Level flight,slip indicator ball to the right.

motoadve

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
motoadve
When straight and level the ball is to the right , even with full right rudder trim, I am not able to center it.
Have to put my feet on right rudder to be able to center the ball.

Lifted the nose wheel and looks straight and its locked.
Any ideas?

Cessna 182

Last edited:
Step one. With the aircraft sitting on the ground, completely level, where is the ball?

Sounds like a rigging problem. Before bending the rudder tab, consult the maintenance manual .

In addition to the suggestions above, is this a twin? If so, try taping a yaw string to the windshield for an independent reading.

Ball is centered when on the ground, have two slip indicators, both centered.

Make sure your flaps are retracting completely on both sides.

I'd also be checking the rudder trim. It should correct any minor skidding easily.

Make sure your flaps are retracting completely on both sides.
Indeed. Our flying club had a 182 that flew crooked and it wasn't until I was riding in the back seat one day that I noticed the flaps were not both retracted to the same amount.
While some Cessnas rigging is adjusted by excentric mounts on the wing, some are done with the flaps.

Google for Cessna rigging guide... And do what it says.

+1 on the rigging. As a mechanic I found maybe half of the Cessnas I worked on out of rig, especially the rudder and aileron systems. The manual needs to be followed, yet it seems that many mechanics don't have the manuals or can't be bothered to read them. That rudder is centered by the nosewheel in its locked position, with the steering bungees allowing rudder movement in the air. Pull the tail down so that the nosewheel centers and see if the rudder is centered, and see if there is some free play in the rudder before the bungees make it harder to move further.
Another common problem here are the rudder bar return springs. They get tired or sometimes break and make necessary the need for constant rudder pedal pressure.

Another common problem here are the rudder bar return springs. They get tired or sometimes break and make necessary the need for constant rudder pedal pressure.
And sometimes mechanics forget to hook them back up.

Back