Second happiest day of my life?

cgrab

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
cgrab
Well, that time has come. We are moving and the closest airport isn't that close to where we will be. I fly occasionally now and any less would be neglect. The airport doesn't have hangar space but does have rentals. I guess that's my life when I move.
I put a free ad on Barnstormers and got 5 responses within the hour. I sent all of them plane pics and logbook pictures. It will probably be gone in a couple of weeks.
Why don't I feel happy?

Feel happy. Look for your next plane, not knowing where or when “next” will happen.

I'll miss the freedom of ownership you don't get in renting. I think I'll miss my 1962 Willys Pickup more when it goes because I drive that more often than I fly the plane.

I put a free ad on Barnstormers and got 5 responses within the hour.

If I send you a money order for over the asking price, will you send me the cash back.?? :rofl:

Actually I would be more interested in the Willys.... if you were not so far away. Got any pictures.??

I sold my plane in January 2019, and I’m buying it back next week. Who knows!

Funny as I was talking to my former hangar buddy recently that now owns a Rockwell Commander. I asked him if he ever missed his Piper Cherokee. Nope! He said he never thought about it much at all. He asked if I ever felt sad over a previous airplane. For me it's kinda like an old girlfriend, the wife treats me so good that any former girlfriend never comes to mind anymore. Don't look back ... move forward!

Got a few pictures of what you're selling?

Apparently that's how the watertight hatches functioned on the Titanic.

I don't think it was the hatches that "opened" on the Titanic. ;)

Funny thought about missing a previous plane. I’m on #3 which I love. I have fond memories of #1 but don’t really miss it - not right for our use-case now. #2 was a friggin disaster... I don’t think I have a single positive memory from that plane, only traumas lol.

But third time’s a charm!

I'll miss the freedom of ownership you don't get in renting. I think I'll miss my 1962 Willys Pickup more when it goes because I drive that more often than I fly the plane.

TBH, I understand you. Owning something is a real pleasure. And renting... I have a feeling that I stole something when I use rented vehicles.

Fligthaware has a picture of n3475t at Oshkosh a few years back.
Depending on where you're going, a true equity flying club can be a nice in between. I've been in one for 4 years and it's really a great way to go if you can't fly enough to justify a plane. It also has way less hassles than renting and way less hassles than owning, though you do have to schedule it if you want to fly a plane. Often though, you can do that spur of the moment (quick check at the schedule online and hit "reserve" if it's free). I've saved the password in my phone, so I can literally do it when I first wake up and am considering the day ("Do we want to make a breakfast run up to Jefferson County?")

Prepare an expense budget showing before and after (the sale) expenses. That should at least bring a small smile to your face.

Depending on where you're going, a true equity flying club can be a nice in between. I've been in one for 4 years and it's really a great way to go if you can't fly enough to justify a plane. It also has way less hassles than renting and way less hassles than owning, though you do have to schedule it if you want to fly a plane. Often though, you can do that spur of the moment (quick check at the schedule online and hit "reserve" if it's free). I've saved the password in my phone, so I can literally do it when I first wake up and am considering the day ("Do we want to make a breakfast run up to Jefferson County?")
I just joined a flying club - hope to have the same experience soon. Maybe own an airplane someday - around here it is expensive. Heck - the county even hits you with property taxes on top of high hanger or tie down fees.

I had the same feeling when I sold my last race car. I knew that was the end of my racing career, and I knew the time had come for me to hang up my Nomex, but watching it go down the street did not feel good.

I know that feeling. I had race cars and a race fuel business. What started out as a hobby turned into a full time job that took me far into the racing world, further than I ever thought possible. When I closed that door for the last time there was tears in my eyes. But it was time too move on and move forward.

Just an update...over a dozen folks interested in pictures and to ask questions. Three conversations and one visit from a guy who said he was a Garmin installer and the Garmin autopilot was not STC'd for my plane so he wouldn't buy it...before I opened the hangar. He did say he would pass along what a nice plane it is to anyone who was looking.

I learned to generate an email with pictures of a) all the logs on the floor (complete logs); b) left, right, front and back views; c) Interior; d) left and right panel; e) the last annual for the plane and engine; and d) closeups of stains and any other issues.

Back