Student Pilot fears

The way to resolve these fears is to conduct your own investigation into the possibility of these things happening and then devising a strategy to mitigate the actual scenario of it happening to you.

How likely will the wings fall off? Search the NTSB database for occurrences. How likely of an in-flight C-172 break up? Search the NTSB database.

Research the concept of "maneuvering speed" and how it protects the airplane from stresses that can tear things apart in turbulence.

Then wander around the airport and check out the 172's built in the 60's and 70's that are still doing great. Some of them may have >10,000 hours on the airframe!

For me it's engine failure, I think about it all the time. I just passed 500 hours and I'm on my third airplane; if you figure out a way to stop thinking about let me know. At least you aren't flying a Piper.

My school has well maintained new G1000 planes and they fly a lot but I am always worried like can the wings fall off due to fatigue or air frame fall apart?

Hi
It’s important that you differentiate between fear and concerns.
Think of fear, if a concern gets to that level, as an emotion that you can control, like getting upset at your dog for peeing on your pants…..
If a concern gets to level of preventing you from doing something you know it’s beneficial to you, and your well being in the future, can be resolved by learning more about the subject and understanding the risks.
Learning is an active process based on accumulated knowledge hat helps to change your behavior.
Learn about it and you will find out that the risk that you mentioned may be at the bottom of the risk / reward list.

That said, don’t brush it off, if you really are at that level talk to your CFI, other pilots, and come to a logical conclusion based on real facts not on imagination or fear.

We all know that Piper pilots are the most skilled and handsome pilots in the universe. Don't be jealous. ;)
At least that last part is true for me, I dunno about skilled though...

I am always worried like can the wings fall off due to fatigue or air frame fall apart? The planes are all late model C172 G1000s but I just can't stop thinking about these scenarios.
Flying is unnatural, so don't beat yourself up for these fears.

Here is what can help:
(A) more and more experience and exposure to flying will help "normalize" it

(B) spend some time looking for inflight breakups of planes. You'll find that some models have virtually none (172, SR22, Trinidad/Tobago) and others have extremely few. Just about every inflight breakup is the result of a pilot mishandling the plane (flying into storms, etc). And sometimes, though almost never, a wing just breaks off if you're flying in an abused Embry Riddle PA28 with a dubious wing join

(C) read about the certification standards of planes.. I believe a 172 is at least 3.8G (4.4 if under 2,300 lbs utility category).. that's A LOT of force. As a number it sounds small, but Superman rollercoaster (for example) pulls barely 4 Gs.. and yet the ride feels very intense http://physicsbuzz.physicscentral.com/2013/04/roller-coaster-g-forces-weve-got-data.html.. multiply your weight by 3.8.. that's a lot. Most people can barely bench their own weight

You'll get used to it eventually. Plus, it's the kind of thing that's not worth worrying about. Fear of the wing snapping off won't make you a better pilot

Hello everyone,

I am posting here today because I am a student pilot currently working on my PPL all the way to CFI and then the hours build to 1500 hours. As a student pilot I am always concerned about one thing and its a habit of overthinking. My school has well maintained new G1000 planes and they fly a lot but I am always worried like can the wings fall off due to fatigue or air frame fall apart? The planes are all late model C172 G1000s but I just can't stop thinking about these scenarios.

Believe it or not, "wings falling off" is a real fear and is not irrational when you are first starting out. I had the SAME fear. How do you get over it? Do a thorough pre-flight each and every time you fly. It only will set your mind at ease, but the process of doing the pre-flight will calm your nerves.

f.

Wings really ought never fail unless the plane is obviously and grossly mishandled.. it's kind of like worrying about the brakes on your car going out or the steering wheel falling off on your car or the roof of your house suddenly caving in and killing you. All of these things can happen, but in all reality should not

For me, what ultimately make me stop worrying about an airframe failure was learning. Once I learned the maintenance procedures and how much engineering goes behind an airplane, I became much more trusting of their basic condition. When operated within their flight envelope and knowing nothing bent or out of place, they should be good airplanes. That said, I still look it over pretty well before every flight in case something isn't in spec.

One day I may be wrong, but I do not go flying unless I've convinced myself that the airplane is not going to kill me. I really hope I'm never wrong, I'm batting 1.000 so far.

As far as Piper pilots having superior skill...yes, they do, because they have to.

I am always worried like can the wings fall off due to fatigue or air frame fall apart?
I recommend learning about why this doesn't happen expect in the most extreme circumstances.

