distracted leads to nose over

This guy admits his accident was due to screwing with cameras. I caught a lot of flak awhile back for saying students shouldn’t screw with cameras in training. This is why I say that. Kudos to him for a good save and admitting his fault.

Checklists and a bit of complacency too. He was so familiar with the plane pre mod he “forgot “ about the ferry tank.

Parts of the issue was how that ferry tank was plumbed in. It looks like he fed the ferry fuel into the lines from the tanks to the engine, which, of course, presents that risk of getting air instead of fuel in the engine's carb or injection system. The ferry fuel should have been put into the tanks through dedicated tank fittings, whcih the tanks probably didn't have. Shortcuts present risks.

E-AB airplanes have had enough accidents due to poorly-designed fuel and venting systems. The FARs have plenty of regulations to prevent that and the wise homebuilder should consult those regs even though the E-AB is exempt from them. There is much to learn.

Eh, okay -- probably "checklist discipline" and "distraction" did play a role in this crash.

But isn't it worth considering the possible contribution of choosing to fly with absolutely nonexistent, zip, zero operating margins? The mishap pilot said that he almost immediately recognized the source of the problem. Under most "normal" flight operations, he'd have had a least a few seconds in which to shut off his fuel transfer pump and restore engine operation before he was swimming.

It seems like he was already accepting of a relatively high level of risk, even before things got complicated.

This guy admits his accident was due to screwing with cameras. I caught a lot of flak awhile back for saying students shouldn’t screw with cameras in training. This is why I say that. Kudos to him for a good save and admitting his fault.

You mean touch-n-go Tim? Oh yeah, I remember that thread. I don't know why but that video still cracks me up to this day :D
upload_2020-8-3_19-38-45.png

Bunch of guys locally have superduper Cups with giant tires to land this and that. Funny thing is where he crashed there's a giant asphalt runway 5 minutes away.

Refreshing to not hear a bunch of stories and excuses, 'how it wasn't my faults'.
So much easier to learn from.

ps I like his Tshirt logo

He was incredibly lucky especially with the propeller stopping in the horizontal position. Sadly these videos keep encouraging this type of flying and driving insurance rates up. There are lots of people around here that bought Bush planes on this new YouTube fad and are now selling them because they realize there is nowhere around here to utilize them.

Back