Finding LAHSO information

Jaybird180

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Jaybird180
I’ve watched this video a couple times, a fatal that has so many options that were overlooked.

One option, that the pilot could have suggested to the tower was a landing at KHOU 13R with LAHSO Rwy 4. How would the pilot get the stopping distance for that intersection? I know it’s supposed to be in the AF/D but I don’t see it.

I’ve watched this video a couple times, a fatal that has so many options that were overlooked.

One option, that the pilot could have suggested to the tower was a landing at KHOU 13R with LAHSO Rwy 4. How would the pilot get the stopping distance for that intersection? I know it’s supposed to be in the AF/D but I don’t see it.

According to the legend in my hard copy AF/D this airport doesn't currently have LAHSO info.

To determine length available, here is always ForeFlight and their ruler feature...

B8583F05-D615-4460-AAD8-22D10FD72932.png

The controller will know, and can/will tell you the runway length available for LAHSO's. Same goes for intersection takeoffs.

IMO, you'd be wise to never accept a LAHSO if they don't give you runway available as part of the request.

This is from the legend, the pages you posted don't have that info

upload_2020-8-3_15-48-32.pngupload_2020-8-3_15-48-32.png

ATC should be able to give the landing distance info if it’s not a published LAHSO.

Does anyone know the answer for 13R
The stopping distance is what you asked for....

That is “depends on aircraft and it’s performance”. Remember the spaghetti charts in your written exam? Or the tables you interpolated?

If you are asking how much runway is available on 13R until you cross 4, it is about 3,000 feet (see the image I posted above).

Or am I not quite getting what you’re asking?

The stopping distance is what you asked for....

That is “depends on aircraft and it’s performance”. Remember the spaghetti charts in your written exam? Or the tables you interpolated?

If you are asking how much runway is available on 13R until you cross 4, it is about 3,000 feet (see the image I posted above).

Or am I not quite getting what you’re asking?

how did you derive the 3,000 feet?

Is your assertion that the pilot should have asked for a LAHSO and that would have avoided the crash?
It would have avoided a lot of the resequencing issues as well as the landing with a tailwind which as I understand is problematic for Cirri (perhaps an OWT).

Of the many "Accident Case Study" videos I have seen, this one makes me the most angry. Every time I watch it I find myself yelling at the jerkwads in the tower for continually prioitizing the other traffic over a pilot obviously having difficulty. About the time the one douchenozzle starts getting snarky with her (over HIS mistake) I just want to reach out through the 'radio' and throat punch him.

Sure, the final straw in the crash sequence was the pilot prematurely retracting the flaps, but I care not what any investigation concludes, the root cause in this crash was ATC. They had it well within their power to vector her around for an upwind landing instead of continually turning her away and trying to set her up for a tailwind landing.

Back