Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic Wash on airplane?

buzzard86

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jim R
Has anybody used this stuff on their airplane? Works phenomenally on the cars and the guy in the hangar across from me uses it on his Archer. Trying to figure out if it’s indeed safe for planes. I’m on a tie down and fighting a losing battle to keep ahead of the elements with a protective coat of wax. This creates a nice lasting bead that would seem to offer some protection between waxing.

I did query the manufacturer, who responded that it was “ph balanced” and “safe for all exterior surfaces” but also advised me to treat a small inconspicuous area first. That last warning gave me pause - I’m not worried about the paint I just don’t want to damage the aluminum.

Not trying to cheap out, just underwhelmed by some of the aviation specific stuff like WashWaxAll for any lasting protection.

-Jim

Has anybody used this stuff on their airplane? Works phenomenally on the cars and the guy in the hangar across from me uses it on his Archer. Trying to figure out if it’s indeed safe for planes. I’m on a tie down and fighting a losing battle to keep ahead of the elements with a protective coat of wax. This creates a nice lasting bead that would seem to offer some protection between waxing.

I did query the manufacturer, who responded that it was “ph balanced” and “safe for all exterior surfaces” but also advised me to treat a small inconspicuous area first. That last warning gave me pause - I’m not worried about the paint I just don’t want to damage the aluminum.

Not trying to cheap out, just underwhelmed by some of the aviation specific stuff like WashWaxAll for any lasting protection.

-Jim
Probably your best approach and ROI is to invest in a good cover. Bruce's or another vendor. For about $1000 or so, guaranteed protection for the entire airplane, about $500-600 for canopy area (all the windows and doors).

https://www.aircraftcovers.com/

No, I'm not a shill, nor do I have his products because I'm in a hangar. But Bruce's products come highly recommended.

Hi Murphey

I do have a cabin cover as well as a wing/tail cover set, but I fly nearly every day and they’re just not practical to install/remove with that frequency.

I’ve been trying to keep a good coat of wax on the plane but it’s a losing battle and I can see the protection degrade almost immediately, particularly on the tops of the wings and empennage. Just trying to salvage what’s left of my paint. This stuff is a quick wash-on rinse- off which send like a practical intermediary step, presuming it’s aluminum safe.

-Jim

Best option is a hangar your plane, never fly it, and repaint it every other year. Sorry, I couldn't help myself...

I use a similar product to the one you mentioned. It smells good, looks nice, but I do hangar my plane, so I can't comment on how it holds up outside.

A member on this board is (I think) part of a company called Plane Perfect. Because I met him and thought he was a really nice guy I choked on the very expensive wax from this outfit. I am glad I did, because I've never seen a shine that deep on anything before in my life. The stuff is spendy, but you don't use much and one coat easily lasts a year. My first bottle lasted four or five years. My Mooney gets compliments wherever it goes. Because I was SO impressed with the wax I splurged on the do-it-yourself ceramic coat from the same place. The stuff wasn't so spendy, but it was a lot of work to put on. It didn't make the airplane any shinier, then again after that wax the only thing that could make my airplane shine more would be divine in nature. After my last flight the bugs did come off far more easily than I am used to, however.

Last edited:
Best option is a hangar your plane, never fly it, and repaint it every other year. Sorry, I couldn't help myself...

I use a similar product to the one you mentioned. It smells good, looks nice, but I do hangar my plane, so I can't comment on how it holds up outside.

Hi Jack
Hoping that I may have a hangar option in the not too distant future, but I may not have any paint left by then. :)

Appreciate the feedback and confirmation that you use something similar. I may have strayed from the intent of my post - the stuff holds up great on the cars so I’m optimistic that it would do the same on the plane. I’m trying to figure out if it reasonably safe to use on the plane. I’ve had a few people tell me that any non-aviation product runs the risk of pooling in the seams and possibly damaging the aluminum. I don’t know of this risk is real and, if so, how to determine what safe.

-Jim

I’ve had a few people tell me that any non-aviation product runs the risk of pooling in the seams and possibly damaging the aluminum. I don’t know of this risk is real and, if so, how to determine what safe.

-Jim
I don't think that's a risk. I don't soak the plane. Spray it on lightly, wipe it off. I use the same product on my truck, which is very dark blue and I don't see spray left on it when done.

ANYTHING "Turtle Wax" is just fine for your airplane. I use their sprays all the time..........and have for 5 decades.

