Robinson R22 Rebuild

OkieAviator

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
OkieAviator

These guys have done some pretty cool rebuilds. If you're into MX and building activities they have a ton of videos. Looks like now they're going to spruce up an R22. Will be interesting to see how much they like messing with certified aircraft.

I suspect they don't know what they don't know when it comes to certified aircraft and the FAA.

I suspect they don't know what they don't know when it comes to certified aircraft and the FAA.
But at least they picked a dirt-simple flying machine. The devil is in the details, after it's together (rotor balance, tracking, etc.)

There was a fellow on Mooneyspace that bought himself a basket case Mooney that he was going to restore. I recall him saying something to the effect of "I have a metal brake, how hard can it be?". He was frustrated at his first roadblock, which was to source an engine for his project. There are several variants of the Lycoming 0360, and he had to have the correct one for his aircraft. He had serious issues with that. Restoring certificated aircraft is not for everyone.

Pretty much how it is, assume that's why they have an A&P assisting. I did the same thing on a 172 project, flew that thing almost 400 hours with no major issues.

In part two, they mention they will be getting an assist with an A&P, as well as the FAA. Should be a nice project. I’m going to subscribe and see how it turns out.

oh man the cadence of youtube channels are annoying as hell. I'm glad they're excited, but hopefully someone can steer thing towards the things that actually matter and not just the interior and paint.

oh man the cadence of youtube channels are annoying as hell. I'm glad they're excited, but hopefully someone can steer thing towards the things that actually matter and not just the interior and paint.

Not much you can do on a certified bird. I've watched a few of their builds and I think to be overly excited about strange stuff is their thing.

Yeah. I made it about 30 seconds. The arms flailing around, the music, looks like an MTV reality show.

Back