For the sake of economy

I expect that meetings that were cancelled this year will happen next year (assuming this COVID-19 stuff gets under control). I've had 3 trips to Europe cancelled this year, plus vacations to Mexico and Hawaii. I was supposed to be in Reno last week for the IEEE International Symposium on EMC/SIPI, but that got converted to an on-line event. Nothing on the calendar now until the middle of October when we are supposed to spend a week near Cancun (we'll see if that actually happens) and then late January when we fly to Hawaii for 5 weeks (again, we'll see if that actually happens). The Europe trip equivalents haven't been scheduled yet, so who knows where and when those will be. Mexico next year? Who knows. I hope so.

I have cancelled a family trip to Europe this year. I had four domestic business trips, and six work remote weeks planned in other locations in the USA. Not one of these trips will be rescheduled. This economic activity will not be "made up". Same for restaurants.

Tim

I expect that meetings that were cancelled this year will happen next year (assuming this COVID-19 stuff gets under control). I've had 3 trips to Europe cancelled this year, plus vacations to Mexico and Hawaii. I was supposed to be in Reno last week for the IEEE International Symposium on EMC/SIPI, but that got converted to an on-line event. Nothing on th e I hope so.

I have cancelled a family trip to Europe this year. I had four domestic business trips, and six work remote weeks planned in other locations in the USA. Not one of these trips will be rescheduled. This economic activity will not be "made up". Same for restaurants.

Tim
I expect you are both right. Some will be made up, some won't. But when the Virus is contained, the American people, and the people of the world, will go back to work at "something". Things may be different, but people don't change that quickly.

At my wife’s insistence ( and so she’d quit looking at old LR Defenders (like we need two.?)) I put down a deposit on a 2021 Ford Bronco.

I expect you are both right. Some will be made up, some won't. But when the Virus is contained, the American people, and the people of the world, will go back to work at "something". Things may be different, but people don't change that quickly.

I may have made some misunderstand. When I say meetings will be made up, I don't mean meetings from this year. I'm talking about the equivalents next year. IEC requires that the technical committees and subcommittees meet at least every other year. CISPR and its subcommittees typically meet annually and the maintenance teams meet additionally in between. Missing this year was OK, next year will require permission. Then there are the ACEC meetings (Advisory Committee on EMC, one of the ACs that advise the Standards Management Board - SMB - the board that is in overall charge of standards writing in the IEC) that occur 2 or 3 times a year. We met in the DC area in January, were supposed to meet in Helsinki the beginning of June and who knows where and when after that. We'll just pick up where we left off on that one, eventually.

I may have made some misunderstand. When I say meetings will be made up, I don't mean meetings from this year. I'm talking about the equivalents next year.

Most of the big tech meetups switched from saying “next year” to quietly changing those to “all online in 2021” in the last couple of weeks.

I believe CES announced yesterday or the day before if the one tech news videocast I watched isn’t too delayed on their tech news... as one example. They shoot their video a few days before release.

What’s your furlough plan?
I’m moving back into my parents’ house next month and took a job with Hertz as a car transporter. I’ve applied to a few jobs that pay a little more but haven’t heard anything back. I can’t even get my CFI job back. The school is busy but they are overstaffed with CFIs since no one is leaving for the airlines. I was lucky enough to get my resume walked into a 135 company but they’re not sure if they’ll take me. The director of training called and said he’d want a minimum 2 year commitment but has to run it by his boss. If nothing happens with it, I’ll just not fly for a few years. It honestly could be a lot worse. No kids, no mortgage, only 1 mouth to feed, no debt, no car payments, and I have the option to move back home. I haven’t been stressing too much. Why stress what’s out my control? It is what it is. All other things aside, I’m pretty blessed to be in my position.

... I’ll just not fly for a few years.

Definitely don’t do that. That turns into eight years real fast. BTDT. :)

Also keep applying. Tons give up saying “there’s 10,000 other people applying” and wait — but there’s still *someone* hired from that pile and the networking is invaluable.

Was just talking to someone who has been talking to the folks working through the pile at FedEx. They’re cranking through their backlog rapidly right now snagging every pilot they truly want from it. Interviewing is difficult right now but they haven’t stopped!

Long shots are better than no shots I guess. Hang in man.

I’m moving back into my parents’ house next month and took a job with Hertz as a car transporter. I’ve applied to a few jobs that pay a little more but haven’t heard anything back. I can’t even get my CFI job back. The school is busy but they are overstaffed with CFIs since no one is leaving for the airlines. I was lucky enough to get my resume walked into a 135 company but they’re not sure if they’ll take me. The director of training called and said he’d want a minimum 2 year commitment but has to run it by his boss. If nothing happens with it, I’ll just not fly for a few years. It honestly could be a lot worse. No kids, no mortgage, only 1 mouth to feed, no debt, no car payments, and I have the option to move back home. I haven’t been stressing too much. Why stress what’s out my control? It is what it is. All other things aside, I’m pretty blessed to be in my position.
Paying gig to fly to Idaho is still open. :)

I’m glad you’re finding a soft landing. The last time this happened I was a deputy sheriff for a couple years. I was lucky and got an offer from a former employer. I’ll be commuting but it’s to a stable job with a good schedule the will cover all my financial obligations for the family. I definitely understand how it feels to be thankful rather than stressed.

