritchet Grooms 6Y9

What plane do you have?
Thank you, I am currently a student pilot still in high school so I do not own a plane, but I’m about to get my license so I was planning on renting one.

Thank you, I am currently a student pilot still in high school so I do not own a plane, but I’m about to get my license so I was planning on renting one.
Check with the flight schools about grass landings. That's one of the big reasons I bought a plane is no one would let me take their planes on grass... Even if the grass runways were nicer than asphalt ones.

Check with the flight schools about grass landings. That's one of the big reasons I bought a plane is no one would let me take their planes on grass... Even if the grass runways were nicer than asphalt ones.
Will do. Thanks.

Lots in Idaho if you want to come that far. In mid- Idaho Johnson Creek (3U2) is by far the easiest and best for low time pilots. In north Idaho, Cavanaugh Bay (66S) is on the shores of Priest Lake is another favorite. In Washington, Ranger Creek (21W) and Tieton State (4S6) are pretty good. All of these strips are grass/turf except Ranger Creek. Johnson Creek and Cavanaugh Bay are very wide and around 3100’ long.

My faves over the years:

Kern Valley, CA
Payson, AZ
Quesnell, British Columbia
Oceano, CA
Benchmark, MT
Arcadia, FL
Orcas Island, WA
Columbia, CA

These are all *paved* runways, and have some kind of clear “camping area” on the field. Some even have facilities such as fire pits or restroom or even a shower.

as others have said, if you’re willing to go grass or gravel, then many many more possibilities open...

Before the overnight camping, scope out those $200 lunch stops within an hour of the home base. Didn’t see a general location, that may help.

Don’t be trying to shoehorn into a tight ‘camping’ strip just after you get your license. Stay the course with training completion.

Back