Precise flight, they don't mention Cirrus in their literature though, but the holder was pretty cool.
Cirrus did come out with a Service Bulletin for the Precise Flight Safelock cup holder, SB2X-25-25.

It's not a major alteration and the cup holder is a simple accessory held on by Christmas tree fasteners (push mount), so it's not a life or death product. In the eyes of the FAA, the legality of selling a 3d printed part is what makes me nervous. The real question is, would I need a PMA or specific form to sell these to aircraft owners.

https://www.faa.gov/aircraft/air_cert/design_approvals/pma/pma_des/pma_des_examples/
"An aircraft owner or operator may produce articles for installation on their own product without a Parts Manufacturer Approval. The installation of those articles must comply with 14 CFR part 43. If an owner or operator intends to sell these articles for installation in another's product, then the producing owner or operator requires a Parts Manufacturer Approval."
Sell only the file, not the product, and others can print their own.

I've read where Garmin has a new version of this cup holder that integrates with the G1000. You need to pay an annual fee for file updates of course. But you get to see real time on the glass how much is in the cup, what the temperature is, etc. A bargain at $10,120.

btw - it does of course have blue tooth

Last edited:
Ah, thanks. We needed one! Gotta have someplace to put my beer when I'm updating databases.

It's also handy to avoid spilling the beverage so pilots can text while taxiing.

Oh man.. I can picture the marketing for the G7 now, replete with sexy zoomed in shots of carbon fiber cup holders with titanium trim

yes but you have to run it through the cirrus marketing filter...

G1000 -> Cirrus "Perspective"

Titanium Cupholder -> Cirrus "Refreshmanship"

I wish my plane had a cupholder.

Hi everyone,

I work as an A&P mechanic and find many many Cirrus planes that come in with a cup holder that does not close properly. This all stems from a single linkage that breaks or pops off and goes missing. I 3d printed several new parts and checked fitment and function, this could be an alternate solution instead of replacing those expensive cup holders.

That linkage is supposed to activate the chute when it fails.

Blake quoted an interesting rule.

“An aircraft owner or operator may produce articles for installation on their own product without a Parts Manufacturer Approval. The installation of those articles must comply with 14 CFR part 43. If an owner or operator intends to sell these articles for installation in another's product, then the producing owner or operator requires a Parts Manufacturer Approval."

I wonder what “installation” might mean. There’s a whole spectrum of possibilities: Fastening with screws for sure I’d imagine is “installation,” but what about clips, adhesive, tape, velcro, suction cup, wedging it between two things in the cabin, or just letting it rest in a recess. Somewhere in that spectrum must be a threshold for what would allow an operator to sell it to another.

The real question is, would I need a PMA or specific form to sell these to aircraft owners.
Yes, if you intend to produce the item for sale on a TC'd aircraft. There are a number of guidance docs on that. But you can pursue the Owner Produced route under 21.9(a)(5) which has some specific requirements to include the owner has to be involved in one of five tasks with producing the part. There are a few articles out there, one by Bill O'Brien, that explain the details on these type parts to include a few threads on that topic here. The only "issue" I see at the moment is the 3D printing side as the FAA is still a bit squeamish on additive machining for certified parts which an Owner Part is considered.

Last edited:
I wonder what “installation” might mean.
FYI: There's guidance that defines what is considered installed and what is considered "loose equipment." There's also a few docs on the use of velcro, clips, etc. for certain equipment. But as usual it all depends....
Somewhere in that spectrum must be a threshold for what would allow an operator to sell it to
The selling part is not the problem. It's producing/manufacturing the part for intended sale that triggers Part 21. But as I mentioned in the post above, you as owner can make the part under Part 21 by following a few requirements and legally install it.

Hi everyone,

I work as an A&P mechanic and find many many Cirrus planes that come in with a cup holder that does not close properly. This all stems from a single linkage that breaks or pops off and goes missing. I 3d printed several new parts and checked fitment and function, this could be an alternate solution instead of replacing those expensive cup holders.

Would anyone be interested in a 3d printed linkage that will fix your Cirrus cup holders?
would there be anyway you could share the file with me?

Back