This is the stuff I’m talking about. I presume it’s a similar formulation to the spray on stuff, but this is a wash and rinse product.

ACE23831-6012-4729-9891-3-B368-B8920-B5.jpg

I kind of figured that “ceramic” may be a buzz word. Is the silicon formulation bad for our planes?
No, but it doesn't last long. It's just the current marketing fad. It's also not the best on the windows/windshield, and I'm not a Turtle Wax fan. I wash with Adam's Polishes Soap in a foam cannon and an Adam's wash pad, and then top with Adam's H2O Guard and Gloss.
IMG_2353 copy.jpg

No, but it doesn't last long. It's just the current marketing fad. It's also not the best on the windows/windshield, and I'm not a Turtle Wax fan. I wash with Adam's Polishes Soap in a foam cannon and an Adam's wash pad, and then top with Adam's H2O Guard and Gloss.
View attachment 88325

Hmmm, thanks. (That finish on your plane looks great, BTW). I guess I may try the a Turtle Wax stuff since it sounds like it’s harmless. It’s appealing simply because it seems like I could periodically swing through the wash rack, do a quick scrub and rinse, and go fly it with some added protection between actual detailing.

I use car stuff on planes all the time, instead of the wash and wax which is a maintenance product , use turtle wax hybrid ceramic spray coating. 2 coatings if you can after washing and coating preferably with a soap that does not contain any wax. I don’t have any after available in my hangar or around the airport, I use ONR for rinseless wash and then put some wax on it during late spring.

I use Plane Perfect products for wax and window cleaner. I completely clean the aircraft each spring including the belly and apply two coats of wax including the underside. I use an auto detail spray (typically a Meguires) as a wing wipe after I get the bugs off following each flight except when traveling. I am in a hangar so I am not sure how long the stuff will last outdoors 24/7/365. But it looks nice in there

I use the Turtle Wax Seal and Shine, and it works great and super fast and easy to apply and take off. I'm sold on it and also use it on my cars. It lasts a solid 4-5 months and mine sits outside. I use wash wax all and their mop to wash the plane, as I don't have easy access to water at my airport. Takes about 4 hours by myself to wash it and wax everything but the top of the wings (182). by that point i'm tired.

Any wax with silicon in it might be problematic, but waxes containing silicone are fine.

:D
Real Ceramic coatings do have silicon in them. I suspect the Turtlewax stuff just used the word Ceramic to jack up the price.
Silicone has no business near paint that ever might be repainted. Look up fisheye.

How do they get SiO2 into solution? It goes significantly into solution in super-heated water, or under basic conditions (greater then pH 7.5 or 8). Purified silica gel is made by dissolving raw silica (aka sand) in caustic, then titrating with acid. The silica precipitates when the pH gets low.
The point is, depending on if the SiO2 is really in solution, you may be coating your plane with caustic. Not very good for the aluminum.

Real Ceramic coatings do have silicon in them.
Silicon is the name of element, so silicones have silicon, too.

How do they get SiO2 into solution? It goes significantly into solution in super-heated water, or under basic conditions (greater then pH 7.5 or 8). Purified silica gel is made by dissolving raw silica (aka sand) in caustic, then titrating with acid. The silica precipitates when the pH gets low.
The point is, depending on if the SiO2 is really in solution, you may be coating your plane with caustic. Not very good for the aluminum.

I believe it is in suspension, not solution. The coatings are a resin, the silicon is talcum fine and supports the brittle resin from cracking once it cures.

Also, put the word “nanotechnology” in the name and the price quadruples

I use Mothers waterless wash and wax to clean, and will be using their CMX product next opportunity. I used it on my car and am very happy with the results.

IMG_4259.jpeg

I've wondered about the 'ceramic' coatings that are now popular for cars and boats. You make a good point about the pH of a silicon solution. Since silicon is the used for abrasives and manifests itself as silica sand worldwide, it sounds counterintuitive to use it as a paint treatment.

The coating is probably microparticles as mentioned above, and I suppose it uses a polymer binder to make a solution. But I don't know how that chemistry would work.

Klasse High Gloss Sealant. Wash the plane well and dry. Apply a couple of very light coats of the Klasse. Very easy wipe on wipe off process but does need to be done on a dry day because it needs to cure overnight. Gives a great shine and holds up to the elements well. Much easier to wipe of bugs etc. Not expensive at all at $20 a pint which will do the plane many times over.

Back