That's going to leave a mark...

Unbelievable devastation. The videos show buildings just being vaporized by the blast wave. Is that ship at the top of the after photo capsized?

This popped up on Facebook. Unreal. Im surprised the ships survived.

FB_IMG_1596649416893.jpg

So say you're in the average spam can single, doing a sightseeing flight along the coast at 500agl, mayne 1/4 or 1/2 mi away. Do you get blown out of the sky?

So say you're in the average spam can single, doing a sightseeing flight along the coast at 500agl, mayne 1/4 or 1/2 mi away. Do you get blown out of the sky?

Based the deviation form the shock wave to buildings and cars quite a way away in videos...not sure how a small plane would not just get obliterated under that kinda force.

Looking at that debris field it is amazing the death toll is ONLY at 135 so far...

All they have found and identified. I'd imagine anyone within a certain distance of the blast would be reduced to very tiny bits.

So say you're in the average spam can single, doing a sightseeing flight along the coast at 500agl, maybe 1/4 or 1/2 mi away. Do you get blown out of the sky?

1/2 mile away? You're probably toast instantly, that's pretty much in the range of the original smoke plume. You may not even be safe 5 miles out depending on how the blast wave hit you. I could see it buckling a wing pretty easily.

I remember when about 10 tons of AN blew up in a semi trailer a couple hundred yards (perhaps closer) to the mobile home that my then girlfriend (now wife) and her family lived in back in the late 1960s. They didn't move back into what was left of that mobile home. Took out windows a few miles away in Moscow, Idaho. Didn't cause that sort of damage in Pullman, WA as the wind was blowing to the east. 2740 tonnes just blows the mind thinking about it. That is a BIG bang.

Memo to self;
Inventory stocks of NH ₄NO ₃.
Store any amounts that might, if ignited, result in a Richter Scale event.... 50 miles out in the desert (well, at least avoid downtown).

Appears they forgot to correct for the difference between AN, which exploded here, and TNT. Typical clueless reporting by the MSM.

If you look at photos of what happened in Hiroshima versus what happened in Beirut, fairly clear there is a large difference in blast size. Of course, Hiroshima was an air burst versus this on the ground.

I’d say you’re done. I was about 2 miles away from just a 500 Ib JDAM from a B-1 and it rocked our aircraft. Couldn’t image being that close to something of this magnitude.

And now they are reporting the ammonium nitrate has been stored there since 2014 when it was abandoned by a Russian businessman.

Unbelievable devastation. The videos show buildings just being vaporized by the blast wave. Is that ship at the top of the after photo capsized?

That ship was docked and rolled in place from the Tsunami. I believe the ship that was docked right next to the crater can be seen submerged about 1/4 the way into the harbor.

Successive (hopefully) frames from a Video, see next post. Frame rate is apparently 29fps.

Ex1 - Copy.jpg

vlcsnap-2020-08-05-06h37m59s791.png

vlcsnap-2020-08-05-06h38m03s392.png

vlcsnap-2020-08-05-06h38m05s973.png

vlcsnap-2020-08-05-06h38m08s657.png

vlcsnap-2020-08-05-06h40m33s047.png

Last edited:
It was. The fireworks lighting off are what provided the necessary energy and heat to light off the ammonium nitrate.

*Edit* Not sure why they keep calling them secondaries.

I've read something that welders were working to repair a hole in the side of the building and to repair a gate. An earlier security review prompted this because they were worried about theft.

Could be CYA, lots of people will be doing it in the coming months.

Back