PA28-180 Make Emergency Landing in Northern Maine

Another successful off airport emergency landing that some posters would insist was a crash.

Another successful off airport emergency landing that some posters would insist was a crash.
Given the big crease I see in the nose of the thing, not to mention the damage to the wingtip, I would call this a crash. A landing doesn't permanently damage the airplane. I doubt that poor thing will ever fly again. Folks can walk away from a crash.

Crash? I dunno. It'll be labelled as an accident in the database. But when a student is doing T&G's and ends up gooching one and collapses the nose gear, we call that a landing accident, not a crash. Why should it be any different just because it didn't happen a runway?

Looks like the pilot did a good job, for engine out. The terrain did the damage.

Looked at a satellite image of the area and it is all forestry and logging operations. Not many places to put an airplane. Looks like he put it in a clear cut area which has a lot of short stumps from the logging operations.

Crash? I dunno. It'll be labelled as an accident in the database. But when a student is doing T&G's and ends up gooching one and collapses the nose gear, we call that a landing accident, not a crash. Why should it be any different just because it didn't happen a runway?

the FAA/NTSB definition between incident and accident is (in part) did it damage the primary structure of the aircraft. Nose wheel collapse could be either. When I had Main landing Gear collapse on a Champ the FAA inspector came out and looked at it. Literally the only thing he was interested in is if it bent the longeron tube of the fuselage. It did not so it was labeled as an Incident.

Brian
CFIIG/ASel

Visible engine damage? Fuel in the selected tank? Glad they made it.

Using a different dictionary since you didn’t like the last one.

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us/dictionary/english/crash
A crash is an accident in which a moving vehicle hits something and is damaged or destroyed.

As it doesn’t appear the pilot intended to do this damage, then calling it a crash is appropriate in the English language.

I understand the point you are making, but it’s still a crash. A crash does not imply any fault in the pilot.

Probably split the difference and call it a crash landing. Still implies a significant degree of skill from the pilot to prevent loss of life.

Back