I was lucky enough to get my resume walked into a 135 company but they’re not sure if they’ll take me. The director of training called and said he’d want a minimum 2 year commitment but has to run it by his boss.

Fingers crossed for you - that'd be cool to stay flying. I was working at a 135 back in 2007 and was able to help a furloughed buddy out in a similar situation. The big boss wanted 2 years to recoup the cost of a type and was wary of airline pilots to begin with, but a couple of us vouched for him and we were able to get him onboard. He ended up getting recalled in 18 months, but he turned out to be such a great hire that the owner had no issue with him going back a little early. Worked out for everybody - the boss got a good pilot (and just as important - a great guy to hang on the road with!) and it removed some of his distaste for airline guys, and while my buddy had a good time flying 135 (especially the layovers - heh), it also gave him a new appreciation for the lazy pace of 121. ;)

I am guessing that you are too young to remember the pilot crash after 9/11. I had a contract job that was ending on 15 September. So on 16 September I was in Anchorage visiting everyone I knew and leaving a resume with them. And visiting all other flying companies as well. Everyone told me they wanted to hire me but was unsure of the future of aviation.

After a couple weeks I went to Alabama to be near a girl I was dating. I figured there would be no flying jobs opening up for at least a year so I took a job as a assistant regional sales director for a sporting goods store, that also had a very good outlook for my future. Like yourself, I was single with no bills. And was living in my 5th wheel so I was very portable.

2 weeks later I got a call from a company in the village formerly known as Barrow, AK. And a couple weeks later I was back in Alaska. I felt to be very fortunate to be back flying so quickly.

Hopefully you won't be out of the cockpit for ''a few years'', and will be back at it soon.

Definitely don’t do that. That turns into eight years real fast. BTDT. :)

Also keep applying. Tons give up saying “there’s 10,000 other people applying” and wait — but there’s still *someone* hired from that pile and the networking is invaluable.

Was just talking to someone who has been talking to the folks working through the pile at FedEx. They’re cranking through their backlog rapidly right now snagging every pilot they truly want from it. Interviewing is difficult right now but they haven’t stopped!

Long shots are better than no shots I guess. Hang in man.
I haven’t applied to any 121 carriers because I’m not going to give up my Delta seniority number. If I have to do a non flying it’s not the end of the world. When I get recalled I’ll just rent a 172 and have you teach me how to shoot an ILS again:)

Fingers crossed for you - that'd be cool to stay flying. I was working at a 135 back in 2007 and was able to help a furloughed buddy out in a similar situation. The big boss wanted 2 years to recoup the cost of a type and was wary of airline pilots to begin with, but a couple of us vouched for him and we were able to get him onboard. He ended up getting recalled in 18 months, but he turned out to be such a great hire that the owner had no issue with him going back a little early. Worked out for everybody - the boss got a good pilot (and just as important - a great guy to hang on the road with!) and it removed some of his distaste for airline guys, and while my buddy had a good time flying 135 (especially the layovers - heh), it also gave him a new appreciation for the lazy pace of 121. ;)
Yea I feel lucky to have any 135 even look at my resume. My dad knows the VP of ops at this company and he was able to walk to resume into the director of training’s office. Again, not a huge issue if I can’t fly. I still have 38 years of doing it:eek:

I haven’t applied to any 121 carriers because I’m not going to give up my Delta seniority number. If I have to do a non flying it’s not the end of the world. When I get recalled I’ll just rent a 172 and have you teach me how to shoot an ILS again:)

LOL I can’t teach an ILS, technically ... :) Thr one rating I didn’t get done before “The Medical Stupidity”. :)

Was mostly just a reminder to keep your hand in — I’d say if this silliness goes on for a couple of years, Delta will still be plenty happy to hire ya when things return to normal pax loads.

You have a great “in” with them, just don’t hurt yourself or whatever target-fixating on them. Not that it sounds like you are too heavily.

Stupid stuff means adaptability... I didn’t and bailed long long ago! Then made it worse by not flying because it was “impractical”. As if it’s ever practical! :)

I continued to help the economy today by scheduling my daughter for next week to get braces on her teeth. :eek:

I forgot in my original list that I also recarpeted the entire house.

And now tomorrow I get a new water heater. Due to the design of our house, it requires the expensive kind with a blower on top to force out the exhaust. :oops:

The plumbing project that started as “install a dishwasher” turned into a five digit contract today. LOL.

Uggggghhhhhh.

I have nice exploratory holes in my basement ceiling to see just how bad it is. It’s bad. It’s all getting ripped out.

Cheaper than the inevitable flood.

Which turned into... shall we replace those tubs? Shall we... etc.

Screw it. It’ll be done. Ha.

I think the plumber was surprised I would sign the contract. Hahaha. We knew this was coming someday.

PVC sucks.

Which turned into... shall we replace those tubs? Shall we... etc.

It's not just house repairs that suffers from this.

