Aspen AD: FAA-2020-0723

WannFly

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Priyo
https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...2/airworthiness-directives-aspen-avionics-inc

The FAA is adopting a new airworthiness directive (AD) for certain Aspen Avionics, Inc., Evolution Flight Display (EFD) EFD1000 Emergency Backup Display, EFD1000 Multi-Function Display, and EFD1000 Primary Flight Display systems installed on various airplanes. This AD imposes operating restrictions on these display systems by revising the Limitations section of the airplane flight manual (AFM). This AD was prompted by an automatic reset occurring when the display internal monitor detects a potential fault, causing intermittent loss of airspeed, attitude, and altitude information during flight. The FAA is issuing this AD to address the unsafe condition on these products.

Just saw this in my email box as well. To clarify, this is a proposed AD, published for comments to be received no later than September 14. The proposed AD prohibits all IFR and night VFR flight with the referenced Aspen units. Ruh-roh.

I had the option to install either an Aspen or dual G5s when I replaced my vacuum instruments. Glad I went the G5 route.

FYI, the cost impact of the AD is quite humorous, only $21.25 per product--to alter the flight manual prohibiting said flight as per the AD. Why, that sounds like hardly any impact on the installed fleet at all! :confused:

i think this AD applies right away (This AD is effective August 17, 2020.) restricting to Day VFR ops only

"The required corrective actions must be accomplished before further flight, which does not allow the time necessary for the public to comment and for publication of the final rule."

(1) This AD applies to Aspen Avionics, Inc., Evolution Flight Display (EFD) EFD1000 Primary Flight Display part number (P/N) 910-00001-011, EFD1000 Multi-Function Display P/N 910-00001-012, and EFD1000 Emergency Backup Display P/N 910-00001-017 units that meet both conditions in paragraphs (c)(1)(i) and (ii) of this AD.

(i) Software version 2.10 or 2.10.1 is installed;

(ii) Independent attitude, altitude, and airspeed back-up instruments are not installed.

Aspen provided the following clarification over on BeechTalk:

"This AD only applies to Evolution 2000 MAX and Evolution 2500 MAX systems with software v2.10 or v2.10.1AND if any of the required backup instruments (ASI, ATT, ALT) have been removed. This AD is not applicable to MAX displays that have been updated to software v2.10.2 or any legacy Aspen Avionics displays."

For those installations where the AD does apply, a software upgrade to version 2.10.2 (available since April 2020) takes care of it, and eliminate the limitation.

- Martin

Seems like a tiny bump in the road for those affected.

Glad it was just a simple firmware update.
Better yet: that firmware had already been developed, certified, and made available to customers.
I can see how some people may have missed a heartbeat when they first saw the AD, but in the end this is likely of no real impact.

- Martin

Back