RV10 or RV14? Tall pilot comfort

4RNB

Line Up and Wait
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
4RNB
6'6" 280# here. Love the features (payload, speed, range) of these planes. Any opinion which would fit a large guy better?

Thanks

Can’t speak for the 14, but I took a 6’7” 330lbs guy for a ride last weekend and he fit in my 10 without issue. However, you’re really going to need to sit in both and feel for yourself even if someone your size chimes in.

I will say it will most likely be easier to get in and out of the 14.

I'm 6' 7" 200# myself. I haven't sat in the -14, but have flown both the -7A and -10 quite a bit. The -10 is infinitely more comfortable than the -7A. I don't remember the dimension difference between the -7A and -14 off the top of my head, but I think the main difference is the cabin width, which would be very beneficial, but still wouldn't compare to the -10.

For the -7A, you have to 'slide' down into the seat and once you're in, you're in. With the -10, there's definitely more room to shift your weight/legs around a bit when you get a little restless. Also, with the -7A, we didn't even install the forward two positions of piano hinges on the bottom seat pan - we just installed the seat pan as far back as it will go. We also use thinner-than-most seat cushions. They're not bad at all - actually pretty comfortable - but they're not as 'plush' as you may see with other seats. Even with these changes, my head is about 1-2" away from the top of the canopy.

With that said, I have done several long flights in the -7A -- Iowa to Las Vegas, Iowa to Boston + NYC, Iowa to San Antonio -- and it wasn't torture by any means, but once the -10 came along, the -7A got relegated to 'fun' plane and the -10 took over cross-country duty.

My cousins are all pilots and all over 6' 4"... I've had two of them in my 10 at the same time, no issues. Back is apparently has more room than the front.

Back