When I was working on my cherokee back in 2002, a phrase I learned to HATE HATE HATE was "ya know, while you are at it..."

I stopped counting when parts and subcontracted labor passed $23,500 (which included $14,400 for a Penn Yan overhaul)

@denverpilot

I am hoping I survive and so my does my wallet. What started with the following three issues:
1. kitchen faucet sprayer died and leaked.
2. master bath faucet leaked
3. basement bathroom sink cracked

Turned into:
1. Replace all counter tops in kitchen, new sink, new faucets
2. New sink/faucets/cabinets in all three and half bathrooms
3. Replace everything in the master bath except the floor tile (down to the studs for most of it)
4. Gut four closets (two of which are walk ins) down to the studs and rebuild
5. New raised beds around the patio
6. Re-grade the lawn, replace large patches of soil which did not support grass
7. Replace part of the sewer line in basement which started with a pin hole leak two weeks ago (looks like we will have to redo all the walls and ceiling in a stairwell for this one)
8. Install new water lines outside and sub meter for sprinklers
9. Sprinkler install (in a few weeks)

And that is just since March. I think you are getting off easy :)

Tim

Apparently the economy is doing just fine.

The rear derailleur is busted on my bike. I went to the LBS and they can't get parts. Sold out. Maybe they can get some by the beginning of the year. :eek: He said if I could find parts he'd put them on. I found parts, but many places were sold out. Had to order from multiple sites to get the three pieces I needed. One of which emailed me this morning that my order is canceled as their inventory was wrong and they don't have that part in stock. o_O

I was ordering some Sonos speakers this morning. Several are back-ordered into September or even October. :eek:o_O

We've run into inventory issues on other products as well, and often it's "selling like hotcakes", although some are blamed on supply chain issues.

Used truck prices are also skyrocketing I'm told by a friend that is a GM of two dealerships. He recently sold a lightly used truck for full sticker, only to see the next day the KBB went up $5,000 on that truck. He hasn't been able to restock his lot because the auctions are going sky high.

Used truck prices are also skyrocketing I'm told by a friend that is a GM of two dealerships. He recently sold a lightly used truck for full sticker, only to see the next day the KBB went up $5,000 on that truck. He hasn't been able to restock his lot because the auctions are going sky high.

Mech at work just took his parents on a used truck shopping trip this week. Said none of these dealerships would budge on price. Even the whole walking out tactic to look at other options didn’t work. Here I thought car sales have been slumping since COVID.

Mech at work just took his parents on a used truck shopping trip this week. Said none of these dealerships would budge on price. Even the whole walking out tactic to look at other options didn’t work. Here I thought car sales have been slumping since COVID.

It's my understanding that there is limited production of new vehicles due to covid-19 ... so, hopefully, there will be some return to sanity for new model year.

What's wrong with the ol' water trough/manual water pump outside and Outhouse? No pipes! LOL

Would be cheaper for sure. Not fun in winter though. LOL.

Was fine for grandpa. We’ve come a long way.

Now we just spend lots of money to poop inside when there’s a blizzard raging.

Would be cheaper for sure. Not fun in winter though. LOL.

Indoor plumbing, robot vacuum, new cars? Sheesh! You are living high! :)

Indoor plumbing, robot vacuum, new cars? Sheesh! You are living high! :)

Kinda keeps great-grandma’s old butter churn that sits in the mud room in perspective, eh? :)

Her desk is still built better than most of our other furniture though, and is used every day. Impressive piece of woodworking.

Pinholes in copper are no day at the beach either. QUOTE]

Better than getting a call from the new renter telling you that all the copper pipes in the crawlspace are gone.

It wasn't that long ago. I grew up with an outhouse and chamber pot. We did get an electric pump to pump water from the spring in the cellar to the kitchen sink. We also had a party line phone. (look it up) We were two shorts and a long "U."

As much as I reminisce about life on the dairy farm, alas it is no longer possible in today's world.

yeah, not sure how that happened but I rely on my number one technology phrase: Bill Gates hates me.

Kinda keeps great-grandma’s old butter churn that sits in the mud room in perspective, eh? :)

Her desk is still built better than most of our other furniture though, and is used every day. Impressive piece of woodworking.

My mom still has the bread board from her grandmother and we still use it a few times a year. The board has no glue but all the pieces are locked together with some tongue and grove kind of thing according to a local carpenter.
My dad has the desk from his grandfather, and still uses it everyday.
When reading about the Notre Dame fire in Paris, one of the interesting items I read is that we can no longer build the same structure. Wood today due to higher CO2 content grows much faster and as a result is actually much weaker, so if they rebuilt it with wood from the same tree family today it would not be strong enough to support itself.

Tim

Must be a new thing.

My contractor keeps FaceTiming me from supply houses whenever he forgot to ask a minor question about something he’s picking up like a color or a couple of design differences in parts.

World is weird now. I’m used to them having this stuff in their heads and asking up front.

He does a Group FaceTime including my wife who’s at work and going “why is he doing that?” lol.

Younger guy. He honestly doesn’t know a world without that ability. So strange.

Back