Final flight in the US

dppintr2

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Rene
In 2004 Harris Ranch airport in California was the last stop of what became my last flight in the US. Later that year the US started with more stringent entry requirements for visitors from Europe, new pilot licenses were introduced with FBI background check requirements for foreigners, and the application had to be made in person in the US (before it could be applied for in Frankfurt). It was quite a hassle, and we did not make flying vacations in the US anymore. But I have fond memories of the trips that we made in the US, the first one in 1993.

o_017.jpg

Harris Ranch airport in 2004

-o-o-

Last edited:
What a wonderful trip you detailed. And sad a few people in this world make a mess of it for too many of us.

Looked like a great trip, thanks for sharing. Sad that it became such a hassle, that's the government for you...

Maybe something to reconsider in the future; I am from NL as well and found the process long (Long as in waiting..) but pretty easy not complicated. If you need details, sent a private message.

Though things might be more complicated than 20 years ago I don´t think it´s prohibitively so. Getting a 61.75 license just took some time, but it was otherwise pretty easy. I then got a "full" FAA certificate a few years ago, which is more complicated since you require a visa, but for me it was well worth the effort. I would not want to go without our regular (flying) vacations in the US. I hope the travel ban will get lifted eventually, but with the current outbreak numbers it might still take a while.

Back