Download the (free) Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge. Chapter 5 is **********

The discussion on load factors starts on page 5-33.

Focus on understanding the Vg diagram (Fig 5-55), discussed starting on page 5-37. Study this on your own and then with your CFI.

You should learn what load factors are, design load limits, and how to fly the aircraft so that the load limit never reaches the point of failure.

More likely to have a mid air..... Seriously, if you are worried about the wings falling off, grab each wing and give it a firm shake on each preflight. If there is no play or clanking, then you will most likely be fine. Then it comes down to your airmanship. Don't over stress or over speed the airplane. Slow down if needed, for turbulence.

The point is most of this stuff is up to you, being safe that is. Your CFI will teach you how do be safe, it's up to you to follow what the CFI says. You also run the risk of death driving, walking, whatever. My wife's niece got run down by a firetruck in NYC that was going to fire and decided to blast up on the side walk to get around traffic. You just never know and really, shouldn't worry about it. Just take care of what you can take care of.

.... but I am always worried like can the wings fall off due to fatigue or air frame fall apart? The planes are all late model C172 G1000s but I just can't stop thinking about these scenarios.

Now would be a good time to learn how to plow through the engine, prop and airframe logs ... especially if you get a lesson cancelled due to weather. While your at it, ask someone to show you everything on a plane that's been de-cowled.

Wings really ought never fail unless the plane is obviously and grossly mishandled.. it's kind of like worrying about the brakes on your car going out or the steering wheel falling off on your car or the roof of your house suddenly caving in and killing you. All of these things can happen, but in all reality should not

Great! Now I got three more things to worry about!! Thanks for nuttin'

With 30 people on the wings of that Mooney that works out to about 4,500 lbs.. give or take. Assuming that's an older M20 we're looking at what, 2,600 lbs? That represent about 1.75 negative G load.. pretty healthy
The Mooney has a carry through spar. I wouldn't go that far with a Cessna or Piper.

Didn't the folks at SFO do this after the Asiana crew was unable to do a VFR landing?

I believe they did, fortunately this niece survived, but was in the hospital for about a year. Still don't know if the NYFD taking shortcuts over pedestrian filled sidewalks.

One way to overcome that fear is to build and fly your own experimental airplane ... or maybe not! :D

Seriously, the more you are around aircraft, study their construction, and grow as a pilot, the more the fear will subside. Healthy trepidation is a good thing that will keep you serious about your preflights, condition inspections, ongoing training, and everyday approach to flight.

Get a copy of the book, "Stick & Rudder" by Wolfgang Langewiesche and read chapter 18 written by Leighton Collins titled "The Dangers Of The Air" for a great explanation as to what pilots fear most and what they really should be fearing.

Engine outs are pretty rare and many times you will get a forewarning if you are really in tune with the engine. You should receive and regularly practice what to do in a situation like that. Engine outs are serious but they do not have to be deadly.

Structural failures are even more rare than engine failures.

What you are going through is part of the process ...

She survived, after a year in the hospital she is still living in NYC, hopefully the NYFD isn't driving on sidewalks any more.
In my State they would enjoy "Qualified Immunity" to do it again because they had lights and sirens on. It's a law with loose wording, but I suppose I can't vent about legislative matters here with the SZ gone.

Can't forget this old classic Piper wing pre-flight inspection. Heck of a walk around

Last edited:
In my State they would enjoy "Qualified Immunity" to do it again because they had lights and sirens on. It's a law with loose wording, but I suppose I can't vent about legislative matters here with the SZ gone.

That's a good point Jaybird, we weren't involved in any of the litigation so I'm not sure how she made out with the city, my impression is not too well along with a lifetime of pain from being run over by a moron employed by the city.

I was concerned at first when learning in a Citabria that the propeller would hit the ground when I brought the tail up from a 3 point attitude, but it never happened so I eventually got over it.

Hello everyone,...... I am always worried like can the wings fall off ...

Put your fears to rest. If you will draw a simple vector diagram of the forces acting on the aircraft in flight, you will find that it’s physically impossible for the wings to fall off the plane.

Rather, in event of a structural failure, the plane would fall off the wings.

Now, don’t you feel better?

It would be more productive to worry about the aircraft-meteor collision than the wings folding up. Unless you are flying a Zenith, failing wings are pretty much unheard of outside of CBs.

Back