Foreflight - Flight Plan Transfer Problem

SoCal 182 Driver

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
SoCal 182 Driver
I have Foreflight and a Garmin GNS 530W (and a Flightstream 210). Up until today, I was able to transfer flight plans from Foreflight to the 530W, or from the 530W to Foreflight.

Today, however, I was not able to transfer flight plans from Foreflight to the 530W (I got an error message on the 530W). Interestingly, I was able to transfer FROM the 530W to Foreflight, but not the other way around.

I'd appreciate any advice on remedying this problem.

Thanks!

I have Foreflight and a Garmin GNS 530W (and a Flightstream 210). Up until today, I was able to transfer flight plans from Foreflight to the 530W, or from the 530W to Foreflight.

Today, however, I was not able to transfer flight plans from Foreflight to the 530W (I got an error message on the 530W). Interestingly, I was able to transfer FROM the 530W to Foreflight, but not the other way around.

Thanks!
This has never happened to me, but the first thing I do when something unexpected happens with FF is shut it down (double tap the home button and swipe FF off the screen) then restart. Solves all my problems.

This has never happened to me, but the first thing I do when something unexpected happens with FF is shut it down (double tap the home button and swipe FF off the screen) then restart. Solves all my problems.

That's normally my go-to fix, but I was in the middle of an IFR lesson with an instructor looking at me, so I didn't take the time to do a re-start of FF.:frown2:

That's normally my go-to fix, but I was in the middle of an IFR lesson with an instructor looking at me, so I didn't take the time to do a re-start of FF.:frown2:

I get it, but don't ever let anyone looking at you affect your decisions, troubleshooting process or rush you when flying IFR, nobody. You can always ask for delay vectors when IFR, always. Your instructor will be impressed.

I get it, but don't ever let anyone looking at you affect your decisions, troubleshooting process or rush you when flying IFR, nobody. You can always ask for delay vectors when IFR, always. Your instructor will be impressed.

Really good advice. Thank you.

It's a great lesson, things get easier when you learn it. It goes for pushy controllers too. I had a good instructor.

No reflection on my instructor. The pressure was self-imposed. We were sitting in a run-up area, and I'm sure an extra few minutes would not have made a difference to him. I just felt like we needed to keep the lesson moving (especially because I had my best IFR approach to date!).

Last edited:
No reflection on my instructor. The pressure was self-imposed. We were sitting in a run-up area, and I'm sure an extra few minutes would not have made a difference to him. I just felt like we needed to keep the lesson moving (especially because I had one my best IFR approach to date!).

Didn't mean it to slight your instructor. He probably didn't even notice. It is good to practice entering stuff manually too. Have fun, it's a great rating to get.

Thanks!

Do you recall the error message?

Do you recall the error message?

See attached photo.

However, I was speaking with a friend who does avionics work about the problem. He said that if the data in Garmin and in Foreflight are inconsistent – meaning that they are both not current – the 530W will reject the inconsistent data coming FROM the iPad/FF, but will still send (outdated) data TO the iPad/FF.

So, that's the current working theory.

20200729_115604_HDR[1].jpg

Maybe it just disagreed with the choice of destination

Maybe it just disagreed with the choice of destination

Possibly true. I receive error messages on some of my choices of destination..generally come from the boss lady though

Back