Did the cyber attack on Garmin effect anyone here?

Nope. Dumped Garmin cloud/subscription based products years ago.

Well, almost. With their acquisition of DeLorme I've got one device left to cut off.

Fascinating watching this one play out, though.

Nope. I avoid Garmin when possible and don't use any of their online based stuff. Too many bad customer service experiences. Not necessarily aviation related.

nope. unlike joggers who apparently can't function without tracking their steps, I was able to fly during the 'outage'. I had already updated my 650 just prior to the outage so I was good there. I tested logging onto flygarmin during the outage and couldn't access it a few times, but I don't need to for any reason, really, other than to download new databases when it's time.

My garmin watch stopped uploading to the app. In their infinite wisdom, the garmin developers wrote the app in a way that it can't download the data from the device onto the phone unless the app has high-speed internet available. Oh the humanity, next time I connect the watch, its going to have to download a weeks worth of data :rolleyes: .

InReach messages were VERY slow and tracking was spotty last week.

it made me very sad. but I got over it pretty quickly.

Yup, my bicycle rides didn't upload to Strava. It was pretty bad, but caught up now.

My garmin watch stopped uploading to the app. In their infinite wisdom, the garmin developers wrote the app in a way that it can't download the data from the device onto the phone unless the app has high-speed internet available. Oh the humanity, next time I connect the watch, its going to have to download a weeks worth of data :rolleyes: .

Curious... mine downloaded just fine, it just wouldn't sync with myfitnesspal. I had to do math. Like a peasant.

Since we're always so pedantic around here.....you mean affect. Effect is a noun.

Reactions: Ted
Garmin Pilot, G3X Touch, and Inreach all worked just fine for me. The day following the attack I got an auto-pay receipt at 3:02 AM so I know their billing department never missed a beat. ;)

Downloaded some new files for Garmin Pilot a couple nights ago. Seemed back to normal. Need to update a couple portable Garmin GPSs for cars when I get around to it.

Everyone who has Garmin will be impacted, as well as those who plan to buy Garmin. Not just aviation but all product lines. In the end, the consumer is going to pay for the ransom.

Everyone who has Garmin will be impacted, as well as those who plan to buy Garmin. Not just aviation but all product lines. In the end, the consumer is going to pay for the ransom.
Yes and no. I doubt there would be a material price or feature changes for a one off incident. Changing the prices would hurt Garmin on a competitive basis.

However, on the longer term it likely means Garmin will/should enhance cyber security. That means additional costs to Garmin, this is paid by either hiring more resources or accepting a lower revenue productivity for existing resources. This will either cause eventual price hikes or slower product releases.

Tim

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

Yup, I crushed 3 segments on Strava and my Fenjx data wouldn’t load. Had to wait 5 more days to get my KOM

Back